A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Celtic line up to play Ireland in the Mick McCarthy testimonial against Ireland in Dublin in 1996.

5419E64A-1C27-4A29-85D1-F4117C501AD8.jpeg

So who were Celtic playing, then...

Centrefold (SFLR 80-81).
227335440_Aberdeencentrefolds.thumb.JPG.03e2545f6997616f4765ff8a52c1a814.JPG
Some great players in there, a few wee fatties, and Andy Considine's dad. John McMaster, especially, was a player I admired, but bad injuries, some not vey accidental, restricted his career.

McMaster’s injury is why all Dons fans hate liverpule

A fine summers day outside, so let’s head back to late winter of 2011 and Formartine United 2-0 Lossiemouth at North Lodge Park, Pitmedden. Mark Simpson of Formartine (red and white) watches Kevin Grant of Lossiemouth on what was one of the three coldest days I’ve ever spent watching football. The other two being a trip to Forfar in January 1996, and a cup final between Banks O’ Dee and Huntly last season. This was the closest I’ve ever come to subscribing to the idea of summer football, despite the game going ahead on a date (11/03) that would almost certainly be part of a summer season.

The rest of the photos from that day - https://photos.app.goo.gl/YH7TKT8bUG9Het2s9

2CA29AB4-E54C-4728-82D3-E3C04DA5D954.thumb.jpeg.69de9dae74e0acd5f80612f400951087.jpeg

On 08/06/2022 at 16:21, Dunfermline Don said:

Just noticed that the photos on the cover show some of the biggest teams in Scotland at the time and a certain city has no representation!

I have nearly all the Scottish League Review books.

It has to said the stats in them, at least the early editions, are absolutely atrociously inaccurate. 

On 10/06/2022 at 20:34, Dundee Hibernian said:

Centrefold (SFLR 80-81).

227335440_Aberdeencentrefolds.thumb.JPG.03e2545f6997616f4765ff8a52c1a814.JPG

Some great players in there, a few wee fatties, and Andy Considine's dad. John McMaster, especially, was a player I admired, but bad injuries, some not vey accidental, restricted his career.

Bobby Clark blowing out his arse, just getting to the photo.

Edited by Boghead ranter

On 09/06/2022 at 22:52, Arch Stanton said:

They are, always happy to talk about their playing days with the occasional (good natured) dig at me since they had a pretty decent record against St. Mirren towards the end of their careers.

Gal in particular regularly brings up a game at Love St. in the season when we won the cup. He saved a Gardner Speirs penalty and Bankies won 1-0.

Two really genuine guys, great servants to the Bankies and indeed the Sons too.  Is Coan's Bar your local btw ?

20 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I have nearly all the Scottish League Review books.

It has to said the stats in them, at least the early editions, are absolutely atrociously inaccurate. 

I'm sure I have the full set in the loft, and yes, there were a few errors.

The earlier editions of The Wee Red Book were also pockmarked with mistakes and some very random photo pages.

Lochgelly Albert Juniors, 1948/49.1505314138465_orig.thumb.jpeg.b5f752f0b9aace320e75a506a8e04b76.jpeg

Lochgelly briefly had a football team in the league in the 20s- Lochgelly United, who featured in the doomed third division of 1923-26. The "Happylanders" (what a nickname) had an undistinguished league career but astonishingly a shakycam video exists of their cup tie versus Celtic from the 1922-23 season. Amazing really:

https://streamable.com/en5mo

Celtic won 3-2 that day at United's Recreation Park. Recreation Park subsequently had houses built on it, but one of United's earlier grounds, Reid's Park, is still open ground, with a vestigal remnant of the old western banking still visible.

lochutd.JPG.fbe874d2542a7fcf24338f3fc637fea1.JPG

Both clubs shared gold & black colours. The "Berts" are a small club who will be in EOS Division Two next season. Lochgelly United recently re-appeared as a strong amateur team in the Fife Amateur League, playing at Moore Park, not far from Gardiners' Park where the "Berts" have been based since inception.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman