A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Hate to pick on Falkirk further but...

GL444127.jpg

25 years ago tonight 🙂

I was pleased when Killie won the final, but recall being furious at the referee appointment for the semi (Killie v United), who, I looked it up, was the late Jim McCluskey. My anger, which has now dissipated, was based on poor Jim living a few miles from Kilmarnock, and over 100 miles from Dundee.

Nonetheless, I wish we had referees of his abilities today.

Programme from Hearts v Third Lanark on 9th January 1965. Hearts won 3-1. A fairly solid Hearts team there, going by the team lines, with no obvious stars, apart from maybe Jim Cruickshank and Alan Gordon, perhaps. Willie Wallace didn't become a "star" until he went to Parkhead, imo. Evan Williams, the Thirds goalie, also ended up at Celtic. Doug Baillie at centre half. The Kilgannon up front is perhaps a brother of Johnny and Jim Kilgannon. Looking at the league table, despite having only 7 points from 18 points, Thirds were by no means isolated at the bottom of the table, only a point behind Airdrie - with a game in hand - and 3 behind Dundee United. Alas, Thirds were at the start of a notorious run of 21 successive league defeats, interrupted by a 5-1 Scottish Cup win at Telford Street, followed by 2 draws and a defeat in the second replay from eventual finalists, Dunfermline Athletic, in the next round. Third Lanark then went on to lose their opening 5 sectional Summer Cup games before signing off with a 5-2 win over Airdrie.

Image 1 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

Image 2 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

Image 3 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

On 09/05/2022 at 11:13, Jacksgranda said:

Queen's Park v Rangers, top flight programme from season 1956/57, one of @HibeeJibee's fabled Glasgow Monday games. Queen's finished a creditable 13th that season (out of 18), with 29 points, 5 clear of 17th placed Dunfermline, although they crashed and burned the following season, finishing bottom with only 9 points, 19 off safety. The match finished Queen's Park 4 Rangers 6, in front of nearly 34,000 fans.

Image 1 - QUEEN'S PARK  V  RANGERS  ( MON 22ND APRIL 1957 )

Image 2 - QUEEN'S PARK  V  RANGERS  ( MON 22ND APRIL 1957 )

Interesting team lines...Image 3 - QUEEN'S PARK  V  RANGERS  ( MON 22ND APRIL 1957 )

Image 4 - QUEEN'S PARK  V  RANGERS  ( MON 22ND APRIL 1957 )

Image 5 - QUEEN'S PARK  V  RANGERS  ( MON 22ND APRIL 1957 )

Seems this was Easter Monday 1957 so probably explains the healthy crowd. 

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The Kilgannon up front is perhaps a brother of Johnny and Jim Kilgannon.

That's Bill (Willie) Kilgannon, who Thirds signed from Celtic: a wing half. I think there were two Johnny Kilgannons and two Jim Kilgannons, all were senior players at one time or another. Bill's brother John was killed in a traffic accident later in the 'sixties, Jim had also been involved in the crash.

The other two Kilgannons were cousins.

The Kilgannon who died in the crash had played for a time for Luton in the top division in England.

luton-town-john-kilgannon-19-6-94966-p.jpg.121a8fe53837e92d7d2963ccd4702b31.jpg

I think all five Kilgannons were from Bannockburn.

9 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That's Bill (Willie) Kilgannon, who Thirds signed from Celtic: a wing half. I think there were two Johnny Kilgannons and two Jim Kilgannons, all were senior players at one time or another. Bill's brother John was killed in a traffic accident later in the 'sixties, Jim had also been involved in the crash.

The other two Kilgannons were cousins.

The Kilgannon who died in the crash had played for a time for Luton in the top division in England.

luton-town-john-kilgannon-19-6-94966-p.jpg.121a8fe53837e92d7d2963ccd4702b31.jpg

I think all five Kilgannons were from Bannockburn.

Thanks, I knew it wasn't Johnny or Jim but I couldn't trace the third brother. John Kilgannon scored the winner for Ayr United at Pittodrie in the Scottish Cup in 1964.

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was pleased when Killie won the final, but recall being furious at the referee appointment for the semi (Killie v United), who, I looked it up, was the late Jim McCluskey. My anger, which has now dissipated, was based on poor Jim living a few miles from Kilmarnock, and over 100 miles from Dundee.

Nonetheless, I wish we had referees of his abilities today.

Welcome to our world.

I mind one season , late 1980s we played Dundee United in the Scottish Cup, the first game at a Pittodrie , then two replays at Tannadice.  The ref for all three games was Bob Valentine of Dundee.

I wonder what Bob’s thought process was when it came to the venue for the second replay being picked.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Funnily enough, the referee didn't pick the venue for a replay.

Not officially 

Phone call the morning after the first replay.....

SFA Referee Appointments Mannie.......”You ok for doing the second replay, Bob ?”

Bob Valentine........”Where is it?...... I’m no goin up to Aberfuckindeen , on a fuckin Monday night”

SFA .......... “Don’t worry about that.....leave it with me”

1 hour ago, A96 said:

Not officially 

Phone call the morning after the first replay.....

SFA Referee Appointments Mannie.......”You ok for doing the second replay, Bob ?”

Bob Valentine........”Where is it?...... I’m no goin up to Aberfuckindeen , on a fuckin Monday night”

SFA .......... “Don’t worry about that.....leave it with me”

Something at some point has broken your brain, this is not a normal way to think. The venue for a second replay was almost always settled in one of two ways - either the clubs agreed to host it at one of their venues, in which case a coin was tossed to decide (which is what happened this time), or they agreed to play it at a neutral venue which was selected by the SFA.

