A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Immediate? As in they aren't going to produce any more this season? Seems a strange thing to do - why now when they could have either stopped at the start of the season or waited until the end of the season? 

Desperate cash-flow issues?

Whatever, some great cover photos there (the key to this thread!), so thanks to @HibeeJibee

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

Immediate.

So issue v St Johnstone on Sunday 26th September was final ever: but nobody knew. No special last edition etc.

Sad way to end what started 96yr ago and was spectacular 60yr ago.

How does that work with Scottish cup where you have to produce a programme I think.

Just now, Tynierose said:

How does that work with Scottish cup where you have to produce a programme I think.

I actually thought you had to produce a programme for top flight matches e,g Arbroath didn't normally issue one while in Division Two (afaik), but produced them in 1959/60 & 1968/69 when in Division One. But maybe that all changed when the Premier League started. Or maybe I'm talking nonsense.

5 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Desperate cash-flow issues?

They've changed a lot of the staff "upstairs" lately I'm sure. This absolutely reeks of a new manager in charge doing something in the hope it makes them look intelligent and worthwhile. Probably formed a "think tank" and drew up a "strategic plan", before having multiple meetings discussing costs and sales etc., before deciding it was a good idea.

14 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

No specific mention of programmes in cup rules now.

Articles of Association simply say:

29.3 A club or recognised football body issuing a match programme shall make available one page for promoting the Scottish FA’s activities and interests, as from time to time may be decided by the Board.

If mandatory, actually enforced, and home draw R4-R6... presumably they'll do an 'ad hoc' special.

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I actually thought you had to produce a programme for top flight matches

Myth sadly.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I guess programmes are a bit obsolete now due to all clubs having Twitter accounts and websites. Pater Army buys a program mainly out of habit now but he barely reads it (infuriating things your parents do for this pish) as the info contained within can be found online.

On 14/10/2021 at 23:32, Sergeant Wilson said:

I had a couple.of those. Now gone to The Great Programme Collection in the Sky for Money for Drink.

I had 3 bound complete seasons that I got from my uncle who grew up a hibby. They appeared to be mint, I.e. they weren’t bought at matches.

These included reserve games and if memory serves, were 49-50, 51-52 and 54-55. The last one must have been nearly an inch thick.
I was selling some other stuff (pre-internet) and some guy in London rang me up and asked if I had any bound seasons. I put him off but he kept phoning and eventually I sold him the 3 for £200. A few months later my uncle dropped dead on Xmas day at the age of 46 so I wrote to the guy and asked if he would sell me one of them back, but I never heard back.

Btw, these were about A4 size, usually 12 pages, whereas when I first got taken to Easter Road in 1967 for Hibs v Berwick, and for years afterwards, they were about A5 size.

14 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I had 3 bound complete seasons that I got from my uncle who grew up a hibby. They appeared to be mint, I.e. they weren’t bought at matches.

These included reserve games and if memory serves, were 49-50, 51-52 and 54-55. The last one must have been nearly an inch thick.
I was selling some other stuff (pre-internet) and some guy in London rang me up and asked if I had any bound seasons. I put him off but he kept phoning and eventually I sold him the 3 for £200. A few months later my uncle dropped dead on Xmas day at the age of 46 so I wrote to the guy and asked if he would sell me one of them back, but I never heard back.

Btw, these were about A4 size, usually 12 pages, whereas when I first got taken to Easter Road in 1967 for Hibs v Berwick, and for years afterwards, they were about A5 size.

Back in 1950s and 1960s clubs used to present club officials with bound sets. For a while Hibs and some other clubs issued programmes every week i.e.  reserves alternated with first-team.

Incidentally nowadays some of those programmes could sell for approaching £200!

Hibs introduced their famous photographic roughly A4-size for 1949-50. Here's another example:

img362.thumb.jpg.798fb5ad0858d4d7e7f0956263532032.jpg

Usually the reserve matches had fewer pages so covers carried text instead of photos.

This was succeeded by a roughly A5-size for 1956-57. Here's another example:

img353.thumb.jpg.4fe27d5bb12054ef504aa0749492882a.jpg

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Graeme Payne at the corner of Tannadice where the Jerry Kerr stand is now at Dundee United v Falkirk in 1982, anyone able to name his opponent? 

IMG_20211018_103823.jpg

Looks a bit like Willie Herd to me. Jerry Kerr Stand (Main Stand) just sneaks into the left of the photo. The area behind the players was uncovered terrace, where the Jim McLean Stand (extension to Main Stand) now sits.

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Graeme Payne at the corner of Tannadice where the Jerry Kerr stand is now at Dundee United v Falkirk in 1982, anyone able to name his opponent? 

IMG_20211018_103823.jpg

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looks a bit like Willie Herd to me. Jerry Kerr Stand (Main Stand) just sneaks into the left of the photo. The area behind the players was uncovered terrace, where the Jim McLean Stand (extension to Main Stand) now sits.

It's Alan Oliver.

League Cup game, smashed 0-4.