A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 02/07/2022 at 13:29, AyrshireTon said:

Three Scotsmen in Odense Stadion in 1979 for a challenge match between a Danish League Select and Liverpool, part of a series of games to celebrate 75 years of League Football in Denmark.

Graeme Souness scoring with Frank McGarvey in the background. The keeper on the deck is my uncle, who played in Denmark at the time (also played junior for Ardrossan, Port Glasgow and Greenock). 

Liverpool won 5-2.

1125246748_1979.8.7FBU2-5Liverpool(6).thumb.JPG.0b61d99d520dbe8b0d834992744bef3c.JPG

Did your uncle ever fully recover from the accidental stamp he was about to receive ?

Managers when they were players. Alex Neil in the colours of Mansfield Town, 2004-5.

He lasted just a season at Field Mill despite being a near ever-present with 41 appearances. Keith Curle was sacked by Mansfield during the season and his replacement, Carlton "The Relegator" Palmer, freed Neil at the end of the season- after which he came up the road to finish his career with a long spell at Hamilton Accies. Andy Barrowman was at Mansfield then too.

Neil is front row, second from right in the team group.

gettyimages-681555522-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.74fc07ea962e6cb0e10d892cace81251.jpg200405.jpg.6d31281850d720d5ec6ffe2b8d8a6d89.jpg

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He was into gambling long before moving to Liverpool. Was never out of the bookies in Springbank Road.

Agreed. I probably never phrased it right. I believe in his book he wrote that through his friendship with Emlyn Hughes and Bob Paisley his betting took on a whole different level as they had “contacts” plus the increased wages led to increased bets and subsequent losses. Unless you can control you gambling it’s a terrible addiction. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

No photos alas, but I didn't know Caley were the first Scottish team to have floodlights:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-62134336

Think a lot of clubs experimented with lights, and probably before that too, but none were really up to any acceptable standards. The first between Scottish League clubs was Stenhousemuir v Hibernian in November 1951, but Ochilview had had lights since 1945, with the lights turned on after a match against Dumbarton. The SFA wouldn't sanction their use in competitive games until some years later.

More on floodlights in Scottish football:

https://knoji.com/article/floodlights-in-scottish-football/

From the article:

"The very first attempt at floodlights in Scottish football happened way back in October 1878. Third Lanark invited Vale of Leven to play a friendly match under lights. At the time, electricity was very much in its infancy. The ‘floodlight’ used was nothing more than a single beam that was operated from a platform fifty feet above the pitch. Much of the game was played in darkness as the operator struggled to move his ‘light’ to keep up with play. It was a decent enough experiment of playing under artificial light but it wasn’t going to catch on – not like that anyway. As an aside, the match finished 2-1 to Third Lanark."

Ochilview match in 1951: Stenhousemuir 3 Hibernian 5. Hibs wore their traditional green jerseys with white sleeves, Stenhousemuir maroon and white hoops.

1452707598_Advert7thNov51.thumb.JPG.6121aa0a3346dd8b30cf0f10594754ad.JPG

613089114_SFC3Hibs5(1).thumb.JPG.f9ce62ce0869155245a33afd24a5ba91.JPG

862084483_SFC3Hibs5(2).thumb.JPG.d8b214ab19ec8523f4bd081deb7d7143.JPG

823581368_SFC3Hibs5(3).thumb.JPG.478a8197a2374805bbac6ff7de9099e8.JPG

A ground I never visited. Muirton Park, Perth. Any memories?

May be an image of outdoors

p.s. @Dundee Hibernian any of the Thistle page from your League Review?  I remember my pal had one from a couple of seasons later and it was an oversized thing before they became the more standard size. Sadly I think it has been misplaced.

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Went with my old man to a midweek game at Muirton and sat in the old stand. Went to try and get something to eat and had to go down the emergency stairs at the front to get to the terracing where there was an old fashioned pie hut. Got a pie. Took a bite and spat it out. Seemed to be steak and kidney or something. Awful. And I think we lost.

11 minutes ago, jagfox said:

p.s. @Dundee Hibernian any of the Thistle page from your League Review?  I remember my pal had one from a couple of seasons later and it was an oversized thing before they became the more standard size. Sadly I think it has been misplaced.

I'm on it. Give me til later this afternoon. 

30 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I've mentioned the former Clydebank players who drink in my local. Another ex-player who drinks there is ex-Saintees left back Stewart McBean.

One of the first away games I remember attending was early 1977 at Muirton. Saints beat Saintees 5-0.

I asked SMcB if he had played against Saints when Fergie was our manager.

"Aye, a couple of times." 

"Did you play I the 5-0 game?"

"No, I don't remember that one."

Next time I saw him I showed him this.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=197702120

To be fair he took it in good spirit and is a nice guy.

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 27/06/2022 at 16:29, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren had an all white shirt for several seasons during the 60s so United would have changed when they played each other at Tannadice....or so you would think!!!

In the 60/61 season they played a Scottish Cup tie at Tannadice. Saints shirt that season was all white but for some reason United didn't change so the Saints kitman made a dash across the road to borrow Dundee's home kit.

That proved no deterrent as Saints won 1-0 thanks to a Rab Stewart goal.

image.png.3db272298425b3961caa20f880bb0a9e.png

i have seen a photo of a dundee utd v st mirren scottish cup tie in which saints wore a borrowed strip from dundee due to colour clash