A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I got the impression the two supporters clubs didn't get on, but I'm probably reading too much between the lines and putting 2 + 2 together and making 5.

As you say, catered for fans from different parts of the city (which had a population nearly 30% higher than what it is now, and the post war football attendance boom was still in full flow).

I wasn't around at the time, or rather I was a toddler. It must have been some game as Queen's were 4-1 up by the 40th minute despite having missed a penalty through Bertie Cromar. Hunter Devine bagged a hat trick. Johnny Hubbard scored two for Rangers before halftime to take it to 4-3. Second half goals from Max Murray, Billy Simpson and Alex Scott swept Queen's aside unfortunately.

Teams:

QP

Crampsey; Harnett, Hastie; Cromar, Robb, Glen; Herd, Omand, McEwan, Devine, Heron.

Rangers

Niven; Shearer, Caldow; McColl, Young, Davis; Scott, Simpson, Murray, Baird, Hubbard.

Scorers for QP - Herd (14); Devine (18, 38, 40). For Rangers - Murray (19, 60); Hubbard (40, 43); Simpson (78); Scott (88).

5 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looks like the subject of memorial portraiture which was common practice around the 1880s.

That Scottish Cup Final programme from 1985 brought back memories, and I mistakenly thought that was the game where Thatcher turned up to lord over her experimental subjects, but that was '88.

1153582503_1988redcardoldunionConfederationofHealthServiceEmployees.thumb.jpg.05c342115a466ff0fc226021588acf53.jpg 

The red cards were issued by old health workers union the Confederation of Health Service Employees (CoHSE), and there was a long period of booing when Thatcher appeared as the teams emerged, accompanied by 'Maggie, Maggie, get tae f**k' chants, from both sets of fans.

It was another cup final where wee Jim was too cautious after going ahead, possibly even too cautious with his team selection, and after Kevin Gallacher had put United 1-0 up, he took off Mixu and replaced him with big John Clark, leaving Paul Sturrock warming the bench.

McAvennie scored two late on, the winner in the 90th minute, to give Celtic the cup.

Incoungrously, McAvennie has been invited to be guest speaker at United's Player of the Year function on Sunday. Finger on the pulse stuff from the commercial folk at Tannadice.

The guy is a total weapon

He wanted to see some our fans banned from Celtic Park for putting up a banner saying Tories not welcome.

26 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

The guy is a total weapon

He wanted to see some our fans banned from Celtic Park for putting up a banner saying Tories not welcome.

Who's a weapon?
 wee Jim? Kevin Gallagher? Mixu? John Clark? Paul Sturrock? McAvennie?

31 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

I wasn't around at the time, or rather I was a toddler. It must have been some game as Queen's were 4-1 up by the 40th minute despite having missed a penalty through Bertie Cromar. Hunter Devine bagged a hat trick. Johnny Hubbard scored two for Rangers before halftime to take it to 4-3. Second half goals from Max Murray, Billy Simpson and Alex Scott swept Queen's aside unfortunately.

Teams:

QP

Crampsey; Harnett, Hastie; Cromar, Robb, Glen; Herd, Omand, McEwan, Devine, Heron.

Rangers

Niven; Shearer, Caldow; McColl, Young, Davis; Scott, Simpson, Murray, Baird, Hubbard.

Scorers for QP - Herd (14); Devine (18, 38, 40). For Rangers - Murray (19, 60); Hubbard (40, 43); Simpson (78); Scott (88).

That was Bob's brother.

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

McAvennie

Should have made that clear. 

Yes, you should have.

You and Flyboy (on this thread) just post photos/stuff about Celtic with no info/context and expect the rest of us to know the minutiae.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

There appear to be two different supporters clubs, these travel arrangements crop up in various programmes, and they often left at different times, usually that quarter of an hour between them. At least, that's what I always took out of reading the programmes, that there were two clubs running buses.

I know which of those clubs I'd join. The equivalent of around £2 in today's money for transport with a meal included? Yes, please.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I'm informed it's ten years since I stood in Hazlehead Park taking photos of a womens game (Dee Ladies 1-5 Dee Vale Ladies), with one of the teams featuring an Amy Winehouse hair-a-like and an actual rottweiler in the dugout, the other with Finding Nemo socks and actual ability. 

AM-JKLUhx2iQ3w4HC0aXjqJr7u6blcq6hjjUySGP

The above challenge not even getting the assailant a talking to, IIRC.

