A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 05/01/2022 at 00:54, HibeeJibee said:

90yrs ago today:

Monday 4th January 1932
Patsy Gallacher Testimonial
Celtic & Falkirk XI 10-7 Scottish League XI
Hughes (8)                                Gardiner (4)
Gallacher                                  Main (2)
Gall                                              Tolland

10-7.JPG.8765db44efdbbfd33deae43d7c884507.JPGa4bb9728047c766565cff7962ae30b9d

E3Tfr5EXMAEj1CN-1.jpeg5bb76f10-a588-4a1b-b709-aae600ae21cb.jpg

8f9b7e2a805378b7d92b4ecf5d820736

Actually born in Ramelton rather than Milford from what I understand and I think there's a bit of an ongoing dispute between these neighbouring villages in Donegal over where he was from originally.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

105yrs ago:

Ref.jpg.30dab47d488ffb392a7ed9ab91b386cb.jpg

I've read a few reports from matches during WW1 whereby troops had been boisterous at matches, sometimes fuelled with alcohol due to freedom from the horrors of war. Mind you, there was one I read of a trip organised from Stirling Castle barracks, soldiers had enjoyed generous libations then proceeded to interfere with the progress of a match, bringing about the intervention of the NCOs and removal of troops from the ground.

Cannae mind the match, thus you've given me another series of rabbit holes to peruse/waste time over.

On 05/01/2022 at 08:59, Jacksgranda said:

Some crowd.

Biggest I've been in were the 44,000 at Pittodrie for the Scottish Cup replay in 1967 (v Hibs), and the Scottish Cup Finals of 1967 (126, 102) and 1970 (108,434) and a rather disappointing 69.707 for the 1976 Scottish League Cup Final (although it was more than Celtic and Rangers attracted the following season).

Didn’t make the Hibs match, so the biggest crowd I’ve been part of at Pittodrie was 36,000 at the Celtic league decider in April 1971. The crowd at the Rangers match two months earlier was also given as 36,000, but as about a quarter of the Main Stand had been burnt to the ground a week earlier, it’s unlikely that it was quite that amount. The biggest crowd I’ve ever been part of was at the Scotland v England match in April 1970, which was given as 137,438.

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The biggest crowd I’ve ever been part of was at the Scotland v England match in April 1970, which was given as 137,438.

I was in that crowd as well, in the relative safety of the North Stand. A dismal day weather wise I mind, Brian Labone got away with bringing down Colin Stein in the box, and forgeries galore.

Forgery.thumb.jpg.defb07feade54c77f28d134bde89f04f.jpg

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The biggest crowd I’ve ever been part of was at the Scotland v England match in April 1970, which was given as 137,438.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was in that crowd as well, in the relative safety of the North Stand. A dismal day weather wise I mind, Brian Labone got away with bringing down Colin Stein in the box, and forgeries galore.

Forgery.thumb.jpg.defb07feade54c77f28d134bde89f04f.jpg

I've read that 134,000 tickets were printed but there were 137,438 at Scotland v England (and similarly 136,505 at Celtic v Leeds which was 10 days earlier). Due to no-shows etc. they should really both have been around 132,000. Think official capacity at that time was 135,000.

Basically an organised fakery racket was operating that spring. Presumably somebody had got a new-fangled Xerox. It's thought upto 5,000 tickets were forged. This was discovered, but with no way to distinguish dodgy tickets from real tickets both games proceeded... with the ground ending-up slightly "over" capacity.

Presumably more sophisticated ticket designs were then introduced.

Edited by HibeeJibee

19 hours ago, jagfox OG said:

John and Duncan Lambie - St Johnstone 1971.

FB_IMG_1641583752580.thumb.jpg.9f10b41f507e27f6a00646802549afff.jpg

John was at St Johnstone but Duncan didn't leave Dundee until 1974. He was well thought of at Dens but ultimately struggled to hold down a regular place in what was a very good Dundee side at that time. He was part of the League Cup winning squad in 1973 and started the game in the final against Celtic. He is best remembered at Dens for a tremendous performance against AC Milan in the UEFA cup where he ran their defence ragged. Despite constant pressure throughout the game Dundee could only win 2-0 and went out 3-2 on aggregate after losing the first leg at the San Siro

7 hours ago, jagfox OG said:

Interestingly Duncan moved to SpVgg Greuther Fürthafter his spell with The Jonnies before returning to finish his senior career with Hibs. 

71 2nd Division (South) appearances (6 goals), plus 2 appearances in the DFB-Pokal.

Courtesy of here.

On 08/01/2022 at 15:20, ScottyDee1893 said:

John was at St Johnstone but Duncan didn't leave Dundee until 1974. He was well thought of at Dens but ultimately struggled to hold down a regular place in what was a very good Dundee side at that time. He was part of the League Cup winning squad in 1973 and started the game in the final against Celtic. He is best remembered at Dens for a tremendous performance against AC Milan in the UEFA cup where he ran their defence ragged. Despite constant pressure throughout the game Dundee could only win 2-0 and went out 3-2 on aggregate after losing the first leg at the San Siro

That was one of the best games I’ve ever been at not involving  Aberdeen. I was willing Dundee to get a third goal to take it to extra time as much as any Dundee fan there, and they did everything but. I think it was in late 1971.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

That was one of the best games I’ve ever been at not involving  Aberdeen. I was willing Dundee to get a third goal to take it to extra time as much as any Dundee fan there, and they did everything but. I think it was in late 1971.

8th December.