A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 23/12/2021 at 10:25, Drew Brees said:

Frank mcgarvey in an awful St Mirren top. 

6D40F4BB-A01C-4A78-9A7E-B5DA6947E188.jpeg

When I was a lad the fans used to sing a ditty about the reputation of Mrs Francis McGarvey. She was, apparently, a word beginning with "h" and rhyming with "poor"

1) what was that all about

2) more importantly, wid or widnae?

When I was a lad the fans used to sing a ditty about the reputation of Mrs Francis McGarvey. She was, apparently, a word beginning with "h" and rhyming with "poor"

I mind being at Pittodrie in the 1980’s and the highlight of a pretty awful game v St Mirren was a bold Soothstander yelling at Frank “”McGarvey, yer hair’s permed!”
Like it was the ultimate insult.

Was hilarious at the time [emoji1787]

On 26/12/2021 at 15:49, bluearmyfaction said:

Pryce should not even have been that far down - he had started from the back because of a car problem. 

He started 15th and dropped back during the opening lap - he was making his way back up the field when the accident happened.

Alan Jones took over the seat and of course was World Champion within a few years - what could have been for the Welsh Senna.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Hmmm - he turned out for Clyde at Caley in the Scottish in 1992, and the Caley fans were giving it that as well. Never really thought much about it till you brought it up.

”Verbal History of Scottish Football “ for this pish.

Edited by The Mantis

6 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

He played 237 times for Rangers, 65 as a sub.
So, naw.

The Polaris tag is a part of Scottish fitba folklore and there'll be loads of versions for the reason behind it.  The one I used to hear was ..... cos he dived in the box every Saturday at half four.

Regarding twins in Scottish football, a twist on that from this season, which I'd missed at the time, was the listing of Barnet born Scottish twins Matthew and Micheal Craig as substitutes for Spurs for a European tie in August. Think they've only played a few minutes together though, and that was in the EFL Trophy, apart from matches in the U-23 Premier League.

1901963102_MichealandMatthewCraig.thumb.jpg.7d50e146d175a7af4d57547efdb8069c.jpg

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Regarding twins in Scottish football, a twist on that from this season, which I'd missed at the time, was the listing of Barnet born Scottish twins Matthew and Micheal Craig as substitutes for Spurs for a European tie in August. Think they've only played a few minutes together though, and that was in the EFL Trophy, apart from matches in the U-23 Premier League.

1901963102_MichealandMatthewCraig.thumb.jpg.7d50e146d175a7af4d57547efdb8069c.jpg

Steve Cram’s missus would like to know what he was doing in Barnet about 20 years ago

30 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Scotland celebrates winning the 1978 World Cup in Argentina just prior to setting off for the tournament. 

IMG_20211228_122852.jpg

Surely among the most misguided events in Scottish football history.

I don't have a copy but there was actually a souvenir brochure produced specifically for the send off. According to the timetable it began at 6:30pm with massed pipes & drums accompanied by majorettes. This was followed by comedian Andy Cameron at 6:50pm. Then for 20mins from 7pm to 7:20pm the squad players were introduced 1 by 1 - followed by a "salute" where they ran to each end of the arena that was itself to last 20mins. Finally at 7:40pm came a "farewell" where they toured the stadium in the open-topped bus... No fewer than 10 pipe bands, 1 brass band and 2 majorette companies were slated to participate. Supposedly there were 30,000 people, each paying 50p (about £10 today) for the privilege - an extra 30p for the brochure. Soon they were to be sorely disillusioned.

ARGENTINAHEREWECOME.jpg

0B1B7FD3000005DC-0-image-a-64_1501249776

image.jpg?width=2048&enable=upscale

Of course lets not forget the special "Scotland World Cup Winners" stamps which had wisely been commissioned in advance. Surely a measure of preparedness, rather than an act of hubris.

42C63F4000000578-0-image-a-62_1501249623

42C63FB900000578-0-image-a-63_1501249636

Surely among the most misguided events in Scottish football history.

I don't have a copy but there was actually a souvenir brochure produced specifically for the send off. According to the timetable it began at 6:30pm with massed pipes & drums accompanied by majorettes. This was followed by comedian Andy Cameron at 6:50pm. Then for 20mins from 7pm to 7:20pm the squad players were introduced 1 by 1 - followed by a "salute" where they ran to each end of the arena that was itself to last 20mins. Finally at 7:40pm came a "farewell" where they toured the stadium in the open-topped bus... No fewer than 10 pipe bands, 1 brass band and 2 majorette companies were slated to participate. Supposedly there were 30,000 people, each paying 50p (about £10 today) for the privilege - an extra 30p for the brochure. Soon they were to be sorely disillusioned.

ARGENTINAHEREWECOME.jpg

0B1B7FD3000005DC-0-image-a-64_1501249776556.jpg

image.jpg?width=2048&enable=upscale

Of course lets not forget the special "Scotland World Cup Winners" stamps which had wisely been commissioned in advance. Surely a measure of preparedness, rather than an act of hubris.

42C63F4000000578-0-image-a-62_1501249623926.jpg

42C63FB900000578-0-image-a-63_1501249636742.jpg

Ooft. I knew it was bad but I didn’t realise it was that bad. Cringe.

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

42C63F4000000578-0-image-a-62_1501249623

42C63FB900000578-0-image-a-63_1501249636

I always thought the stamps were a spoof!

I do remember reading that Ally McLeod was dead against it and looked suitably embarrassed in the footage of him emerging from the tunnel, pretty sure I recall hearing this was the brainchild of Ernie Walker. 

There was still the opportunity for McLeod to make an arse of himself on his own steam by writing off Peru and Iran as no hopes and doing zero tactical analysis/homework on them.

22 hours ago, drs said:

He started 15th and dropped back during the opening lap - he was making his way back up the field when the accident happened.

Alan Jones took over the seat and of course was World Champion within a few years - what could have been for the Welsh Senna.

And another "what if?" is Jones' former team-mate Tony Brise, who, in their brief time together at Hill, actually lapped Jonesy in the wet...

12 yo me had his wee heart broken in the summer of '78 - I had swallowed the hype hook, line and sinker, and was convinced that we were going to win it.

I already had the full strip, and used my entire reserves of pocket money savings to buy the Argentina logo T shirt, and the Scotland World Cup LP with gatefold sleeve, incorporating pages and pages of squad profiles and reasons why we were gonna stroll it.

Yabba dabba doo, we support the boys in blue, and it's easy, eeeeasssaayyy.......

wc1.JPG.ff562216676bc13aa51e0904ba3b6fea.JPGwc2.JPG.4388ec5fbd9a0bc955e096aa21f5f9fd.JPG

Edited by Boghead ranter