A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 hours ago, Clown Job said:

On this day 2006. Scotland drew 0-0 with Japan in Saitama to win the highly sought after Kirin Cup 

4F3CE45A-28AD-44D1-9D56-C771ED51DBF5.jpeg

Man on the right is thinking "I'd have worked this cuñt to death on the railway to a few years ago."

Programme from Rangers v Third Lanark, 1960/61, when Thirds finished third and scored 100 league goals (and conceded 80!).

A 7, at home to Clyde 7-4, 3 x 6, home to Dundee United 6-1, 6-3 away to Raith Rovers, home to Hibs 6-1 in the last game of the season which took them to 100 goals, 3 x 5, 5-2 at home to Airdrie in the opening league game, 5-4 at Fir Park v Motherwell, 5-1 at home v Aberdeen, 4s and 3s all over the shop (including 4 at Easter Road when they lost 8-4). No games ended 0-0. There was another 5 in the cup (v Arbroath) followed by a 3-3 draw at Love Street in the next round and the resulting 8-0 defeat in the replay. They also had a league double over Celtic to celebrate, 2-0 at Cathkin and 3-2 at Parkhead. They also recorded a double over Clyde. 6 years later it was all over.

Image 1 - 21/1/1961 RANGERS V THIRD LANARK

21 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Image 1 - 21/1/1961 RANGERS V THIRD LANARK

Funny how the <cough> 'meaningless operating company,' the Rangers Football Club Ltd, features so prominently in that official club programme, not to mention how strange it is, even to this day, to have that same supposedly meaningless company adorning the iconic wrought iron gates at Ibrox. Who knew that Scot Symon was only the manager of a company, not a successful football club? Who knew that players of the calibre of Niven, Shearer, Caldow, Brand, Wilson and Baxter turned out each week for the Rangers Football Club Ltd, a separate company from the club? Yet the evidence that club and company were one entity is clear and unambiguous, as supplied directly by Rangers themselves. It's almost as if a massive scam took place in 2012 to pretend that the entity that went into self-inflicted liquidation was only a meaningless company and not the incorporated football club we all knew it was. The fact that the programme also pertains to another defunct club, Third Lanark, who in 1967 also went into liquidation is ironic in itself. Who'd've thunk this embarrassing charade would still be being played out ten years later?

Edited by Squonk

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Kenny 😥

Fergie comes to an arrangement to allow Souness to top up his tan, sometimes during matches...

DivF6veWsAAS00-.jpg

Here’ some more Fergie/Mexico 86 photos (as you seem to be into that sort of thing 😁)

Apologies for the quality of some of the images, just took photos from the picture section in a couple of Fergie books I have, included Ferguson’s captions for anyone who hasn’t read them…F0348953-BD96-475C-959E-E02C2F1312F8.thumb.jpeg.1f144c37202b18192c61b441208a4b29.jpegF0D8D59C-A319-478F-A373-49C38BE362EC.thumb.jpeg.52801df3c0fe1c927780c637a732c6e9.jpeg1A6A6AD9-5F90-4D21-836E-E9518810B857.thumb.jpeg.215c79f615e30b1f6c8e9618ac8355f7.jpeg766A6487-656A-4824-8520-382C1B2312C9.thumb.jpeg.f58cca67235fb995288f4222536526e3.jpeg280119F7-13EB-4E5B-8761-E1C5B9363BFB.thumb.jpeg.d1cc35dfda08b949f9c1bb12a5cc29be.jpegA0A81E80-E875-400C-9D7C-908D715A3658.thumb.jpeg.1a19a970055cfe96c786e71ae8d1a048.jpeg

On 14/05/2022 at 12:45, Squonk said:

Funny how the <cough> 'meaningless operating company,' the Rangers Football Club Ltd, features so prominently in that official club programme, not to mention how strange it is, even to this day, to have that same supposedly meaningless company adorning the iconic wrought iron gates at Ibrox. Who knew that Scot Symon was only the manager of a company, not a successful football club? Who knew that players of the calibre of Niven, Shearer, Caldow, Brand, Wilson and Baxter turned out each week for the Rangers Football Club Ltd, a separate company from the club? Yet the evidence that club and company were one entity is clear and unambiguous, as supplied directly by Rangers themselves. It's almost as if a massive scam took place in 2012 to pretend that the entity that went into self-inflicted liquidation was only a meaningless company and not the incorporated football club we all knew it was. The fact that the programme also pertains to another defunct club, Third Lanark, who in 1967 also went into liquidation is ironic in itself. Who'd've thunk this embarrassing charade would still be being played out ten years later?

Not only that, the 1873 date seems to have been superseded recently by 1872.

I could probably google this, but there will be someone on here that knows. When did scottish football do away with having 2/3 replays for cup ties? My dad talks about them quite often and older guys at my work do as well, but when i started watching football in the late 80s, it was always extra time and penalties.

5 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I could probably google this, but there will be someone on here that knows. When did scottish football do away with having 2/3 replays for cup ties? My dad talks about them quite often and older guys at my work do as well, but when i started watching football in the late 80s, it was always extra time and penalties.

I reckon it was early to mid 90s.

Rovers' last second replay I can remember was 86/87 v Peterhead at Gayfield (about 6000 crowd).

I can remember a Dundee United v Aberdeen semi going to three games in the very late 80s.

The first final to finish a draw and not go to a replay was Aberdeen v Celtic in 1990.

Rovers' last second replay I can remember was 86/87 v Peterhead at Gayfield (about 6000 crowd).

I can remember a Dundee United v Aberdeen semi going to three games in the very late 80s.

The first final to finish a draw and not go to a replay was Aberdeen v Celtic in 1990.

The peterhead game is one that my dad has mentioned (apparently i was there, but would have been 4/5)

8 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

We actually had second replays against Aberdeen in consecutive seasons.

Semi-final in 87-88 and 4th round in 88-89

25 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We actually had second replays against Aberdeen in consecutive seasons.

Semi-final in 87-88 and 4th round in 88-89

That rings a bell.

I remember one of the replays where Paul Hegarty getting sent off and Jim McLean having a meltdown that was wild even by his own standards.

I seem to recall there was anger from both United and Aberdeen that the first semi was at Tynecastle, but sensibly moved to Dens for the replays.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

That rings a bell.

I remember one of the replays where Paul Hegarty getting sent off and Jim McLean having a meltdown that was wild even by his own standards.

I seem to recall there was anger from both United and Aberdeen that the first semi was at Tynecastle, but sensibly moved to Dens for the replays.

All the three semi games in 1988 were at Dens, Hegarty was sent off in the first half of the second match, and as I recall, it was a definite red card. Wee Jim did go off his head at Willie Miller's  involvement with the referee at the sending off,, but it appeared clear cut to me.

Our two semi final games against the Dons in 1985 were at Tynecastle, however.

21 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Our two semi final games against the Dons in 1985 were at Tynecastle, however.

Graced by two spectacular goals from Stuart Beedie and Ian Angus in the deciding match.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Back to Pittodrie in 1938. Some changes to the city since for those who know it. The Links Road bowling greens only disappeared about 12 years ago. Beach Baths maybe 50-60ish years ago? Gas tank - gone in the early 70s. And expansion to the north & NW beyond Tillydrone over the years.

image.jpeg.26b5d6bcd67d5899db226183ff1e46da.jpeg

from https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en - some great stuff to be found there.