A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 17/06/2022 at 09:11, Dundee Hibernian said:

A wee batch of pages from the SFLR of 1980-81: Killie, Jambos and Doonhamers. Jim Jeffries displaying a rare smile on the Hearts' pages.

209944859_KFCSFLR.thumb.JPG.e84838ffbc5c90e96bbc98af81eeb9f6.JPG

1541756207_HMFCSFLR.thumb.JPG.5ad5cbe19cdac71d895c4aa9a165fbd2.JPG

975820633_QotSSFLR.thumb.JPG.3ab098774bfc26f47739c1c394a26852.JPG

The days when clubs primarily signed local boys, please come back ? 

815406033_IMG_20220618_1454566702.thumb.jpg.5d269ea053fe5d8a5ef0deeb7a5d6169.jpg

Anent the old Meadowbank stand this photo (in "Historic Saints of Edinburgh" by George Campbell) shows the stand in its original setting at the Gymnasium.

You entered the back of it from Royal Circus via gates and a bridge. The gates were still to be seen a few years ago but might be gone now.

A pal and I were reminiscing (talking Shyte, in other words) last night and the subject of Hampden came up. Specifically, the attendances and the size of the terraces as seen from various photos on this and other sites. I have a vague memory of a Football Annual, back in the late 60s or early 70s. The inside front cover was a two page aerial shot of Hampden during a Scotland England game and the inside back cover was a similar shot of a Queens Park League game. 

Can anyone confirm my memory? 

Does anyone have the Annual and can they scan the photos? 

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Photograph pages from the 1980-81 Scottish Football League Review.

I had thought the Drybrough Cup was a competition run by the SFA, until looking back at this publication.

714637428_DUHoMSFLR.thumb.JPG.24ced238706d29ecd8adf4a0f43e36ac.JPG

177471974_FFCRFC.thumb.JPG.8530b79e98bb4a9edf7f94bc953ef419.JPG

For Bairns-related clarity, George Watson the multi centurian GOALKEEPER, is between Hay and Perry on the back row.

Unsure of front left as a result. is it Pogo Smith?

Also: that's quite a different shade of blue in the Rangers photo to ones used by any club based at Ibrox hence.

Funny seeing Billy Urquhart in a Rangers lineup there. I knew he played for them for a short while; I used to dread him lining up against Thistle for Caledonian for years afterwards as his goal record in the HL was insane.

I found this Rangers-minded blog post ( https://thelowerthirddotnet.wordpress.com/tag/billy-urquhart/ ) which gives a fair record of the 1984 Caledonian/Rangers SC clash.

My uncle, a huge Rangers fan, secured briefs for myself (age 11) and himself for the game. Despite being a Jaggy, I was obviously wanting Caley to win. I remember at the turnstiles, I just walked in and nobody challenged me! When I told my uncle, he took my ticket back outside and sold it for £6 to some dude, splitting the proceeds with me. I was rich!

I will actually be in the background of the first photo here, as we stood along the touchline at about the halfway line. I remember in the second half Davie Cooper standing completely unused on the wing while Rangers went route 1. My uncle was going tonto at the misuse, or lack of use, of such a talented player. The tactics continued in the second half and were successful. Peter McCloy was launching the ball right to the edge of the Caley box.

Great memories.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

For Bairns-related clarity, George Watson the multi centurian GOALKEEPER, is between Hay and Perry on the back row.

Unsure of front left as a result. is it Pogo Smith?

Also: that's quite a different shade of blue in the Rangers photo to ones used by any club based at Ibrox hence.

https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byseason/photo.php?year2=1980

According to ‘bettermeddle’ it’s Dave Watson, of whom I have no recollection at all.

7 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byseason/photo.php?year2=1980

According to ‘bettermeddle’ it’s Dave Watson, of whom I have no recollection at all.

Billy Johnston front centre. Was a great player for Saints during the 76/77 1st Division championship.

Here he is in the 1976 Xmas Day game at Kilbowie, a 2-2 draw.

9 hours ago, Piquet said:

A pal and I were reminiscing (talking Shyte, in other words) last night and the subject of Hampden came up. Specifically, the attendances and the size of the terraces as seen from various photos on this and other sites. I have a vague memory of a Football Annual, back in the late 60s or early 70s. The inside front cover was a two page aerial shot of Hampden during a Scotland England game and the inside back cover was a similar shot of a Queens Park League game. 

I remember seeing that but can’t remember which annual. Possibly The Scottish Football Book or Topical Times.

16 hours ago, Piquet said:

I'm thinking I've seen that too: perhaps one of the Scottish Football Book annual series, editor was Hugh Taylor.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I found this Rangers-minded blog post ( https://thelowerthirddotnet.wordpress.com/tag/billy-urquhart/ ) which gives a fair record of the 1984 Caledonian/Rangers SC clash.

Noting the referee was Hugh Young (Larkhall) 😁

On 18/06/2022 at 07:10, Jacksgranda said:

I was at Allan Park, this was when Cove were amateurs.

I played quite a few times there when Cove Rangers were in the top amateur league.  I will never forget the first time we played them at our ground (pleasure park) they turned up in a bus and all players and officials wore club jumpers and ties....it was as if Real Madrid had visited the village.

I hated playing at Allan Park a) pitch too wee and b) Cove too good

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I played quite a few times there when Cove Rangers were in the top amateur league.  I will never forget the first time we played them at our ground (pleasure park) they turned up in a bus and all players and officials wore club jumpers and ties....it was as if Real Madrid had visited the village.

I hated playing at Allan Park a) pitch too wee and b) Cove too good

I have no idea of why we ended up there. Drink may well have been taken, (it usually was back then). The most obvious reason is that we knew somebody who was playing, but that rings absolutely no bells whatsoever. Vague recollections it was mid week.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm thinking I've seen that too: perhaps one of the Scottish Football Book annual series, editor was Hugh Taylor.

Noting the referee was Hugh Young (Larkhall) 😁

Spotted that; just a wee bit of insurance by the SFA. 😉

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Obviously not the edition you’re talking about, but I have one of the Hugh Taylor books.

CF1F53A2-B804-42CE-9AE7-A866E25988EF.jpeg

Forgotten footballers who were actually quite good. Dumbarton legend Stuart MacIver who scored goals for the Sons in all three divisions. Signed in 1984 in the Premier League and ended up with Dumbarton as also-rans in the basement.

I also for some reason quite liked this bright gold Dumarton shirt sponsored by Polaroid.

Left for Clyde in 1992 where he couldn’t buy a goal, wasn’t popular & retired. Not sure what he’s doing with himself now.

C2298DC1-825E-4C87-AEFD-3FE384ABF8F5.jpeg

21 hours ago, Piquet said:

Might have been these two photographs from the excellent "Your Old Stadium" thread? It's well worth a read and is in the Gold Forum.

QP in action at Hampden in 1975. 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/209779-your-old-stadium/&do=findComment&comment=9915962