The idea that a referee would have enough influence to decide this, or indeed that a club would just meekly accept that type of "neutral" venue without prior agreement is quite frankly nuts.

580306005_Screenshot2022-05-25at13_40_10.thumb.png.edf97f32763fcf39d9da33f1928485cc.png

Edited by craigkillie

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

What a fucking United team that was.

I was only 5, and it was when my old man first started taking me to games. Those guys were, and many remain, my absolute heroes. Kevin Gallacher in particular

Without doubt add in Big John Clark, badger McKinlay, that was a cracking squad think that's the only time I've seen Iain Ferguson sporting a moustache

Clyde v Kilmarnock, Scottish Cup Semi Final at Ibrox 1959/60, in the days when the semi finals were played at Ibrox, Parkhead or Hampden, depending on the participants. Kilmarnock were the perennial "bridesmaids, never the bride" back then, and, true to form, after beating Clyde 2-0, they lost to Rangers in the final, another 2-0. If I remember correctly, Hugh Taylor's Book of Scottish Football  called it "men against boys". However, the nucleus of Killie's title winning side was being built. Frank Beattie, Bertie Black and Jackie McInally all played in 1964/65, maybe others. I recognise Jimmy Brown in goals, man of many clubs Handy Andy Kerr at centre forward, Willie Toner (played for Ayr in the 1963/64 Scottish Cup "shock" at Pittodrie) at centre half, and Bobby Kennedy who went on to play for Manchester City, but unfortunately didn't play enough games to win a First Division Championship medal with them.

Clyde, who had won the cup twice in the 50s in between getting relegated and promoted, had a few well known faces, Harry Haddock, Davie White, Tommy McCullough in goals, Archie Robertson and George Herd at inside forward. Clyde went on to reach another couple of semi finals, the Scottish Cup semi final in 1966/67 and the League Cup in 1968/69. Nothing since, a couple of Challenge Cup semis and a runners up.

Image 1 - CLYDE V KILMARNOCK 1959-60 SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL

Image 2 - CLYDE V KILMARNOCK 1959-60 SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL

On 25/05/2022 at 10:21, Jacksgranda said:

Programme from Hearts v Third Lanark on 9th January 1965. Hearts won 3-1. A fairly solid Hearts team there, going by the team lines, with no obvious stars, apart from maybe Jim Cruickshank and Alan Gordon, perhaps. Willie Wallace didn't become a "star" until he went to Parkhead, imo. Evan Williams, the Thirds goalie, also ended up at Celtic. Doug Baillie at centre half. The Kilgannon up front is perhaps a brother of Johnny and Jim Kilgannon. Looking at the league table, despite having only 7 points from 18 points, Thirds were by no means isolated at the bottom of the table, only a point behind Airdrie - with a game in hand - and 3 behind Dundee United. Alas, Thirds were at the start of a notorious run of 21 successive league defeats, interrupted by a 5-1 Scottish Cup win at Telford Street, followed by 2 draws and a defeat in the second replay from eventual finalists, Dunfermline Athletic, in the next round. Third Lanark then went on to lose their opening 5 sectional Summer Cup games before signing off with a 5-2 win over Airdrie.

Image 2 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

Fitba was much better then. Oh wait…Ushers beer 😂

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Clyde v Kilmarnock, Scottish Cup Semi Final at Ibrox 1959/60, in the days when the semi finals were played at Ibrox, Parkhead or Hampden, depending on the participants. Kilmarnock were the perennial "bridesmaids, never the bride" back then, and, true to form, after beating Clyde 2-0, they lost to Rangers in the final, another 2-0. If I remember correctly, Hugh Taylor's Book of Scottish Football  called it "men against boys". However, the nucleus of Killie's title winning side was being built. Frank Beattie, Bertie Black and Jackie McInally all played in 1964/65, maybe others. I recognise Jimmy Brown in goals, man of many clubs Handy Andy Kerr at centre forward, Willie Toner (played for Ayr in the 1963/64 Scottish Cup "shock" at Pittodrie) at centre half, and Bobby Kennedy who went on to play for Manchester City, but unfortunately didn't play enough games to win a First Division Championship medal with them.

Clyde, who had won the cup twice in the 50s in between getting relegated and promoted, had a few well known faces, Harry Haddock, Davie White, Tommy McCullough in goals, Archie Robertson and George Herd at inside forward. Clyde went on to reach another couple of semi finals, the Scottish Cup semi final in 1966/67 and the League Cup in 1968/69. Nothing since, a couple of Challenge Cup semis and a runners up.

Image 1 - CLYDE V KILMARNOCK 1959-60 SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL

Image 2 - CLYDE V KILMARNOCK 1959-60 SCOTTISH CUP SEMI FINAL

Absolutely superb info there JG. I think the programme writers have made a faux pas with their half time scoreboard though. This match is being played at Ibrox and the first half time is Rangers v Celtic.

33 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Absolutely superb info there JG. I think the programme writers have made a faux pas with their half time scoreboard though. This match is being played at Ibrox and the first half time is Rangers v Celtic.

That was the other semi - at Hampden.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Quite right, Joey - P&Bs own Poirot. What makes these programmes so readable beyond the football nostalgia is the dated graphics and adverts. Kids today don't know what they're missing when it comes to Ushers. (The Usher family have mighty gravestones in Edinburgh's Grange Cemetery, so it was profitable in it's day).