A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Falkirk 0-3 Aberdeen
SFL Division One
Att: 7,684

img385.thumb.jpg.42d834195586c764984a653c5235d2b1.jpg

img386.thumb.jpg.371cf52a26327e8ffd76a890a7d5a025.jpg

img387.thumb.jpg.fe4da79f377fb3ce80ff12aea5c76ac4.jpg

Although I wasn't born yet, I am 100% sure that the Dons were up to their usual dastardly doings.

Here's a photo of the game from LOTT3.

Editing to add that the good guys in the shot are Tam Young, John Markie, Wilson Hoggan and George Miller.

20211225_142215.jpg

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

This poses a question of twins playing in Scottish football:
Suzanne and Shelley Grant both played for Scotland Women so may have played at the same time together
Dick and Ian Campbell played for Brechin City.
I can't think of any others but I'll raise my hat to Sandy and Jimmy, fans of Dunbar United, who are still shouting at refs in their late 80s!

Frank and Ronald de Boer for Rangers and the Jacobs triplets for Livingston off the top of my head.

On 25/12/2021 at 00:50, tamthebam said:

Suzanne and Shelley Grant both played for Scotland Women so may have played at the same time together

I can't think of any others but I'll raise my hat to Sandy and Jimmy, fans of Dunbar United, who are still shouting at refs in their late 80s!

Quite sure the Paixao twins played for Hamilton Accies

On 25/12/2021 at 08:19, Bogbrush1903 said:

The manner of Pryce's death was entirely down to being at the wrong place at the wrong time. A car had crashed, two fire marshals recklessly crossed the circuit to put out the fire in the crashed car. The first marshal just fractionally misses being hit by a car, but the second one isn't so lucky. His shattered body is flung into the air along with his fire extinguisher.

Pryce is behind the incident, but as the extinguisher comes down it lands in his cockpit, bounces up and hits him underneath the chin, suffering instant fatal injuries. The car with the dead man's foot still on the acceleration pedal ploughs into spectators. There is footage on YouTube of the incident.

It was Pryce who hit the poor marshal (a teenager called Jansen van Vuuren).  The irony was the car that they were crossing the track to attend was Pryce's uber-slow team-mate Renzo Zorzi, whose engine had a minute amount of steam coming out of it.  Van Vuuren's exinguisher killed Pryce instantly.

The marshals were running across the track on the blind side of a brow, just as four cars came towards them.  Pryce was overtaking Lafitte and slipstreaming another (I think Stuck) so when Stuck swerved at the last second Pryce did not have the chance to take avoiding action.

Pryce should not even have been that far down - he had started from the back because of a car problem.  He was the only Welshman ever to win a Formula 1 race (the 1975 International Trophy) and considered an astonishing talent.  Lotus - who won the title in 1978 - had wanted him but Pryce wanted to stay loyal to the Shadow team that had given him a chance.  There is a memorial to him in Ruthin.

48738696553_734e3eabcd_c.jpg

One of the unusual knock-on effects was that Zorzi asked Shadow to change his number from 17 (unlucky in Italy) to the 16 Pryce had been using.  Which they did.  But apparently Shadow somewhat froze Zorzi out, blaming him (in part) for not using the onboard fire extinguisher to get rid of the small fire, which was the thing that prompted the marshals to run across the track in the first place, and he was gone after Monaco.

On 25/12/2021 at 00:50, tamthebam said:

Dumbarton had the Melvin twins in their dire squad (90s version). Billy, and the other 1st name escapes me, possibly Martin. Obviously they never lasted long in the squad. 

4 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The Stranraer programme looks like it fell through a time tunnel from 1957 and the Airdrie programme looks like someone had been let loose in the Letraset store-room.  Fabulous selection of typefaces.

Stranraer is also simply a single folded sheet - those 4 pages comprise the entire programme. At least they only charged 2p (about £1 today).

Most of the rest 5p... although Celtic were excellent value at 3p. Queen's Park and St Johnstone (also old-fashioned btw) same price. Alloa and St Mirren were 4p.

Note that Stranraer and Airdrie were also the only programmes still pretending clubs were employing 2-3-5 formations.

5 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

It was Pryce who hit the poor marshal (a teenager called Jansen van Vuuren).  The irony was the car that they were crossing the track to attend was Pryce's uber-slow team-mate Renzo Zorzi, whose engine had a minute amount of steam coming out of it.  Van Vuuren's exinguisher killed Pryce instantly.

The marshals were running across the track on the blind side of a brow, just as four cars came towards them.  Pryce was overtaking Lafitte and slipstreaming another (I think Stuck) so when Stuck swerved at the last second Pryce did not have the chance to take avoiding action.

Pryce should not even have been that far down - he had started from the back because of a car problem.  He was the only Welshman ever to win a Formula 1 race (the 1975 International Trophy) and considered an astonishing talent.  Lotus - who won the title in 1978 - had wanted him but Pryce wanted to stay loyal to the Shadow team that had given him a chance.  There is a memorial to him in Ruthin.

48738696553_734e3eabcd_c.jpg

One of the unusual knock-on effects was that Zorzi asked Shadow to change his number from 17 (unlucky in Italy) to the 16 Pryce had been using.  Which they did.  But apparently Shadow somewhat froze Zorzi out, blaming him (in part) for not using the onboard fire extinguisher to get rid of the small fire, which was the thing that prompted the marshals to run across the track in the first place, and he was gone after Monaco.

Apologies, I've taken this thread completely off topic.

However, I feel the need to reply...

Even by the rather lax safety standards of motor racing until about 1986 (or even 1994), the manner of Pryce's and Van Vuuren's demise was particularly gory. I must've forgot that it was actually Pryce that struck him.

That would live with you for the rest of your life if you saw that events unfold in front of you at Kyalami that day. I only read about it and it occasionally crosses my mind. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

20211226-194108.jpg

While the west terrace roof is constructed in the background, Racing Club of Argentina train at Hampden ahead of the 1967 Intercontinental Cup first leg against Celtic.

(Taken from the superb Lifted Over The Turnstiles vol 2, which I just gave my dad for Christmas :)).

Edited by Lurkst

On 13/12/2021 at 22:23, Flybhoy said:

Future Scotland manager Steve Clarke grapples with Rangers striker John McDonald in 1984 who had the nickname 'Polaris' due to his regular trait of throwing himself to the floor to earn penalties and free kicks. 

IMG_20211210_175333.jpg

The nickname was more to do with usually being a sub.