A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Just now, House Bartender said:

And it's plain old "Celtic" as opposed to "Glasgow Rangers" (remember them?). Didn't they both once prefix with the town name?

I think Celtic always preferred "Celtic".

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Climbed into the loft and rescued this, which was the first Scottish Football League Review published for season 1980-81. Forword by James Farry, and priced at £2, it helped you find nearest branches of the Clydesdale Bank, nearly all closed down now, like the SFL itself.

There's a double page spread for each team, in alphabetical order per league. Pages are too big for my scanner, but I could photograph a few as samples.

DSCN4458.JPG

Jack Copland and Tony Higgins in the Saints v Thistle picture.

We finished third in the league and won the Anglo-Scottish Cup the previous season.

4 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Just noticed that the photos on the cover show some of the biggest teams in Scotland at the time and a certain city has no representation!

One of the capital clubs relegated that season and another playing in the second tier.

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

There were two Kelty Rangers, one went out the game in 1929, the other in 1970 after 40 years. I think they were a junior side, as they recorded a crowd of 3000 in a match v Valleyfield Colliery in the Scottish Junior Cup, but later turned juvenile and became nomadic. There was also a Kelty North End Rangers, which probably merged into the second Kelty Rangers after the Second World War.

Given the date Kelty Rangers (the junior side) went burst in 1970, with Kelty Hearts formed in 1975, juvenile side which evolved into Hearts may have been loosely related to the bankrupt team.

Take it they like Rangers and Hearts in Kelty

lol

37 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Take it they like Rangers and Hearts in Kelty

lol

There was also a Kelty Thistle, Kelty West End, Kelty Our Boys, Kelty Athletic and a plain Kelty. I've got a directory listing Scottish clubs through the ages: it is an Excel file in an old format. I'll try to attach it here.

EDIT: I can't recall the source of this file, if anyone could help, I'd be grateful

clublist1.xls

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

21 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The other David Moyes (Berwick, Dunfermline, Meadowbank) from a League Review book

185067635_IMG_20220607_235009533_MP2.thumb.jpg.9a9699a7d3c6519347dcabb13bed92a0.jpg

A hard B. of a midfielder he was slightly before my time but a cult hero with Meadowbank fans.

In my mind that’s what football players  should look like. Thoroughly unimpressed with having to have his photo taken and the photographer dare not ask him for an alternate pose, probably hoping to get this shoot wrapped up as quickly as possible.

If that were today the player would be all jacked and tanned and tatted-up with that Fanny fascist razor-cut hairdo they all have and a little trimmed beard and plucked eyebrows, mean-mugging with his pretend-hard man act and making the photographer take a hundred shots with his head angled just-so to catch  his “best side” and stopping to review every picture before his agent allows him to sign off on one.

c***s.

Edited by Luddite

Thinking about this thread earlier, I was trying to remember games that really did stick with me even if they were between fairly pish sides.

This one between Clydebank and Brechin City at Kilbowie in autumn 1990 was one such- Brechin won 4-3 in an astonishing topsy-turvy game that I was at as a neutral.

1130.jpg.1f2b238615cfa9c736982cb02e2b339f.jpg

The goal here shows Tommy Coyle putting Bankies 3-2 up from the penalty spot but a bizarre equaliser via the post and the back of Jim Gallacher's perennially bald napper, and then a late Paui Ritchie winner saw one of City's very few bright spots that season. The old First Division was a terrific league- a really good mix of the "best of the rest" full time sides and part time teams.

Brechin ended up bottom of the table and releagted along with John Clark's Clyde, their last season as squatters at Firhill. Bankies had a mediocre campaign treading water in mid-table. Falkirk won the league and Airdire went up with them. Owen Coyle had 17 goals by late September but then got injured, so Gordon Dalziel ended up top scorer.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

There was also a Kelty Thistle, Kelty West End, Kelty Our Boys, Kelty Athletic and a plain Kelty. I've got a directory listing Scottish clubs through the ages: it is an Excel file in an old format. I'll try to attach it here.

EDIT: I can't recall the source of this file, if anyone could help, I'd be grateful

clublist1.xls 3.64 MB · 3 downloads

Didn’t open link but it’s possibly this one http://sfha.org.uk/club-directory.htm

Edited by Eednud

On 07/06/2022 at 18:20, Ranaldo Bairn said:

For about 4 or 5 years after the last one in 2006 or thereabouts, I used to write annually to the SFL/SPL asking for its return. Sadly, the polite reponses were always negative. A mighty loss to the game, these books.

I only had the 1983/84 one (that I can recall) with the orange (or was it tangerine because United had won the League?). I loved it and spent many an evening in its company.

Do you have the Aberdeen main picture from 1983/84? I think it was from the old Rugby Park

42 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I only had the 1983/84 one (that I can recall) with the orange (or was it tangerine because United had won the League?). I loved it and spent many an evening in its company.

Do you have the Aberdeen main picture from 1983/84? I think it was from the old Rugby Park

Aberdeen's main photo was Eric Black winning the Cup...

20220609_071836.jpg