A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Which I think comes from the English lleagues?

The old boys on here will know.....open forum

The first I recall a team using '5' in midfield, and there may have been clubs before them, was Liverpool, probably Peter Cormack at Anfield in the early to mid 'seventies. Later, Ray Kennedy and Ronnie Whelan would wear '5' as well in midfield for the club.

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The first I recall a team using '5' in midfield, and there may have been clubs before them, was Liverpool, probably Peter Cormack at Anfield in the early to mid 'seventies. Later, Ray Kennedy and Ronnie Whelan would wear '5' as well in midfield for the club.

Again as I thought It comes from the English leagues, Not a Scottish think until maybe late 80's Gers 

On 21/01/2022 at 09:13, Dundee Hibernian said:

Here's Aberdeen goalkeeper Bobby Clark wearing '5', if that helps.

470545263_Bobby-Clark-18th-Oct-1969-Reservefixture.thumb.jpg.479f3949ea6d7026b23bffe8cad8e29f.jpg

Numbers began to mean very little at some point in the 'eighties, although the picture above was, I think, from the late 'sixties, when Bobby played for the reserves as a defender a few times, also coming on at centre half in a first team match at Ibrox.

Number of the front reminds me of Motherwell doing something different in the 90’s

4CA3B482-07A3-4736-B9A5-A6B0AD51D2DE.jpeg

Back in the 80s the old fox Terry Christie gave Meadowbank's attacking midfielder Dave Roseburgh the No 3 shirt and left back Graeme "Louis" Armstrong the No 10 shirt. I think this used to occasionally work against naive managers.

On 22/01/2022 at 07:30, SlipperyP said:

Which I think comes from the English lleagues?

The old boys on here will know.....open forum

Liverpool used to do that a lot in the eighties, so I would imagine Souness picked it up from there. 

On 14/01/2022 at 15:54, Jacksgranda said:

A rather battered copy of Third Lanark v East Stirling(shire) from 1963/64, only 'Shire's second ever season in the top flight, which like their first ended in relegation. They collected only 12 points, 2 of which they got at Cathkin that day. (Thirds won the return game.) Two more of their points came against the Dons at Firs Park. Those 12 points were 5 more than Thirds collected in their disastrous relegation season the following season.

Despite all their trials and tribulations since - and they've had plenty - Shire have survived, albeit now plying their trade in the Lowland League, whereas Thirds disappeared 3 years later.

Image 1 - Third Lanark v East Stirling 30.11.1963

Along with about 600 other souls I attended that final game on the evening of Friday 28th April 1967.  The crowd figure reflected the fact that the game was an end-of-season dead rubber between two Division Two mid table teams (Thirds in 11th, Sons in 14th), and although Thirds situation had increasingly become apparent none of us there knew this was to be the finale.

Dumbarton won 5-1 with Harry Kirk opening the scoring in the first minute without a Thirds player having touched the ball.  Kirk scored another, with a Gus McMillan double and a goal by Roy McCormack completing the Sons scoring.  Thirds consolation goal, and with it a place forever in the record books, was recorded by the 17-year old Drew Busby, currently mine host of the Waverley Bar in Dumbarton and a good acquaintance of mine.  Drew later went back to the juniors with our local team Vale of Leven before stepping up again with distinction at Airdrie, Hearts (where he is still revered), Morton and QoS as well as time in Canada.

Hard b*****d that he was, I saw him break John Cushley's jaw at Boghead in the early 1970's. 

50 years ago today...

Wednesday 26th January 1972
Texaco Cup Final 1st Leg
Airdrieonians 0-0 Derby County

at Broomfield Park, Airdrie     16,000

Airdrie played in the final of an international tournament for the first and only time, hosting a Derby County team which went on to become English champions later that season. Victories over Manchester City, Huddersfield Town and Ballymena United had brought the Diamonds to the showpiece - played on a heavy park described as waterlogged in places. Airdrie fashioned several opportunities but failed to score and the tie finished goalless. This was arguably the most prestigious game ever played in Airdrie, and the only international club final ever held in Lanarkshire.

Derby won the cup with victory in the return leg - not played for a full 3 months until Wednesday 26th April - courtesy a goal from Roger Davies. Airdrie would eventually make their debut in a full European tournament 20yrs later but lost both legs of their tie,  and ultimately went bankrupt and were liquidated 10yrs after that.

img454.thumb.jpg.46974b60e682235db05d8c39f617640d.jpg

img455.thumb.jpg.3419b3a19e643dc129242d42ab86f42d.jpg

img456.thumb.jpg.c85a8479d927d8a64479480f4bf91eb6.jpg

Played that same night...

Wednesday 26th January 1972
Under 23 International
Scotland U23 2-0 Wales U23

at Pittodrie, Aberdeen     15,000

Goals from Sandy Jardine of Rangers and super-sub Denis McQuade of Partick Thistle carried Scotland to victory in the annual intermediate international against Wales, on a mudbath surface in the Granite City.

Scotland started John McGovern of Derby County who missed his club's Texaco Cup Final match as a consequence.

img460.thumb.jpg.a911b374323ac80f9f440cfc9671493a.jpg     img461.thumb.jpg.7fa48c3458b6ff08e92c9236d1d5f957.jpg

img462.thumb.jpg.94f4511e39de97694f7cddb8286aaaef.jpg

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was at the Texaco final and had the programme. I often wondered what happened to the Airdrie player's heads in that photo.

Derek Whiteford looks older in his photo than he did when he died.

I was at the semi final v Man City, think we walked from Motherwell and cadged a lift home. 

51 years ago today...

Wednesday 27th January 1971
Second Ibrox Disaster Commemoration
Scotland 2-1 Rangers & Celtic

at Hampden Park, Glasgow     81,405

This special fundraising match for the victims of the Ibrox disaster was held a little over 3 weeks after the tragedy which had claimed 66 lives and injured over 200 others. Peter Bonetti, Bobby Charlton and George Best reinforced the Old Firm and added to the attractiveness of a fixture which was regarded as good preparation for Scotland's upcoming spring internationals program. Newcastle striker Wyn Davies was also slated to appear but withdrew injured - plus Bonetti replaced Gordon Banks whose club Stoke played an FA Cup R4 replay at Huddersfield the previous evening.

Archie Gemmill scored an early goal before Best levelled before HT. Peter Lorimer struck a late winner which was jovially booed by some of the crowd - it had been announced the new penalty shoot-out would be used in the event of a draw, and most Scottish supporters had still never seen this innovation in the flesh.

img463.thumb.jpg.bf5932d663f42c0dee06f1cde91bfcf1.jpg

img466.thumb.jpg.d225ec97a4dea9fc5f28c450b9e2cf1b.jpg

img464.thumb.jpg.436cde9d02f57cbefea9c2f65b0501db.jpg

img465.thumb.jpg.d5432a25f41512340eb85811d0fecb43.jpg

img467.thumb.jpg.eaa5a8b3dcd6c5ce2bf1842c011eaacb.jpg

img468.thumb.jpg.325030bd9c4779455be498f70b51dc27.jpg