A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Loved to see that, I have a similar collection albeit for United mainly, but you've maybe aged me by saying they belonged to your late grandad.

If it makes you feel better that same grandad helped build Muirton Park in 1923-24...

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

A bizarre picture of the St Mirren side from 1987 atop an open top bus, unsure if this was due to them being sponsored by a bus company around then I vaguely recall or something to do with the Scottish Cup final build up from that year ?

IMG_20211207_193310.jpg

It was a promo, as you say, for Clydeside Buses who would be the shirt sponsor for the cup final.

Graham's Buses, a local bus company, had been the shirt sponsor for many seasons but, unluckily for them, their deal ran out at the end of the league season. Clydeside stepped in and the shirt/sponsor combo as shown in the picture was only worn once domestically (the cup final...it was also worn on a post-season tour of Singapore).

The following season Saints continued to be sponsored by Clydeside but had switched kit supplier to Matchwinner and the abominable "bib" kit.

image.jpeg.d45313e257a62f1f15cf82ec69df05cc.jpeg

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A bizarre picture of the St Mirren side from 1987 atop an open top bus, unsure if this was due to them being sponsored by a bus company around then I vaguely recall or something to do with the Scottish Cup final build up from that year ?

IMG_20211207_193310.jpg

Kenny McDowell is sitting precariously, if only someone had known he would end up at the tribute act they could've gave him a nudge.

If only Lambert had applied a bit of pressure with his hands in that position. 

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Partick Thistle v Rangers in 1977, torn faced horrible wee b*****d Alex McDonald in the blue, unsure of the home players but think one may be John Hansen, brother of Alan?

IMG_20211207_165005.jpg

Ronnie Sheed and John Hansen ?

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Partick Thistle v Rangers in 1977, torn faced horrible wee b*****d Alex McDonald in the blue, unsure of the home players but think one may be John Hansen, brother of Alan?

IMG_20211207_165005.jpg

That jags strip is an absolute brammer.

23 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20211207_193310.jpg

that was us practising for our cup final victory tour 

On 06/12/2021 at 09:58, ScottyDee1893 said:

My uncle played for a few clubs in England during the 50s and early 60s. He was approached by a couple of guys whilst doing the garden one day to see if he was interested in accepting a bribe to help throw a match. He declined but it was at the time when there was a big scandal down south around match fixing. A few players ended up getting the jail including a former England international player but I'm afraid I can't remember his name.

I remember watching this drama about it...

On 03/12/2021 at 18:15, HibeeJibee said:

Argentine world tour of 1979:

May 22     Netherlands 0-0 Argentina (7-8p)     in Switzerland, for 75th anniversary of FIFA
May 26     Italy 2-2 Argentina
May 29     League of Ireland 0-0 Argentina
Jun 2          Scotland 1-3 Argentina

Jun 6          New York Cosmos 0-1 Argentina

Ireland-Argentina-29.05.79-L.jpg     s-l300.jpg

Every time I watch Alan Hansen for Scotland he looked absolutely mince and that short clip isn't an exception to the rule...

54 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Gayfield in 1950.

1950-10-04-Gayfield-Park.thumb.jpg.9276902652b1b6620cae89123e104c0b.jpg

No enclosures at either end, which were, I think, built later on in the 'fifties.

Was that east enclosure roof made of lead slabs?! Must have at least 10 supporting columns yet it looks barely 20yds wide.

51 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

77/78 season as timelined by the old floodlights.

Talking of floodlights this was 60yrs today. Brockville had sported illumination since 1953 but chose weekday afternoon v Rangers:

1961120902.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee