A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 12/06/2022 at 13:51, Dundee Hibernian said:

1785961023_DbFCSFLR.thumb.JPG.c287f4b0a318e2f1914d2642a7fdab49.JPG

Noting, as @Ya Bezzer! points out, some statistics are wildly wrong in the SFLR, the publisher also managed to get John Gallacher's name wrong in a photo caption beside the list of Sons where the name is spelt correctly.

image.jpeg.599b1e6159c460d68582eb9de8ca84bc.jpeg

The above mentioned Gerry Marshall and Pat McCluskey in the same photo

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Lochgelly Albert Juniors, 1948/49.1505314138465_orig.thumb.jpeg.b5f752f0b9aace320e75a506a8e04b76.jpeg

Lochgelly briefly had a football team in the league in the 20s- Lochgelly United, who featured in the doomed third division of 1923-26. The "Happylanders" (what a nickname) had an undistinguished league career but astonishingly a shakycam video exists of their cup tie versus Celtic from the 1922-23 season. Amazing really:

https://streamable.com/en5mo

Celtic won 3-2 that day at United's Recreation Park. Recreation Park subsequently had houses built on it, but one of United's earlier grounds, Reid's Park, is still open ground, with a vestigal remnant of the old western banking still visible.

lochutd.JPG.fbe874d2542a7fcf24338f3fc637fea1.JPG

Both clubs shared gold & black colours. The "Berts" are a small club who will be in EOS Division Two next season. Lochgelly United recently re-appeared as a strong amateur team in the Fife Amateur League, playing at Moore Park, not far from Gardiners' Park where the "Berts" have been based since inception.

That's amazing! Obligatory crowd shots showing moustachioed men wearing flat caps, and even wee boys wearing flat caps but sans moustache. Solitary policeman plodding stoically round the perimeter

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Lochgelly Albert Juniors, 1948/49.1505314138465_orig.thumb.jpeg.b5f752f0b9aace320e75a506a8e04b76.jpeg

Lochgelly briefly had a football team in the league in the 20s- Lochgelly United, who featured in the doomed third division of 1923-26. The "Happylanders" (what a nickname) had an undistinguished league career but astonishingly a shakycam video exists of their cup tie versus Celtic from the 1922-23 season. Amazing really:

https://streamable.com/en5mo

Celtic won 3-2 that day at United's Recreation Park. Recreation Park subsequently had houses built on it, but one of United's earlier grounds, Reid's Park, is still open ground, with a vestigal remnant of the old western banking still visible.

lochutd.JPG.fbe874d2542a7fcf24338f3fc637fea1.JPG

Both clubs shared gold & black colours. The "Berts" are a small club who will be in EOS Division Two next season. Lochgelly United recently re-appeared as a strong amateur team in the Fife Amateur League, playing at Moore Park, not far from Gardiners' Park where the "Berts" have been based since inception.

Film from the days before the phrase "Look away now if you don't want to know the score" was coined. Lovely stuff.

Sad to see wee Davie Wilson's passing announced to day. Aged 85, Davie played for many years at Ibrox and was instrumental in many of the club's triumphs in the 'sixties. Later he turned out for Dundee United and then Dumbarton, both with considerable success. He favoured his right foot, but was very good with his left, and mostly turned out as a left winger.

Also a manager at the Sons and Queen of the South, Davie gained 22 caps and scored 10 times (probably) for his country.

One memory of Davie which sticks in my mind was his goal, his second of the match for United, to defeat Partick Thistle at Firhill towards the end of 1969-70 season. Thistle were struggling at the foot of the table, and Davie refused to celebrate his goal as it would have pushed the side he trained with at Firhill towards the abyss. 

Great player.

44.thumb.jpg.192def190252ce91a33d673af17b7e03.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

Sad to see wee Davie Wilson's passing announced to day. Aged 85, Davie played for many years at Ibrox and was instrumental in many of the club's triumphs in the 'sixties. Later he turned out for Dundee United and then Dumbarton, both with considerable success. He favoured his right foot, but was very good with his left, and mostly turned out as a left winger.

Also a manager at the Sons and Queen of the South, Davie gained 22 caps and scored 10 times (probably) for his country.

One memory of Davie which sticks in my mind was his goal, his second of the match, to defeat Partick Thistle at Firhill towards the end of 1969-70 season. Thistle were struggling at the foot of the table, and Davie refused to celebrate his goal as it would have pushed the side he trained with at Firhill towards the abyss. 

Great player.

