A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 minutes ago, Myles Offside said:

Falkirk and The Shire both playing home European ties on the same night? Nope, safe to say it's never happened.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're probably right...

Both played in the Anglo-Scottish Cup of 1980-81, but lost their opening ties and played home legs a few days apart... Falkirk drew 2-2 v Morton on Saturday 2nd August (lost away 5-1); whilst 'Shire (having won away 3-1) lost 3-0 v Kilmarnock on Wednesday 6th.

22 hours ago, Eednud said:

Dundee v Cologne for me. 

The greatest last 20 minutes of a game I've ever witnessed at Dens (or probably any other ground tbf). Wolfgang Overath would be a World Cup winner 3 years later but left the pitch in tears that night. Apparently gave some Dundee players the German version of 'yer tea's oot' when they went 4-2 up on aggregate. They weren't slow to remind him of that at full time

12 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

The greatest last 20 minutes of a game I've ever witnessed at Dens (or probably any other ground tbf). Wolfgang Overath would be a World Cup winner 3 years later but left the pitch in tears that night. Apparently gave some Dundee players the German version of 'yer tea's oot' when they went 4-2 up on aggregate. They weren't slow to remind him of that at full time

It was a great game. Next round against AC Milan was another memorable one.

35 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Both played in the Anglo-Scottish Cup of 1980-81, but lost their opening ties and played home legs a few days apart... Falkirk drew 2-2 v Morton on Saturday 2nd August (lost away 5-1); whilst 'Shire (having won away 3-1) lost 3-0 v Kilmarnock on Wednesday 6th.

I was at both games against Kilmarnock. Don't think I've ever felt worse after a game than that second leg. (Well, until losing the LL play-off, anyway). Missed out on a trip to Blackpool where my brother was living at the time. Gutted.

On 21/10/2021 at 10:05, thisal said:

Asa Hartford signing for Leeds!!!

So many talking points in that single page!

like a time capsule unearthed after 50 years…..
four goals for Drew Jarvie as Airdrie wipe the floor with a Huddersfield side that included Trevor Cherry and Frank ‘Wothington’

D1AE068C-A12F-4FA3-8731-4B2D9E8A87A0.jpeg

On 20/10/2021 at 16:23, craigkillie said:

Curiously, both Dundee United and Rangers played in Valetta, Malta on the same day back in September 1983. Dundee United beat Hamrun Spartans 3-0 in the European Cup and Rangers beat Valetta 8-0 in the Cup Winners' Cup.

Even more amazingly than that, both were played in the same stadium as a double header.

116.jpg

I was on holiday in Malta in 1983 and one of the excursions was to Mdina in the centre of the island (Valletta is in the north-east corner), and also got a look at Ta’Qali which is nearby and is the National Stadium. As I remember there were only 8 teams in the Maltese league and they all played there, with double headers on Saturday and Sunday. On a grass pitch too.

According to the Futbology app, there are loads more stadiums now, and none of the current 12 premier league clubs play there. Valletta now play at the much smaller Centenary Stadium which is nearby. From what I remember there would be a shortage of land around Valletta and Malta is one of the world’s most densely populated countries. 

Edited by The Mantis

four goals for Drew Jarvie as Airdrie wipe the floor with a Huddersfield side that included Trevor Cherry and Frank ‘Wothington’
D1AE068C-A12F-4FA3-8731-4B2D9E8A87A0.thumb.jpeg.4c52f80382458bdbc4516f06934d6925.jpeg

Drew Jarvie, probably our most underrated player ever. Go knows how many assists he did for king Joey

19 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

D1AE068C-A12F-4FA3-8731-4B2D9E8A87A0.jpeg

I also didn't know we played that many international games (especially qualifiers) away from Hampden - I thought that was a fairly recent phenomenon. 

I also didn't know we played that many international games (especially qualifiers) away from Hampden - I thought that was a fairly recent phenomenon. 

It wasn't all that common, just the odd game here and there. I think that Belgium game at Pittodrie was the only qualifier we played away from Hampden until the 90s.

On 21/10/2021 at 13:09, ScottyDee1893 said:

Wolfgang Overath would be a World Cup winner 3 years later but left the pitch in tears that night.

How did he manage that?  English granny?

My parents were at that game, 10 days before they got married.

Edited by Monkey Tennis