A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Reading the article it would suggest that maybe one of the reasons why the 1888 game stands out is because West Brom, unusually, had an entirely English team whereas most top English teams had attracted a smattering of Scottish talent. So it had more of a claim to being a real "Scotland vs England" game.

On the same theme, contemporary sources suggest that WBA had been very lucky to win the FA Cup in the first place, as the officials had deliberately favoured "English" West Brom against a Preston side full of Scottish "mercenaries" in the final.

Extract from Wikipedia: "The refereeing of the game by Major Francis Marindin was also questioned privately by many observers who felt that he had potentially shown bias towards Albion's all English eleven. At one point during the game he stopped play just as Preston were about to score to award a free kick to Albion despite no Albion player having made an appeal, as was required by the rules of the game at that time. Cambridge University captain Tinsley Lindley later commented to defeated Preston player Jack Ross "Well Jack, you cannot expect to win when playing against eleven men and the devil."

Apologies, I know, "Non-Photographic History of English Football" for this pish, but I thought it was interesting. Players not being able to get a decision unless they appeal for it, like in cricket, seems very quaint.

Edited by Small Bovine Maisonette

21 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Reading the article it would suggest that maybe one of the reasons why the 1888 game stands out is because West Brom, unusually, had an entirely English team whereas most top English teams had attracted a smattering of Scottish talent. So it had more of a claim to being a real "Scotland vs England" game.

On the same theme, contemporary sources suggest that WBA had been very lucky to win the FA Cup in the first place, as the officials had deliberately favoured "English" West Brom against a Preston side full of Scottish "mercenaries" in the final.

Extract from Wikipedia: "The refereeing of the game by Major Francis Marindin was also questioned privately by many observers who felt that he had potentially shown bias towards Albion's all English eleven. At one point during the game he stopped play just as Preston were about to score to award a free kick to Albion despite no Albion player having made an appeal, as was required by the rules of the game at that time. Cambridge University captain Tinsley Lindley later commented to defeated Preston player Jack Ross "Well Jack, you cannot expect to win when playing against eleven men and the devil."

Apologies, I know, "Non-Photographic History of English Football" for this pish, but I thought it was interesting. Players not being able to get a decision unless they appeal for it, like in cricket, seems very quaint.

I can think of a few players who seem to think that rule still exists.

11 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:

Baddiel and Skinner lies !

I'm confused here as to what you mean, @Ewan8472 

David Baddiel was 17 and at school in Herts. when filming of 'The Captain's Tale' commenced, Frank Skinner was at university in the Midlands.

Here's a short 2019 video 'Our Cup of Tea' which factually documents West Auckland's achievements.

This is bound to have been covered previously on this thread, apologies if so..

IMG_1277.JPG.c8490ea880093949f4e25e6b19fd2863.JPG

The Queens Park team that were the only Scottish side to play in an English FA Cup Final.

from wiki;

In 1883, Queen's returned to the FA Cup and reached the final, scoring resounding wins over Crewe Alexandra (10–0) and Manchester F.C. (15–0) en route, only to be defeated by Blackburn Rovers.  The match against Manchester was the first FA Cup tie to be staged in Scotland, hosted at Titwood, the home of Clydesdale Cricket Club. A year later Queens met Blackburn Rovers in the final once again, but Rovers won again.  The 1885–86 competition saw the first entries by other Scottish clubs, as Queen's were joined by Partick Thistle, Third Lanark, Rangers and Heart of Midlothian; but Rangers and Hearts withdrew without playing a match. These clubs all returned for the 1886–87 competition, along with newcomers Renton and Cowlairs.

In 1887, the Scottish Football Association banned its members from taking any further part in the FA Cup.  No more Scottish clubs participated until Gretna F.C. entered the competition in the 1980s. 

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is bound to have been covered previously on this thread, apologies if so..

IMG_1277.JPG.c8490ea880093949f4e25e6b19fd2863.JPG

The Queens Park team that were the only Scottish side to play in an English FA Cup Final.

from wiki;

In 1883, Queen's returned to the FA Cup and reached the final, scoring resounding wins over Crewe Alexandra (10–0) and Manchester F.C. (15–0) en route, only to be defeated by Blackburn Rovers.  The match against Manchester was the first FA Cup tie to be staged in Scotland, hosted at Titwood, the home of Clydesdale Cricket Club. A year later Queens met Blackburn Rovers in the final once again, but Rovers won again.  The 1885–86 competition saw the first entries by other Scottish clubs, as Queen's were joined by Partick Thistle, Third Lanark, Rangers and Heart of Midlothian; but Rangers and Hearts withdrew without playing a match. These clubs all returned for the 1886–87 competition, along with newcomers Renton and Cowlairs.

