A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

You should have gone along Balmore Street and into the Balmore Bar, far better pint than Andy Laing’s (Stobbie Bar) in my day. Growing up in Dundee there were no specific names for areas near the grounds. The area between Sandeman Street up to Clepington Road was referred to as Fleming Gardens, probably because the two main streets were/are Fleming Gardens North and Fleming Gardens South. The other side of Provost Road could be considered part of the Coldside area but been away for more than a wee while.

The Balmore bar was my local for the year that I stayed in McGill Street. If my memory isn’t playing tricks on me, pretty sure it was one of the first pubs to sell Flemings Steak Pies, a real novelty of a pie in the late 70s. The Balmore Bar is etched in my mind for one infamous evening. It’s where I watched the Scotland v Iran 1978 World Cup match.

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The Balmore bar was my local for the year that I stayed in McGill Street. If my memory isn’t playing tricks on me, pretty sure it was one of the first pubs to sell Flemings Steak Pies, a real novelty of a pie in the late 70s. The Balmore Bar is etched in my mind for one infamous evening. It’s where I watched the Scotland v Iran 1978 World Cup match.

It certainly was one of the first to sell Flemings Streak Pies and they were good. I lived in Park Terrace back then so we probably crossed paths as the Balmore was one of my regular haunts. Wasn’t there for the Iran game but was there a few days earlier for the Peru game. 

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Sorry to go off topic but are Tannadice & Dens considered to be in the Stobswell area of Dundee? I can't find anything confirming that online.

I did a quick Google and there are 31 districts in Dundee.  Only Hilltown/Dundee Law/Stobswell would be fair shouts but none of them claim the 2 stadiums in their boundaries.  

I would usually describe them as being just off the Cleppy Road.

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

It certainly was one of the first to sell Flemings Streak Pies and they were good. I lived in Park Terrace back then so we probably crossed paths as the Balmore was one of my regular haunts. Wasn’t there for the Iran game but was there a few days earlier for the Peru game. 

I’m getting tearful. It’s a small world.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

To be fair, Aberdeen fans claim a one off charity shield style match as a major European honour, so st Mirren's pre-season continental cup win is probably fair game.

The Aberdeen one is flexible. It's a charity shield/glorified friendly when engaging with Dons fans. It's major European trophy making them the only Scottish club with two European trophies when the the bigot brothers are involved. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

To be fair, Aberdeen fans claim a one off charity shield style match as a major European honour, so st Mirren's pre-season continental cup win is probably fair game.

It was actually post season. Dunky Walker had just scored 45 league goals and a further 11 in the Scottish Cup, he then scored 6 in 7-3 win vs Sporting Gijon.

Screenshot_20211110-125807_Chrome.jpg