44.thumb.jpg.192def190252ce91a33d673af17b7e03.jpg

I seem to remember him paying for our reserves in his late 40s

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think he was in his early 40s when he was at Killie, but he was always naturally fit, helped by being a non drinker/non smoker.

He was born less than 2 weeks  before my father so by the time I was going to the football regularly he was nearing the end of his career.  

I became more aware of him when he came to Kilmarnock as assistant manager.   Could still cross a great ball during the warm ups.  

As you say he was very fit, probably someone well ahead of the trend in his playing days. 

I think I was talking rubbish when I said he played for our reserves in his late 40s - I now think that was Rab Stewart. 

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think he was in his early 40s when he was at Killie, but he was always naturally fit, helped by being a non drinker/non smoker.

4 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

He was born less than 2 weeks  before my father so by the time I was going to the football regularly he was nearing the end of his career.  

I became more aware of him when he came to Kilmarnock as assistant manager.   Could still cross a great ball during the warm ups.  

As you say he was very fit, probably someone well ahead of the trend in his playing days. 

I think I was talking rubbish when I said he played for our reserves in his late 40s - I now think that was Rab Stewart. 

Presumably Davie had a job in Ayrshire while at Kilmarnock because I remember him coming to the house to sell my folks their living room carpet. Can't imagine many footballers of his stature doing that in the future!

My old man was a big fan so it was a done deal anyway 🙂

Here's some shots of the 1962 England game at Hampden where Davie got the opener in a 2-0 win for Scotland...

b4e868f83cd017e5339bd81e71d1a29e--intern

GL829817.jpg

GL829805.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

Aberdeen FC, 1938-39. The side finished third in the league behind the bigoted arsecheeks and made the Scottish Cup semi-finals, losing in a replay to eventual beaten finalists Motherwell.

Black and gold stripes had been Aberdeen's colours for 35 years by this stage and are the city's "traditional" colours. Aberdeen East End juniors, who play in Pittodrie's shadow, still wear these colours.

I am sure some bright spark will know why, but Aberdeen changed to red shirts in March 1939 and red has been the team's colour ever since.

aberdeen-football-club-1938-39-in-colour.jpg.aa73559609f2e1cd232678742c13b2de.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Aberdeen FC, 1938-39. The side finished third in the league behind the bigoted arsecheeks and made the Scottish Cup semi-finals, losing in a replay to eventual beaten finalists Motherwell.

Black and gold stripes had been Aberdeen's colours for 35 years by this stage and are the city's "traditional" colours. Aberdeen East End juniors, who play in Pittodrie's shadow, still wear these colours.

I am sure some bright spark will know why, but Aberdeen changed to red shirts in March 1939 and red has been the team's colour ever since.

aberdeen-football-club-1938-39-in-colour.jpg.aa73559609f2e1cd232678742c13b2de.jpg

I have never read an explanation why this was done. I think the black and gold is a lovely combination.

I think I read somewhere that teams with "solid" jerseys, i.e. no stripes or hoops or quarters or halves, were more successful, but Celtic would tend to prove that wrong.

Maybe the % of teams with solid shirts is far greater than those that aren't, hence being a self fulfilling prophecy.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'm glad Aberdeen went to all red; unique in the Scottish leagues. Too many black and gold teams elsewhere.

Do Stirling Albion nae play in all red ?..... I'm pretty sure they used to anyway ?

When that Aberdeen photo was taken Stirling Albion were known as King's Park and that club disappeared when their ground was hit by a Luftwaffe bomb. They also- weirdly- spent their last season in Stirling's familiar colours- red shirts / white sleeves.

Only Alloa, East Fife & Dumbarton had black and gold kits in the year when that Aberdeen photo was taken, and all were in the legaue below. Only Thistle and Motherwell had genuine kit clashes that season in the Scottish First Division.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'm glad Aberdeen went to all red; unique in the Scottish leagues. Too many black and gold teams elsewhere.

nowadays still only Alloa, Annan Athletic, East Fife, Dumbarton, Dundee United (at a push), and "Livingston", are in the gold/orange and black register. 6/42- not so many!

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

1 minute ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

nowadays still only Alloa, Annan Atheltic, East Fife, Dumbarton, Dundee United (at a push), and "Livingston", are in the gold/organ and black register. 6/42- not so many!

In my head I still count Berwick Rangers, plus a number of HFL teams, so there's loads haha. I think they're horrible, but that's only my personal thing. I wouldn't count DUFC, and Dumbarton have had a few sensational strips.

Point about Aberdeen being (almost) unique in all red still stands.