A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

A ground I never visited. Muirton Park, Perth. Any memories?

May be an image of outdoors

p.s. @Dundee Hibernian any of the Thistle page from your League Review?  I remember my pal had one from a couple of seasons later and it was an oversized thing before they became the more standard size. Sadly I think it has been misplaced.

The first time I went it was with a Saintee mate. Saints beat Arbroath 4-0 to clinch promotion and there was a good natured pitch invasion at the end. That game could be seen as the start of the Saints revival after a torrid decade in the 1980s. They had a decent team too- Balavage, Maskrey, Heddle among others. 

I saw a 0-0 draw there between Meadowbank and Saints. Pretty forgettable, I think Stuart Sorbie missed a sitter for Saints. 

I was also at the last ever game at Muirton. The first people in got a free commemorative badge. Unfortunately I lost mine years ago. 

24 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Some pretty good players listed here, @jagfox.

19555412_PTFCSFLR(1).thumb.JPG.f798f7705740b840f29660dd18a91c74.JPG

1594526154_PTFCSFLR(2).thumb.JPG.b6c25e501201d8fd680ba83c217fc4e5.JPG

Cheers for posting. Would have been 12/13 that season. Was the 1st one I had a season ticket. Also allowed to go to Saturday afternoon away games on my own. Travelled on the old St. Georges Cross / Jackie Husband bus. 

Edited by German Jag

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

I was there quite a few times, and saw a number of games there, not always involving St Johnstone. It used to be a favoured venue for second replays in the Scottish Cup when a north team played a side from further south. Dundee United played Queen of the South there in 1963, but I was deemed too wee to go on a midweek school night.

Was allowed to go in 1988 to see this game, which Arbroath won 1-0 after two 1-1 draws with Stenhousemuir. I don't think the crowd reached three figures. The programme, as you can see, was a poor photocopied effort

179104540_MuirtonAFCvSFC.thumb.jpg.6fcb4a961fcf5e48bd8389ccb64c8fe3.jpg

What I recall of the ground on big match days was it was similar to visiting Fir Park before the Motherwell terrace was concreted (or is that my imagination), even the segregation when it eventually was installed reminded me of 'Well's home.

And I think there were very few pubs close to the ground, unless you went to the bowling club (Kinnoull?).

57 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Some pretty good players listed here, @jagfox.

19555412_PTFCSFLR(1).thumb.JPG.f798f7705740b840f29660dd18a91c74.JPG

1594526154_PTFCSFLR(2).thumb.JPG.b6c25e501201d8fd680ba83c217fc4e5.JPG

Thanks m9. Yeah, a lot of good players. Interesting how many of them came direct from amateur and boys clubs back in that era.

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was surprised to see the all white outfit listed as the first choice for that season: surely that's wrong.

Yeah, we would have had red and yellow, broad stripes as first choice/ home kit back then. 

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

p.s. @Dundee Hibernian any of the Thistle page from your League Review?  I remember my pal had one from a couple of seasons later and it was an oversized thing before they became the more standard size. Sadly I think it has been misplaced.

Only ever visited twice.

First was a league game where we went 3-0 down and fans started to drift. We then got it back to 3-2 and everyone rushed back to the fence. We lost 4-2.

The other was the Scottish Cup Quarter Final defeat (3-2) where Saints went on to play the now-deceased Rangers in the semi.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was there quite a few times, and saw a number of games there, not always involving St Johnstone. It used to be a favoured venue for second replays in the Scottish Cup when a north team played a side from further south. Dundee United played Queen of the South there in 1963, but I was deemed too wee to go on a midweek school night.

Was allowed to go in 1988 to see this game, which Arbroath won 1-0 after two 1-1 draws with Stenhousemuir. I don't think the crowd reached three figures. The programme, as you can see, was a poor photocopied effort

179104540_MuirtonAFCvSFC.thumb.jpg.6fcb4a961fcf5e48bd8389ccb64c8fe3.jpg

What I recall of the ground on big match days was it was similar to visiting Fir Park before the Motherwell terrace was concreted (or is that my imagination), even the segregation when it eventually was installed reminded me of 'Well's home.

