A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1993, and Annfield Park has the carpet rolled away for the last time. The previous King's Park ground was bombed by the Luftwaffe, and local coalman Tam Fergusson led the building of a new home for the newly named Stirling Albion. 'Albion' was chosen, as the first grandstand, in 1945, consisted of Albion coal trucks belonging to Tam. Eventually, financial difficulties forced the club to sell the ground to Central Regional Council, and the club were tenants at Annfield from 1981 to 1993.

23147449_AnnfieldStirlingplasticgettingrolledthendemolition.jpg.53a5185d3d9edadf3f544572f88dee1a.jpg

Annfield is now a housing development, and Stirling Albion have used the council owned Forthbank since 1993. Nonetheless, Annfield holds a place in history as the first ground in Scotland to host a match played on synthetic grass (Albion v Ayr, 1-1 draw, 5th September 1987.)

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

1993, and Annfield Park has the carpet rolled away for the last time. The previous King's Park ground was bombed by the Luftwaffe, and local coalman Tam Fergusson led the building of a new home for the newly named Stirling Albion. 'Albion' was chosen, as the first grandstand, in 1945, consisted of Albion coal trucks belonging to Tam. Eventually, financial difficulties forced the club to sell the ground to Central Regional Council, and the club were tenants at Annfield from 1981 to 1993.

23147449_AnnfieldStirlingplasticgettingrolledthendemolition.jpg.53a5185d3d9edadf3f544572f88dee1a.jpg

Annfield is now a housing development, and Stirling Albion have used the council owned Forthbank since 1993. Nonetheless, Annfield holds a place in history as the first ground in Scotland to host a match played on synthetic grass (Albion v Ayr, 1-1 draw, 5th September 1987.)

My first away game was the last League game on grass at Annfield: Stirling 3 Meadowbank Thistle 1. 

Despite the defeat Meadowbank got promoted as results elsewhere went their way.

We stood in unseasonal sleet on the open terrace in the first half, swapped ends with Binos fans to go into the Shed, and the bloody sun came out in the 2nd half.

People cut up bits of the pitch at the full time whistle. I tried getting a bit but a polis stopped me. Apparently there was still a reserve League East match to be played on the pitch! 

On 14/12/2021 at 14:43, Arch Stanton said:

Looks like Drew Jarvie over Clarke's shoulder.

But the state of the pitch, size of the stand, the nice weather and the hair on top of the head suggests that it's probably this game at Snake Mountain on 20th August 1983 and the player isn't Drew Jarvie.

What did John McEachran look like? 

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He had blond poodle hair, definitely not him.

It's a very good resource on St Mirren matches. I've found my first match that I ever attended along with the programme cover that I remember so well with John McMaster.

Don't you think that the hair suggests it's more in the style of Billy Abercromby at the time?

e1510f5fc29f3bb8bbc0dacb142c8163.thumb.jpg.0b303e7d2b6eb2f5a1c4daa57c4c37a7.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It's a very good resource on St Mirren matches. I've found my first match that I ever attended along with the programme cover that I remember so well with John McMaster.

Don't you think that the hair suggests it's more in the style of Billy Abercromby at the time?

e1510f5fc29f3bb8bbc0dacb142c8163.thumb.jpg.0b303e7d2b6eb2f5a1c4daa57c4c37a7.jpg

He looks quite angelic there. Who knew the evilness and mayhem he was about to unleash.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I know, I quote it frequently. Jarvie didn't play in the 1-1 in August but did play(and score) in the 3-0 and also played in the 2nd 1-1 at Ibrox in December. 

If it is the 1-1 in August it might be Mark Fulton.

16 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

But the state of the pitch, size of the stand, the nice weather and the hair on top of the head suggests that it's probably this game at Snake Mountain on 20th August 1983 and the player isn't Drew Jarvie.

What did John McEachran look like? 

Possibly Sir William of Stark?

4 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Possibly Sir William of Stark?

Bill was on the books of the European Cup Winners Cup holders by that time...

Surely one of the best uncapped Scottish players of the 1980s... although he could frustrate his own supporters especially during his spell at The Dons.

1952553968_download(2).jpeg.b2b53ae20915ef54e9ac20bd213ea32b.jpeg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Bill was on the books of the European Cup Winners Cup holders by that time...

Surely one of the best uncapped Scottish players of the 1980s... although he could frustrate his own supporters especially during his spell at The Dons.

