A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

53 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not everybody succumbed to cash incentives or physical threats. Stenhousemuir's goalie was 'encouraged' by a Falkirk bookmaker to throw their game v Broxburn in 1925 - if he did £50 would come his way - but refused.

Aye, Stenhousemuir won the game 6-2. Joe Shortt was an expert penalty taker, as an aside.

1890665822_JoeShortt1926.thumb.jpg.a462ee9dba100717c13b64e8def6d568.jpg

On 03/12/2021 at 21:42, HibeeJibee said:

Suspect more of it went on than people would like to admit - particularly between the wars. There were various instances of people reporting approaches to fix games... and occasional cases of managers, directors or players being charged or prosecuted for dodgy doings.

My uncle played for a few clubs in England during the 50s and early 60s. He was approached by a couple of guys whilst doing the garden one day to see if he was interested in accepting a bribe to help throw a match. He declined but it was at the time when there was a big scandal down south around match fixing. A few players ended up getting the jail including a former England international player but I'm afraid I can't remember his name.

4 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

My uncle played for a few clubs in England during the 50s and early 60s. He was approached by a couple of guys whilst doing the garden one day to see if he was interested in accepting a bribe to help throw a match. He declined but it was at the time when there was a big scandal down south around match fixing. A few players ended up getting the jail including a former England international player but I'm afraid I can't remember his name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_football_match-fixing_scandal

It was 1964... all the details in there. Jimmy Gauld the ringleader was a Scot, and interestingly enough Dick Beattie of St Mirren was among those jailed.

Some earlier scandals from the 1910s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_bribery_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1915_British_football_match-fixing_scandal

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 03/12/2021 at 20:51, Ewan8472 said:

Ian St John said they nearly threw a game at Motherwell

Before St John's time, there were rumours of match-fixing when B Division champions Motherwell in their last game of the season, played bottom of the table (and headed for C Division) Dumbarton at Fir Park on 10 April 1954. The match ended 6-6, Motherwell having led 6-4 at half-time. This was at a time when Dumbarton were having difficulty meeting wages, the players having been unpaid for a number of weeks. This was only resolved a couple of weeks later, immediately before Dumbarton's final league match, when the Supporters Society came up with much of the outstanding amount. 

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_football_match-fixing_scandal

It was 1964... all the details in there. Jimmy Gauld the ringleader was a Scot, and interestingly enough Dick Beattie of St Mirren was among those jailed.

Some earlier scandals from the 1910s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_bribery_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1915_British_football_match-fixing_scandal

Although at Saints at the time of his imprisonment, all of the "fixed matches" were before he signed for the club.

Another wee attic find: a St Johnstone v Airdrie match programme from the Scottish Reserve League West in October 1984. Saints were producing free programmes for their reserve games that season, all done on a typewriter and photocopier. The result has a fanzine feel, well written and opinionated.

There's a brief interview with Ally MacLeod, and I liked the focus on young goalkeeper Gordon Drummond, who was at the time battling for a first-team place with new signing from Albion Rovers, John Balavage. Drummond's defensiveness ("AMBITION IN FOOTBALL: To prove Saints fans wrong") was maybe an indication of how that battle was going, and when four days later Balavage was injured in a league match, it was telling that Saints preferred to persuade Roy Baines out of retirement than recall Drummond. As Saints plummeted through the divisions, Drummond never achieved his footballing ambition; indeed some Saints fans continue to remember him as the worst Saints goalkeeper of all time.

Anyway, to the point: here's the programme.

141442515_Screenshot2021-12-07at18_35_07.png.f4d24fc2a1ecedb30fe6d5187ef2c484.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

On 23/11/2021 at 11:55, HibeeJibee said:

Maybe best example of this I've seen is Paul McQuade. He was Scotland's participant in a Rest of the World team that played England Schoolboys in 2004 for ESFA centenary.

England-V-Rest-of-World-XI-2004-Programm     paul-mcquade-bad56915-cec8-4697-af29-0e8

His adult career seemingly amounted to 1 season with Dundonald Bluebell, 2 with Cowdenbeath, and a few appearances for St Mirren, Forfar and East Fife. Injuries presumably.

He was a good player at Cowden.

Went pear shape after he went to St Mirren not sure how his career fizzled out so early.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Don't mind the Celtic stuff on here personally- they're a part of Scottish Football history after all. 

Here's a picture of the mighty King Victor playing for Albion Rovers:

Vic_Kasule.thumb.jpg.93b4aa7fac0095df82be2cf71d17ee9c.jpg

Affectionately known as Vodka Vic and well known to have ploughed a rake of dirties from the Coatbridge/Airdrie area, of which I'm sure there was plenty of choice 😀

9 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Found some of my late grandad's St Johnstone memorabilia in the attic this weekend. Love the simple style of the old season tickets, which I don't think changed for decades until the mid-1980s.

You could get a season ticket for the ground in our 1983-84 Premier League season for £30 - around £100 in today's money. Child season ticket for the main stand half that. 

IMG_1692.jpg

Loved to see that, I have a similar collection albeit for United mainly, but you've maybe aged me by saying they belonged to your late grandad.