A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

8 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Scotland win the Rous Cup with a 1-0 victory against England at Hampden in 1985. Richard Gough and Roy Aitken celebrate Gough's 69th minute winner.

61C7B42C-069B-4007-B2B8-DDC074056651.jpeg

A game that I remember for the racist abuse, sang loud and clear (I think it was to the tune of a Boney M song)by a large section of the home crowd and heard on TV, to the English right-back Viv Anderson.

Embarrassing and shameful.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

37 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A game that I remember for the racist abuse, sang loud and clear (I think it was to the tune of a Boney M song)by a large section of the home crowd and heard on TV, to the English right-back Viv Anderson.

Embarrassing and shameful.

I was in the Rangers end and John Barnes was also getting it thick, straightforward monkey chants though. Absolutely disgusting and fortunately mostly consigned to the dustbin of history. 

Edited by Lurkst

On 26/10/2021 at 13:17, HibeeJibee said:

Remember that SFA didn't bother entering Euro 60 or Euro 64 qualifying - on latter occasion only ourselves, Cyprus and Finland stayed out

West Germany didn't enter either, although East Germany did 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

West Germany didn't enter either, although East Germany did 🤷‍♂️

Fair point. I'm not sure whether they could both enter? They weren't both allowed to participate in World Cup qualifying until 1962, and in Olympic qualifying until 1968... before that they were required to playoff with each other (at first behind closed doors at semi-secret venues) with whoever won then entering qualifying as 'Germany'.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair point. I'm not sure whether they could both enter? They weren't both allowed to participate in World Cup qualifying until 1962, and in Olympic qualifying until 1968... before that they were required to playoff with each other (at first behind closed doors at semi-secret venues) with whoever won then entering qualifying as 'Germany'.

That might explain it.

I was surprised to read recently East Germany never fully entered the Olympics til the 1970s, there was a combined German Olympic team even after the Berlin Wall went up!

Anyway, not much to do with Scottish football, so here's the only image I can find of Kilmarnock playing in East Germany, versus Lokomotive Leipzig in 1967...

559ef60bb988d.jpg

Leipzig has defeated Eusebio's Benfica in the previous round, but couldn't overcome the mighty Killie in the quarters.

In fact they had a 0% success rate against Scottish clubs, being knocked out by Hibs two seasons later and Hearts in 1976.

Edited by Lurkst

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

But there is MacLeod of Dumbarton playing for Scotland's Youths vs Finland's Youths on the same night at Love Street according to that newspaper image.

Capture.JPG.076634b78e3c0b44501c7d4971a246d3.JPG

Ray Lorimer, Bobby Connor, Campbell Money, Joe McBride (Junior), Dougie Bell, Ralph Milne and presumably John McDonald are some of the names I recognise in that team. Maybe some of you recognise the others?

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Ray Lorimer, Bobby Connor, Campbell Money, Joe McBride (Junior), Dougie Bell, Ralph Milne and presumably John McDonald are some of the names I recognise in that team. Maybe some of you recognise the others?

George Cowie went onto play for Hearts and was from Buckie.

George Tulloch the St Johnstone goalie.

Graham Clark went onto play for Montrose and was an Aberdonian.

Billy MacKay was the Oldco player.

Both Cowie and MacKay were on the Hearts bench for the 1986 Scottish Cup Final.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

14 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

But there is MacLeod of Dumbarton playing for Scotland's Youths vs Finland's Youths on the same night at Love Street according to that newspaper image.

Capture.JPG.076634b78e3c0b44501c7d4971a246d3.JPG

That was an U18 tournament and Murdo was 20 in 1978 so must have been another McLeod

Edited by Arabdownunder

1 hour ago, Arabdownunder said:

That was an U18 tournament and Murdo was 20 in 1978 so must have been another McLeod

Indeed, I think the Dumbarton fan above called it right when he suggested it was Murdo's brother Ally, born in 1960. All the players here are either born in 1960 or 1961.

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

McAveety is Phil, who is the brother of former MSP Frank McAveety, according to a guy I worked with who was taught by Frank when he ws a teacher.