And I think there were very few pubs close to the ground, unless you went to the bowling club (Kinnoull?).

Loving your turn of phrase there.

“too wee to go in 1963”

”allowed to go in 1988”

You must have matured well in the ensuing 25 years! Greenie deserved & awarded, had a wee chuckle there. 

8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Dundee United played Queen of the South there in 1963

The 2nd replay was at Ibrox not Muirton. I remember going to the first game on a Friday night as Dundee were at home to the Ibrox mob the next day. Both the Tannadice and Dens games ended 1-1. 

19 hours ago, jagfox said:

Muirton was well beyond what was both safe or repairable before Saints moved out. Could have possibly redeveloped the main stand and stayed, but financially would never have worked. By the end, only the left 3rd of the main stand in the picture was usable (wooden stand deemed a risk after Bradford fire). Memories of the smell of rubbing alcohol coming from the changing rooms which you could smell on the terrace next to the tunnel.

However, despite its demolition, there is even today, bits that remain in place and others you will be familiar with and still in use.

The site is now an ASDA, but there is a part of the outer wall that is still there and has a small substation/electrical box in it.

The floodlights were retained and are still in use at McDiarmid today. The goals too, were taken to McDiarmind and used initially, although long replaced. There is also a couple of the seats from the old main stand in the reception area at McDiarmid.

Most importantly, part of the pitch is in my mums back garden! 😀

Without the move out of Muirton, Saints would be on par with Ayr and QOS at the moment. To move to a new stadium for the net cost of £1 was incredible business. 

20 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Prior to Muirton, St Johnstone played at the Recreation Ground (1885-1924), which was badly prone to flooding.

1624462087_TheRecreationGroundwaspronetoseriousflooding.jpeg.4ecc4228f2e319961f0740f02053aa76.jpeg

It sat between the railway line and Perth Prison, on Edinburgh Road.

Great bit of nostalgia is that despite the ground being gone nearly 100 years, there is still clues it was there if you look hard enough.

The below picture is from the corner of the street leading up to the ground. Just above the windows, you can just make out (clearer in person) the signage pointing fans in the direction of the ground.

The flats are the same ones in the background of Dundee Hibernians picture. 

Screenshot_20220803-093840_Earth.jpg

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Without the move out of Muirton, Saints would be on par with Ayr and QOS at the moment. To move to a new stadium for the net cost of £1 was incredible business. 

This will sound mental and quite probably is, but I wouldn't swap - any of it.

At one point I would have, but I love Palmerston and it would break my heart if we ever left it.

54 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This will sound mental and quite probably is, but I wouldn't swap - any of it.

At one point I would have, but I love Palmerston and it would break my heart if we ever left it.

I think Palmerston is great and I know what you mean about leaving. It's probably taken a generation or two even for McDiarmid to have made enough memories for folk. Anyone under the age of say 35, will know nothing but McDiarmid as home. Even then, it's really needing some TLC. Maybe looks passable on TV, but the seats are all breaking, front rows and hidden bits have mismatch colours and internals are long overdue an upgrade.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club have or are looking into whether it is better to move again, although doubt they would unless it was a JV with PKC. 

Having been there a few weeks ago, Palmerston still has history and charm, but it is in desperate need of some major maintenance. The newest stand is looking its age now and while it wouldn't take much, needs a bit of an overhaul, away end does at least. But the home terracing behind the goal shouldn't be touched, love it. The Tergeles (will have that wrong) end probably needs flattened. 

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

The floodlights were retained and are still in use at McDiarmid today. The goals too, were taken to McDiarmind and used initially, although long replaced. There is also a couple of the seats from the old main stand in the reception area at McDiarmid.

You mean the posts were replaced 5 times and the crossbar three, but it's still the same goals.

image.jpeg.28195491f410acd9f73069eaf40166ca.jpeg