A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

100, 000 + attendances were common place back then

See the source image

Willie Wallace scores in the 1967 Scottish Cup Final. 126, 102 present of whom I was one.

See the source image

Derek McKay scores in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final. 108, 434 present, of whom I was one.

See the source image

Happy ending!

I was at the 1970 one but not allowed to go to the 1967 one. I think my parents chose wisely!

1967-03-22-Action-from-the-Cup-replay.jpg

44,500 at Pittodrie for the third round replay with Hibs, 3-0 to the Dons. I was there (got soaked - well worth it). A late Jimmy Smith goal at Easter Road made the replay possible. And there were 37,200 at that one, me included.

Hibernian-v-Aberdeen-1967-03-11.jpg

Which led to the semi final at Dens Park, Dundee against Dundee United.

See the source image

1967+cup+semi++at+dens+dunee+v+aberdeen+1.jpg

1967+cup+semi++at+dens+dunee+v+aberdeen+2.jpg

1967+cup+semi++at+dens+dunee+v+aberdeen+3.jpg

I'm probably in that last photo - along with @kingjoey, 41,500 there

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

1976 League Cup Final, and the crowd is down to under 70,000. 69,707 (and I was there, too).

See the source image

Drybrough Cup Final, 1971, at Pittodrie. 25,00 present (seems a very round figure), I was there.

See the source image

King Joey Harper opens the scoring.

See the source image

The aftermath.

See the source image

Summer Cup Final, 1964. I don't know what the attendance was, but I was there.

See the source image

See the source image

Ernie Winchester scores for the Dons

Aberdeen-FC-1964-09-02-Summer-Cup-CAJL-1024x442.jpg

Tubby Ogston saves Pat Stanton's penalty - in vain as it turned out.

See the source image

2-1 to Hibs

See the source image

Dave Smith despondent.

Was at all of the above as well, and the Summer Cup Final was the first Dons game that I can remember being at. I know I was at Pittodrie before that, just no idea which games my Dad took me to before the Hibs one. If only we had repeated the Drybrough Cup Final result 3 months earlier we would have won the league.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1967-03-22-Action-from-the-Cup-replay.jpg

44,500 at Pittodrie for the third round replay with Hibs, 3-0 to the Dons. I was there (got soaked - well worth it). A late Jimmy Smith goal at Easter Road made the replay possible. And there were 37,200 at that one, me included.

Hibernian-v-Aberdeen-1967-03-11.jpg

Which led to the semi final at Dens Park, Dundee against Dundee United.

See the source image

1967+cup+semi++at+dens+dunee+v+aberdeen+1.jpg

1967+cup+semi++at+dens+dunee+v+aberdeen+2.jpg

1967+cup+semi++at+dens+dunee+v+aberdeen+3.jpg

I was at the Dens Park semi final against United and can remember exactly where I was standing. I was about 4’ 9” tall at the time and I was one of the first into the ground so I could get to the wall at the front. But I was at the opposite end to that photo, which I am pretty sure is the T C Keay end, and I was near the corner flag at the Provost Road end beside the South Enclosure(the self styled Derry). Nothing could beat being part of a huge crowd all standing, but obviously at times totally unsafe to which most folk were totally oblivious.

Not such a happy memory this time -

See the source image

6-1 to Rangers in front of only 39,250, myself included. Seemed a lot more at the time.

See the source image

A 3-0 win at Rugby Park after an 0-0 draw at Pittodrie got us there.

See the source image

24,000 at Pittodrie for the first game. I was at that one but couldn't make the replay.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig and Update

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was at the Dens Park semi final against United and can remember exactly where I was standing. I was about 4’ 9” tall at the time and I was one of the first into the ground so I could get to the wall at the front. But I was at the opposite end to that photo, which I am pretty sure is the T C Keay end, and I was near the corner flag at the Provost Road end beside the South Enclosure(the self styled Derry). Nothing could beat being part of a huge crowd all standing, but obviously at times totally unsafe to which most folk were totally oblivious.

I was at that game as well and also at the Provost Road end but under the then fairly new enclosure. It was packed but don’t remember too much about the game.

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Summer Cup Final, 1964. I don't know what the attendance was, but I was there.

See the source image

Slightly before my time so the Summer Cup piqued my curiosity. Played by the First Division clubs for two seasons (1963-64 & 1964-65) in May in League Cup style group sections arranged regionally to provide extra local derbies and boost the number of SFL related guaranteed fixtures from 40 (34 in the league plus 6 in the league cup section) to 46:

http://sfha.org.uk/summercup.htm

No Old Firm either time and by then relegated relegated East Stirlingshire who were about to do a flit to Clydebank replaced by Second Division champions Morton in 1963-64.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Slightly before my time so piqued my curiosity. Played by the first division clubs for two seasons (1963-64 & 1964-65) in May in League Cup style group sections arranged regionally to provide extra local derbies and boost the number of guaranteed fixtures from 40 (34 in the league plus 6 in the league cup section) to 46:

http://sfha.org.uk/summercup.htm

No Old Firm either time and by then relegated relegated East Stirlingshire who were about to do a flit to Clydebank replaced by second division champions Morton in 1963-64.

It just disappeared after 2 seasons, wasn't popular with the fans, although attendances at the latter stages were reasonable.

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

780902Meadowbank08-1024x683.thumb.jpg.6b5ea20d76429925766f91410541b65a.jpg

Saturday 2nd September 1978: Aberdeen 4 Meadowbank Thistle 0, League Cup Round 2, Second Leg

Are you sure? That looks very like Willie McVie in the foreground and the kit also looks like it could be Motherwell.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

28 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Are you sure? That looks very like Willie McVie in the foreground and the kit also looks like it could be Motherwell.

That’s what I thought on first sight of the photo. And the keeper looks like Latchford.  The AFC Heritage website discloses that we beat Motherwell 4-0 at Pittodrie one week after we beat Meadowbank by the same score.

Match report in link. Photo could be showing the third goal. 

https://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3324&season=1978-79&squad=Senior

Scandalous decision to disallow Willie’s goal in the last minute.

Edited by A96

A couple of Glasgow Cup Final programmes from the days when it was still a prestigious competition and a much coveted trophy. Played on a Monday in both cases @HibeeJibee ! Clyde beat Rangers after a replay, this was in the halcyon days of Clyde winning cups, and Rangers beat Thistle 2-1. Thistle won it the following season, beating Celtic 2-0 in the final.

Image 1 - 1959 GLASGOW CUP FINAL : RANGERS v PARTICK THISTLEImage 1 - (GLASGOW CUP FINAL ) Souvenir               RANGERS V CLYDE       29th Sept 1958

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Edit: keeper looks like Dave Latchford who also played for Celtic

could well (ha ha) be- I ripped the photo off Aberdeen FC's site and it was claiming that it was Aberdeen v Meadowbank. 

You had to be tough to get into the Airdrie team back in the 50's - you needed to be "fined" first! Looks like Eddie Turnbull in the background.

Image 1 - Airdreonians v Aberdeen 1959/60

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

13 hours ago, A96 said:

That’s what I thought on first sight of the photo. And the keeper looks like Latchford.  The AFC Heritage website discloses that we beat Motherwell 4-0 at Pittodrie one week after we beat Meadowbank by the same score.

Match report in link. Photo could be showing the third goal. 

https://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3324&season=1978-79&squad=Senior

Scandalous decision to disallow Willie’s goal in the last minute.

Definitely Willie Mcvie, and it looks like Peter Millar on the left of the photo.