A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'd suspect it has been unusual but probably not unprecedented. I've not followed the case to its resolution but an interesting example from exactly 85yrs ago today involved Celtic's 'keeper being charged for booting the ball into the crowd and striking a supporter:

1936122901.jpg

1937011101.jpg1937011802.jpg

For anybody who watched A Very British Scandal last few nights: Wheatley defending the player later became a judge, and heard the Argyll's divorce case. He also wrote the major reports on local government reorganisation/stadium safety/etc. during 1970s.

There have definitely been instances of players ending up in court for attacking referees, and also periodic cases of players pursuing other players for causing them injuries; although of course in modern times those would be civil actions for damages. As noted match fixing has also resulted in spells in jail.

John Wheatley played for Shettleston Juniors in his young days.

I remember Arbroath's Andy Brannigan ending up in court in the mid 1980s for assault on a football pitch.

Drunken Duncan probably got the jail based on his record of previous convictions, the thick ned. His sister, a nedette, once bothered my sister and got a slap for her trouble.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

John Wheatley played for Shettleston Juniors in his young days.

I remember Arbroath's Andy Brannigan ending up in court in the mid 1980s for assault on a football pitch.

Drunken Duncan probably got the jail based on his record of previous convictions, the thick ned. His sister, a nedette, once bothered my sister and got a slap for her trouble.

Excellent.

My uncle once had Billy Connolly up against a wall by the throat at a party in the 60s when he made one too many smartarse comments. 

Stumbled across this earlier, Scotland v England 1972 home international. Only skirted through it, standard of football looks pretty bad but players were getting stuck in. Atmosphere not great considering there was over 119,000 at the game. 

edit - flicked it on @ 25:30, wee Archie havin a kick out at an Englander and ref plays on. 😊

Edited by Drew Brees

32 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Stumbled across this earlier, Scotland v England 1972 home international. Only skirted through it, standard of football looks pretty bad but players were getting stuck in. Atmosphere not great considering there was over 119,000 at the game. 

"And for those watching in black & white the referee is wearing a bright scarlet jumper"

20 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

1936122901.jpg   Can you imagine papers printing OF players addresses now?

I watch all of The Big Match Revisted shows on ITV4 from the 70s and early 80s, and it amazed me that Brian Moore read out the full addresses of anyone whose letters he read out on the show.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I watch all of The Big Match Revisted shows on ITV4 from the 70s and early 80s, and it amazed me that Brian Moore read out the full addresses of anyone whose letters he read out on the show.

Vaguely remember Reporting Scotland doing the full address treatment complete with footage of his house to John Greig one time in the mid-70s, which seemed mental even at the time.

5 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

edit - flicked it on @ 25:30, wee Archie havin a kick out at an Englander and ref plays on. 😊

Scotland played all 3 games at Hampden due to the state of emergency in Ulster.

Following year NI hosted England and Wales at Everton. For rest of 1970s both returned to visiting Belfast: but we refused, so got 3 home games every other year. Usual pattern resumed from 1980 - except England and Wales games in Belfast were cancelled outright in 1981.

Does anyone have a photo of Aberdeen with the 1955 Scottish league championship trophy? Every picture I have seen including official club publications shows the team with the second eleven cup claiming it’s the league trophy always found this strange.

Does anyone have a photo of Aberdeen with the 1955 Scottish league championship trophy? Every picture I have seen including official club publications shows the team with the second eleven cup claiming it’s the league trophy always found this strange.
This isn't the league trophy?

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/04/08/champions-for-the-first-time/

b821abc5dd6a723c083a3b624212d4e4.jpg

2 hours ago, hague said:

Seeing as the governing body bizarrely gave Hibs our rightful place in the European Cup the following season , they probably got our trophy too.

35 minutes ago, A96 said:

Seeing as the governing body bizarrely gave Hibs our rightful place in the European Cup the following season , they probably got our trophy too.

Yeah and they got to the semi final imagine if the champions competed instead of the fifth placed side the history of European football might have been totally different.

9 hours ago, hague said:

Yeah and they got to the semi final imagine if the champions competed instead of the fifth placed side the history of European football might have been totally different.

Are you the chap that has the Aberdeen Bankies flag at Clydebank matches?

I thought our board rejected the notion of European football and turned it down although that wouldn't explain why it went to the 5th placed side so perhaps was concerning floodlights.

England didn't even put forward a representative (Chelsea has won the league); therefore, it provides evidence that the UK governing football bodies wasn't treating the 1955-56 European Cup with much respect.

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Are you the chap that has the Aberdeen Bankies flag at Clydebank matches?

I thought our board rejected the notion of European football and turned it down although that wouldn't explain why it went to the 5th placed side so perhaps was concerning floodlights.

England didn't even put forward a representative (Chelsea has won the league); therefore, it provides evidence that the UK governing football bodies wasn't treating the 1955-56 European Cup with much respect.

No that’s not me but I do follow both clubs.

1 minute ago, hague said:

No that’s not me but I do follow both clubs.

I'm an Aberdeen fan with a soft spot for the Bankies. I've still got an away Clydebank top from around 2016 and I did go down to watch the re-born Bankies at Holm Park when they playing Maybole.  I'll need to go to a game soon to see the new ground.

So they still ground share with Yoker? Is the new stadium built on the land that Yoker's ground stood on because they are both called Holm Park?

kilbowie-park.jpeg.bd8c946c36c219375e4e07b5c7d935ec.jpeg

the ground is owned by the council but is now run by both clubs and the council and yeah still in the same place .If you remember the high flats across from holm park they were built on the site of the ground of the original senior Clydebank club that played in the Scottish league back in the 1920s

On 24/12/2021 at 18:25, HibeeJibee said:

St Johnstone 0-0 Dundee
SFL Division One
Att: 7,097

img399.thumb.jpg.3cb39e27189eff94b11262faedb8d831.jpg

img400.thumb.jpg.a400b3acd1565e109b7cc05d8cb525bb.jpg

img401.thumb.jpg.14e100fa6986914a71947af6a7191c0c.jpg

I was at this game with my auld man, Grandad and older brother, much to the disappointment of my Ma who thought Christmas Day was for the whole family. Biggest memory is not of the dull goalless draw but the Lochee Fleet who had travelled to Perth en masse running riot.