A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Always wondered, why did dundee not use an enclosure right along the Derry? Same for behind the goal? I have some sort of memory that the roof was 2nd hand, possibly from Ibrox, but I could be wrong. 

If you look closely at the land to the west of the roofed enclosure (left side as you look at the photo) the land begins to slope down and therefore become narrower where any extended roofed enclosure would go.  To further build the land up at the time of construction (1959 / 1960 I think) was going to increase construction costs significantly.  At least, that is what I’ve been told in the past.

I think there is an urban myth that Dundee bought the main stand from Rangers.  Maybe that’s what you are thinking about?

For what it’s worth, I like the fact that I sit in the Derry where my father and his father stood watching Dundee.  It’s going to be a real shame (but I accept necessary) if we ever do build a new stadium.

37 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

130,000 at Hampden in 1972 to see Alan Ball score the only goal of the game for England against Scotland. 

IMG_20211010_213037.jpg

I was at that game with my dad. Only time we ever went to the football together. We are almost certainly in the picture.

England goal greeted with absolute silence around us and a sizeable number didn't even know they had scored. I only saw it because I was on my dad's shoulders at the time. No scoreboards anywhere, at least none visible from our position. I remember some bloke in front of me at half time saying we were doing alright but nil-nil probably fair. Him and several others couldn't be persuaded we were losing 1-0 - nearly kicked off a brawl.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If you look closely at the land to the west of the roofed enclosure (left side as you look at the photo) the land begins to slope down and therefore become narrower where any extended roofed enclosure would go.  To further build the land up at the time of construction (1959 / 1960 I think) was going to increase construction costs significantly.  At least, that is what I’ve been told in the past.

I think there is an urban myth that Dundee bought the main stand from Rangers.  Maybe that’s what you are thinking about?

For what it’s worth, I like the fact that I sit in the Derry where my father and his father stood watching Dundee.  It’s going to be a real shame (but I accept necessary) if we ever do build a new stadium.

Ah maybe it was wrong re the roof from Ibrox then. Did think I had heard something. It's not something done much now, but re purpose of bits of grounds used to happen more than you would expect. Halifax still use part of a roof that was used in Man City's ground pre Maine Road, so over 100 years old and Cliftonhill has or certainly had the old lights from Cardiff Arms Park. Likewise, until they moved Jeanfield swifts had old floodlights from Muirton Park that were replaced by one's at Muirton that are still being used after being taken to McDiarmid when Saints moved. 

You are spot on re sitting where generations before once stood. It takes time for the same thing to happen at new stadiums. I still sit very close with my kids at McDiarmid as to where I sat with my dad and Grandad when McDiarmid first opened. Suppose that's what you get when a stadium is 30 years plus old. When I was wee, before we moved ground, we used to always stand where my dad stood with his grandad (it's now roughly the booze isle in ASDA! 😝). Must be loads of families like that all over the country. 

On 10/10/2021 at 21:19, Flybhoy said:

An aerial view of Dens and Tannadice, going by the fact there is no roof on the big terrace at United I'm guessing late 70's or early 80's.

IMG_20211010_211603.jpg

At that time two of the weirdest stadiums in Scotland, the UK, the world.

Tannadice with its L-shaped cantilevered stand (only the 3rd in the UK at that time after Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday) and its ridiculously steep uncovered terrace.

Dens with the most pronounced cranked main stand ever designed by Leitch and a cover which only covered two thirds of one side and another which sat, high perched on a corner, covering only about a quarter of that end.

Edited by Arch Stanton

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not the 'eighties, the enclosure went up in 1979 from recollection, but I'm trying to mind when the TC Keay works was knocked down: think it was later.

TC Keay was still there in late 1980.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

At that time two of the weirdest stadiums in Scotland, the UK, the world.

Tannadice with its L-shaped cantilevered stand (only the 3rd in the UK at that time after Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday) and its ridiculously steep uncovered terrace.

Dens with the most pronounced cranked main stand ever designer by Leitch and a cover which only covered two thirds of one side and another which sat, high perched on a corner, covering only about a quarter of that end.

It was quite precipitous!

12 hours ago, Eednud said:

TC Keay was still there in late 1980.

The old Maryfield Hospital is at the top of the picture. I think that it closed in 76 and was demolished not long afterwards.

Extending the South Enclosure for the full length of the pitch would have added to the cost considerably due to the difference in height. The same applied to a lesser extent to the Provost Road end but could have been done had the board decided to spend more money on the fans than themselves. 

The story about the stand being purchased second hand from Rangers is complete nonsense. As mentioned above it was designed by Archibald Leitch who was also responsible for grandstand construction at Ibrox, Hampden (North Stand), Goodison, Roker Park amongst others

49 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Hibs - among the pioneers of the 20s and 40s - yesterday announced the immediate end of the matchday programme after 75yrs continuous.

Some iconic cover designs from the 'golden age' in 1950s & 1960s:

Immediate? As in they aren't going to produce any more this season? Seems a strange thing to do - why now when they could have either stopped at the start of the season or waited until the end of the season? 

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Immediate? As in they aren't going to produce any more this season? Seems a strange thing to do - why now when they could have either stopped at the start of the season or waited until the end of the season? 

That's what I was going to post.

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's what I was going to post.

Immediate.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/communication-and-content-changes

After reviewing our communications and content output since the start of the 2021/22 campaign, we’re making a number of changes that we’d like to share with our supporters. That starts with our matchday programme. We used the international break to analyse the readership, downloads, and purchases of each edition and have made a decision to no longer continue with these in their current format.

We do, however, understand that there is a section of our supporters, currently and historically, that like to purchase written publications from us. With this in mind, we’ve come up with an alternative and will produce a 100-page quarterly magazine. The magazine will attempt to bring you closer to the club, our players, our staff, and aim to give you a great insight into Hibernian FC. We aspire to print the first edition in January.

So issue v St Johnstone on Sunday 26th September was final ever: but nobody knew. No special last edition etc.

Sad way to end what started 96yr ago and was spectacular 60yr ago.