In 1887, the Scottish Football Association banned its members from taking any further part in the FA Cup.  No more Scottish clubs participated until Gretna F.C. entered the competition in the 1980s. 

A bit of a forgotten game but Queens Park played Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup at the grounds of Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh.

Merchiston Castle School are now out at Redford but they moved years after this game so I believe the venue was where the Napier Uni Merchiston campus is in Colinton Road but I'm too lazy to do the research.

On 11/11/2021 at 23:10, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

The original way of officiating the game was for the captains to agree decisions amongst themselves.  From 1874 each side nominated an umpire to make those decisions.  And if there were disagreement as to the decision, they would refer the matter to a neutral standing at the touchline - the refer-ee.

1891 was when it changed to making the referee the active decision-maker and not requiring an appeal or something referred to him.  But that's why football has referees rather than umpires.

In 1959 Scottish Cup holders St. Mirren played English FA Cup holders Nottingham Forest in a Cup Winners Challenge, Saints winning after a 3-2 win at the City Ground followed by a 2-2 draw at Love St.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1959&GameID=195909230

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1959&GameID=195909300

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 11/11/2021 at 21:46, lionel wickson said:

Think the year may be wrong, as there was only one Scottish Cup tie involving  a Rangers in Februray 1967 and that was at Easter Road. I'm guessing the photo was taken in 1966?

It was indeed 1966 - February 28th. I was there.

Here's the mighty County taking the field that day ...140058820_2879629122354565_4246043374567081272_o.thumb.jpg.83866c21c05354020f170bbdc6fb2628.jpg

5 hours ago, Clockwork said:

First leg - Unofficial ‘British Championship Decider’ at Ibrox Stadium. Wed 27th Nov 1963 
Rangers 1 Everton 3 (the sides drew 1-1 at Goodison Park in the 2nd Leg the following Monday).

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

In 1959 Scottish Cup holders St. Mirren played English FA Cup holders Nottingham Forest in a Cup Winners Challenge, Saints winning after a 3-2 win at the City Ground followed by a 2-2 draw at Love St.

There were numerous attempts to set-up a 'British Championship' or 'British Cup' winners tournament between 1950s and 1980s; particularly in latter half of 1980s due to Heysel ban, as a way of giving English clubs some kind of international competition.

There was an annual league winners contest in UAE (albeit last edition at Ibrox); and an Anglo-Scottish Cup-Winners' Cup began with Coventry v St Mirren (but 2nd leg was never played).

s-l300.jpg     It8tUDyndaOfNiI0rOVNPw20732     OY6oYChJjbNzQKJqhqKj4g38475Anglo_Scottish_Challenge_Programme.jpg

On 13/11/2021 at 15:34, Clockwork said:

First leg - Unofficial ‘British Championship Decider’ at Ibrox Stadium. Wed 27th Nov 1963 
Rangers 1 Everton 3 (the sides drew 1-1 at Goodison Park in the 2nd Leg the following Monday).
F96DF278-8AE1-4E31-9857-738420064F30.thumb.jpeg.edbf99b5b1ec6eb7053ba7e0796a156a.jpeg
AD1A8B70-75A6-464E-B8B1-2DC8653E1E0A.thumb.jpeg.81043557e42d296acf756f797def6679.jpeg

I thought that there was a spelling mistake over Rangers "Watson" as maybe Wilson but Wiki rescued me by showing a Craig Watson was at Ibrox then. My excuse is that I was never a Rangers fan but my brother was and I had to suffer from his club triumphs in the 60s.

Century ago today Dumbarton 'keeper Joshua Wilkinson died of abdominal injuries, received in a hard encounter at Ibrox a couple of days before. Operation failed to save him from peritonitis.

1921111404.jpg

0_UGCRSR.jpg

1921111701.jpg

https://iainduff.wordpress.com/2013/11/19/death-of-a-goalkeeper/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/appeal-find-family-dumbarton-player-24593686