1952553968_download(2).jpeg.b2b53ae20915ef54e9ac20bd213ea32b.jpeg

Celtic's greatest ever bargain signing until Moravcik and Larsson a decade later, an absolute stand out player in the centenary season double which absolutely no one would have predicted when he joined for £70,000 in August 1987 to a collective 'WTF?' from most of the Celtic support then.

1961121801.jpgsr_1062374_large.jpg

It was 60 years ago today that Hearts and Rangers met in a fog-affected Scottish League Cup Final replay at Hampden... indeed fans couldn't see much of the early action due to the conditions. Floodlights has only been installed 2 months earlier (being hanselled by Rangers v Eintracht Frankfurt friendly).

This final is the latest in the year a Scottish League Cup Final has ever been played - although that'll be surpassed by tomorrow's edition - plus was the latest any major final had been played, up until the held-over Scottish Cup Final of 2019-20. Incidentally none has ever been in January.

Having drawn 1-1 in late October before 88,000 there were only 47,500 present to see Rangers run out 3-1 winners. They took the lead on 6mins, were pegged back within 60 seconds only to add 2 more by the time 20mins had been reached. There was to be no more scoring. Jimmy Millar, Ralph Brand and Ian McMillan on target for the Ibrox men; Norrie Davidson for Hearts.

Both clubs had fulfilled league games on the Saturday, with Rangers losing at Dunfermline and Hearts drawing with Kilmarnock. In those days Monday was a traditional night for midweek play.

On 16/12/2021 at 17:52, Dundee Hibernian said:

Tam eventually passed the club onto his son Hamish who I got to know a bit about 20 years ago when I was local to the area. He was a bit of a character, but by that time had handed/sold the club onto Peter McKenzie. McKenzie did a hell of a lot for the Binos including being key behind the move to Forthbank. 

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

1961121801.jpgsr_1062374_large.jpg

It was 60 years ago today that Hearts and Rangers met in a fog-affected Scottish League Cup Final replay at Hampden... indeed fans couldn't see much of the early action due to the conditions. Floodlights has only been installed 2 months earlier (being hanselled by Rangers v Eintracht Frankfurt friendly).

This final is the latest in the year a Scottish League Cup Final has ever been played - although that'll be surpassed by tomorrow's edition - plus was the latest any major final had been played, up until the held-over Scottish Cup Final of 2019-20. Incidentally none has ever been in January.

Having drawn 1-1 in late October before 88,000 there were only 47,500 present to see Rangers run out 3-1 winners. They took the lead on 6mins, were pegged back within 60 seconds only to add 2 more by the time 20mins had been reached. There was to be no more scoring. Jimmy Millar, Ralph Brand and Ian McMillan on target for the Ibrox men; Norrie Davidson for Hearts.

Both clubs had fulfilled league games on the Saturday, with Rangers losing at Dunfermline and Hearts drawing with Kilmarnock. In those days Monday was a traditional night for midweek play.

Funnily enough, it's foggy as f**k in Glasgow right now too

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic v Dunfermline from December 1990, Billy Davies, John Collins, David Moyes and an out of focus Mike Galloway in the background. 

20211217_231841.jpg

All 4 became managers:

Moyes is doing well with the 'ammers

Collins won the League Cup with Hibs. 

Davies had a not bad record in England, although his second spell at Forest was interesting...

Galloway managed Tranent and was sacked by Coldstream after 3 weeks ..

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

All 4 became managers:

Moyes is doing well with the 'ammers

Collins won the League Cup with Hibs. 

Davies had a not bad record in England, although his second spell at Forest was interesting...

Galloway managed Tranent and was sacked by Coldstream after 3 weeks ..

That's probably why he is out of focus...

On 18/12/2021 at 00:20, HibeeJibee said:

Dundee won the League Cup in December 1973 in a final that kicked off at 1pm due to the national power cuts taking place at that time. Dreadful weather on the day resulted in a poor crowd of 29,000. With the game in doubt in the morning thousands of fans from both sides decided not to travel

Edited by ScottyDee1893

On 16/12/2021 at 17:52, Dundee Hibernian said:

Annfield sounds a bit like Anfield, and I think there was a time while Bill Shankly was the Liverpool manager, his brother was the manager at Stirling Albion.  No wonder people kept getting the two clubs mixed up.