A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

47 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Firhill for thrills 1995

1224E66F-39E4-4E7A-B18C-018723E8D527.jpeg

Last time Partick played in Europe... entering first Intertoto Cup under UEFA auspices drew 2-2 in Linz, beat Keflavik 3-1, lost 1-0 in Metz and 2-1 at home to NK Zagreb - failing to progress.

5 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Firhill for thrills 1995

1224E66F-39E4-4E7A-B18C-018723E8D527.jpeg

Well,...this has taken a strange wee turn. I don't often visit this thread given that it is part of the forum given over to the top teams, but I had a shooftie tonight and have spotted (I think) a chap who used to drink beside me in the Vale Bar on Dundas Street.

See the chap getting ready to be handcuffed ?....I'm pretty sure that is Martin, my pub pal.

We lost contact after I retired. Nice bloke, as most Thistle supporters seem to be.

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A couple of hundred National Front members turned up at Hampden for the 1985 Rous Cup match between Scotland and England and, by all accounts got a few well deserved slaps.

IMG_20211028_183711.jpg

I was a wide eye school kid in section N, where most of the trouble was centred. The picture looks like section O, next door.

A lot of the National Front guys climbed that fence to escape to the safety of the running track.   A slapstick tug-of-war broke out when one of them got stuck on top of the fence, with his mates trying to pull him to safety, and a horde of tartan japesters (successfully) dragging him back on to the terracing where he was engulfed.

All this was going on while an absolute fortune in loose change was raining down on the scene from above, with coins ricocheting off the crush barriers, etc.

I never saw a sniff of trouble outside that day. It was all inside the ground. Pishing down all day long as well

18 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A couple of hundred National Front members turned up at Hampden for the 1985 Rous Cup match between Scotland and England and, by all accounts got a few well deserved slaps.

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was a wide eye school kid in section N, where most of the trouble was centred. The picture looks like section O, next door.

A lot of the National Front guys climbed that fence to escape to the safety of the running track.   A slapstick tug-of-war broke out when one of them got stuck on top of the fence, with his mates trying to pull him to safety, and a horde of tartan japesters (successfully) dragging him back on to the terracing where he was engulfed.

All this was going on while an absolute fortune in loose change was raining down on the scene from above, with coins ricocheting off the crush barriers, etc.

I never saw a sniff of trouble outside that day. It was all inside the ground. Pishing down all day long as well

Full recording of BBC1's coverage:

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Full recording of BBC1's coverage:

Trouble starts at 45:50 in the video and Archie MacPherson sporadically comments on it over the next ten minutes or so ("Mayhem..battle in the background"), with snippets of  footage, until the English fans have been punted out of the stadium via the ramp where the pipe band are standing. You can see the pipers amonsgt the NF guys at 52:40.

image.png.7082c8329eef796a79c41a43391c78cf.png

4 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was in the North enclosure and encountered a solitary English fan outside wearing a Union Jack. Guy looked about 40 and seemed to have no idea where he was going. Got mostly verbal abuse but saw him take one or two digs from boys walking past him. Almost felt sorry for him.

I was at most auld enemy matches back then and I'm pretty sure there had been some trouble 2 years previous when a similar number of England fans were in the east terracing close to the corner flag. it wasn't a good outcome for them either

22 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Trouble starts at 45:50 in the video and Archie MacPherson sporadically comments on it over the next ten minutes or so ("Mayhem..battle in the background"), with snippets of  footage, until the English fans have been punted out of the stadium via the ramp where the pipe band are standing. You can see the pipers amonsgt the NF guys at 52:40.

image.png.7082c8329eef796a79c41a43391c78cf.png

I remember one of the pipers booting an English hoolie on the erse as they were being led out past the band. Got the biggest cheer of the day til we scored 😄

12 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I was in the North enclosure and encountered a solitary English fan outside wearing a Union Jack. Guy looked about 40 and seemed to have no idea where he was going. Got mostly verbal abuse but saw him take one or two digs from boys walking past him. Almost felt sorry for him.

I possibly saw him too, there was a guy wandering about Somerville Drive experiencing a barrage of "Spot, spot the loony".

18 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I was at most auld enemy matches back then and I'm pretty sure there had been some trouble 2 years previous when a similar number of England fans were in the east terracing close to the corner flag. it wasn't a good outcome for them either

I decided to continue my tradition of swapping shirts with opposition supporters that day. Great idea until I got separated from my pals and was wandering about outside Hampden as a lone "England supporter". An eventful passage of time. I was never so glad to see them and borrow a jumper.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 27/10/2021 at 17:50, HibeeJibee said:

Fair point. I'm not sure whether they could both enter? They weren't both allowed to participate in World Cup qualifying until 1962, and in Olympic qualifying until 1968... before that they were required to playoff with each other (at first behind closed doors at semi-secret venues) with whoever won then entering qualifying as 'Germany'.

I didn't know that.

Does it mean that the team that won the 1954 World Cup was called 'Germany' rather than 'West Germany' even though its players will all have come from the West?

Nobody properly worked out the political situation until reunification.  Willy Brandt called Germany "two states within one nation".  I think that programme though is using shorthand because it gives the full FA titles.  So it is the DFB team from Germany, as opposed to whatever the DDR body was called.

Fun fact: in order to qualify for the 1954 World Cup, West Germany had to beat Norway, and a third German team - Saarland.  After WW2 it was a territory occupied by France with a plebiscite ten years later to see whether it would become part of France permanently, re-join Germany, or become an independent state the size of Luxembourg.  After a decade of French rule the population was almost unanimous in preferring Germany.  Part of that might have been that the main football team there - 1FC Saarbrücken - won the French Ligue B but was barred from being promoted.  They did however play in the first European Cup.

(Saarland's boss would win the World Cup - as coach of West Germany.)

51 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Fun fact: in order to qualify for the 1954 World Cup, West Germany had to beat Norway, and a third German team - Saarland.  After WW2 it was a territory occupied by France with a plebiscite ten years later to see whether it would become part of France permanently, re-join Germany, or become an independent state the size of Luxembourg.  After a decade of French rule the population was almost unanimous in preferring Germany.  Part of that might have been that the main football team there - 1FC Saarbrücken - won the French Ligue B but was barred from being promoted.  They did however play in the first European Cup.

... where they won 4-3 away to AC Milan in the San Siro. Then conceded 3 late goals in 2nd leg to exit in R1; same round in which Hibs defeated Rot Weiss Essen of West Germany.

They actually took their WC 1954 qualifying group you mention down to the last tie: had they beaten West Germany at home it would've gone to a playoff. They'd won in Norway and drew at home to them.

They entered 'World Youth Tournament' in 1953 (beat NI; held Switzerland)... 1954 (beat NI/Austria/France; held England)... 1955 (beat Switzerland)... 1956 (beat France; held Belgium).

As you note Saarbrucken played in the French tier 2 for 1948-49 as they would have walked the Saarland league. (It could be like Dumfries & Galloway being separated and Queen of the South contesting a league with Annan and Stranraer plus the South league clubs). However their results didn't count so for the next couple of seasons they organised an 'International Series' where different foreign clubs visited each weekend: http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/saarland.html

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

As you note Saarbrucken played in the French tier 2 for 1948-49 as they would have walked the Saarland league. (It could be like Dumfries & Galloway being separated and Queen of the South contesting a league with Annan and Stranraer plus the South league clubs). However their results didn't count so for the next couple of seasons they organised an 'International Series' where different foreign clubs visited each weekend: http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/saarland.html

Indeed their reserve side won the third and final Saarland league.  After 1951, the Saarland teams were re-integrated into the German system.