Not a particularly noteworthy addition to anything, other than the fact it's from an era when the womens game was still mainly a park affair and struggling in the background. Then, the idea that Aberdeen/Rangers/etc would end up playing at the main stadium of the mens teams would have been nonsensical at a time when teams seemed to appear on a season-by-season basis. Then-three times SWFL champions Glasgow City (back in 2010) showed up in Aberdeen with internationals in the side and were farmed out to play (hammer) the Donettes on some junior pitch I can't with any certainty identify from the photos alone. Since then, times have changed; cracks have appeared in the triumverate of Glasgow City, Hibs and Celtic, and SPFL clubs are taking it seriously (or more seriously, which wasn't hard, relatively). Aberdeen had a league of a half dozen and more sides over the space of a few years, including actual Aberdeen and a rake of other sides all of which have since been consumed by the main club in the city after reorganisation in 2018. 

Carry on. 

Aberdeen Ladies (older than Glasgow City because I remember them training at the Uni when I was there in the early 90s) in the last 10 years have played at Hermes FC and at the Aberdeen Sports Village. They've also used Heathryfold. Hope this helps.  

8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looks like the subject of memorial portraiture which was common practice around the 1880s.

That Scottish Cup Final programme from 1985 brought back memories, and I mistakenly thought that was the game where Thatcher turned up to lord over her experimental subjects, but that was '88.

1153582503_1988redcardoldunionConfederationofHealthServiceEmployees.thumb.jpg.05c342115a466ff0fc226021588acf53.jpg 

The red cards were issued by old health workers union the Confederation of Health Service Employees (CoHSE), and there was a long period of booing when Thatcher appeared as the teams emerged, accompanied by 'Maggie, Maggie, get tae f**k' chants, from both sets of fans.

It was another cup final where wee Jim was too cautious after going ahead, possibly even too cautious with his team selection, and after Kevin Gallacher had put United 1-0 up, he took off Mixu and replaced him with big John Clark, leaving Paul Sturrock warming the bench.

McAvennie scored two late on, the winner in the 90th minute, to give Celtic the cup.

Incoungrously, McAvennie has been invited to be guest speaker at United's Player of the Year function on Sunday. Finger on the pulse stuff from the commercial folk at Tannadice.

The Scottish Cup Final was on BBC Scotland that year and STV actually put on the FA Cup Final because I can remember flicking between the Dundee United v Celtic game and Liverpool v Wimbledon. I saw Beasant save John Aldridge's penalty live. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I know which of those clubs I'd join. The equivalent of around £2 in today's money for transport with a meal included? Yes, please.

It says "meals" which I took to mean lunch AND dinner. Maybe I would have been disappointed...

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It says "meals" which I took to mean lunch AND dinner. Maybe I would have been disappointed...

Well, they were Queens Park supporters so it would have been a Fortnum and Mason's hamper with quail's eggs and caviar. 

Just now, Luddite said:

McAvennie is a tory?

f**k every single football player who is a tory.  Working class lads who would have had no other avenue for success but through a community built endeavor that Thatcher wanted to and successfully destroyed. 

If this is true I hope in some alternate reality there is a Frank McAvennie who ended up with Bill Shankly as his manager, and Bill Shankly learned of his outlook and Bill Shankly dealt with him accordingly. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Aberdeen Ladies (older than Glasgow City because I remember them training at the Uni when I was there in the early 90s) in the last 10 years have played at Hermes FC and at the Aberdeen Sports Village. They've also used Heathryfold. Hope this helps.  

Yeah, Aberdeen played at Hermes (confirmed as the one in the link above), Balgownie, Garthdee, and the other flavours of Aberdeen teams just played where they could - ASV. Hazlehead, Parkvale, and Milltimber.

Now it’s all Calder Park and Cormack Park, and you know weeks in advance where games will be played. Where’s the fun in that?

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Yeah, Aberdeen played at Hermes (confirmed as the one in the link above), Balgownie, Garthdee, and the other flavours of Aberdeen teams just played where they could - ASV. Hazlehead, Parkvale, and Milltimber.

Now it’s all Calder Park and Cormack Park, and you know weeks in advance where games will be played. Where’s the fun in that?

Am I right in thinking in the olden days (1960s/early 70s), the Highland League didn't issue fixtures for the whole season but just for a month or so at a time? Or am I getting that confused with the juniors?

The Highland League was still issuing a half-season schedule until the early 90’s, IIRC. Possibly a good bit later. Did the first few months of league games along with Highland League Cup, Qualifying Cup and Scottish Cup, then post-Santa you’d the North Cup and Shire Cup, but in the 90’s those two were a big deal and on Saturday’s, with Saturday replays, and league games were heaved in around them. 

On 09/05/2022 at 22:43, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Highland League was still issuing a half-season schedule until the early 90’s, IIRC. Possibly a good bit later. Did the first few months of league games along with Highland League Cup, Qualifying Cup and Scottish Cup, then post-Santa you’d the North Cup and Shire Cup, but in the 90’s those two were a big deal and on Saturday’s, with Saturday replays, and league games were heaved in around them. 

Thanks, Jimmy, my memory isn't as bad as I feared! :lol: