A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The beginning of foreign players influxing Scottish football in the late 1980's as Dunfermline's Hungarian striker Istvan Kozma (who would be signed by Graeme Souness for Liverpool a couple of years later and be found to be woefully out of his depth) tussles with Poland and Celtic defender Dariusz Wdowczyk at East End Park. 

IMG_20210928_224258.jpg

Interestingly  Kosmas son (born in Dunfermline) went on to represent Hungary at 3 Olympics in swimming. 

Murdo McLeod in a classic Celtic kit in 1984, just before advertising became common place. From memory CR Smith were the first sponsors on the hoops bizarrely halfway through the season, I'm sure this is from a Glasgow Cup tie at Firhill, August 1984, a few months before the double glazing firm appeared on the shirt.

IMG_20210929_183859.jpg

10 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

If Stein had scored, he would have equalled Hughie Gallacher's individual record of scoring 5 in one game for Scotland.

Seems strange they wouldn’t let a guy on 4 goals take the penalty when already 7-0 up. 

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Murdo McLeod in a classic Celtic kit in 1984, just before advertising became common place. From memory CR Smith were the first sponsors on the hoops bizarrely halfway through the season, I'm sure this is from a Glasgow Cup tie at Firhill, August 1984, a few months before the double glazing firm appeared on the shirt.

IMG_20210929_183859.jpg

It's interesting that even Meadowbank Thistle had had shirt sponsors for a number of seasons by 1984. You'd have thought the old Celtic board would have wanted to grab every sponsors' penny earlier but I suppose the "sanctity" of the Hoops came first.

Talking of Hoops, Queens Park were the last Scottish League club to have shirt sponsors.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's interesting that even Meadowbank Thistle had had shirt sponsors for a number of seasons by 1984. You'd have thought the old Celtic board would have wanted to grab every sponsors' penny earlier but I suppose the "sanctity" of the Hoops came first.

Talking of Hoops, Queens Park were the last Scottish League club to have shirt sponsors.

The OF were late to shirt sponsorship because putting your company's name on one of the shirts risked being boycotted by fans of the other cheek. CR Smith got round this by sponsoring both teams

16 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Does this count as the first or was it just a large strip manufacturer's logo?...

EjWqrT9WkAEhXdT.jpg

See the wee lad hanging over to touch Best, he's got on the Hibs alternative purple Bukta jersey of the time. They had to wear that when on television to avoid sponsorship issues, and a major shareholder of the time was rumoured to have wanted the club to change to purple as the main team colour. I'm not sure if that was Tom Hart, the chairman. In any case, the wall depicting a large harp badge outside the main stand was 'accidentally' removed at the same point, and that reinforced the belief that within the club, there were influences which wanted to obliterate parts of the club's history, or at least associations with their founding.

To Best: the deal to being him in on huge wages per match, with a guarantee of playing time when he was available, was all done without the manager's knowledge, which was a terrible deception of fine Hibs servant Eddie Turnbull.

EDIT: added photo of terrace entrances to right of main stand, which displayed the harp badge.

Harp3.jpg.cb51b8d6136d27cbb00e4b02f6347e52.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
photograph addition.

16 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Did you eviscerate the Richard Gough book in print? Are you Bruno Glanvilla?

IIRC Bruno Glanvilla was actually best selling Paisley novelist Chris Brookmyre.

Irvine Welsh also penned articles for the Hibs Monthly fanzine under the pen name "Octopus".

Despite being published in TAG myself I've never become a novelist. :(

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

IIRC Bruno Glanvilla was actually best selling Paisley novelist Chris Brookmyre.

Irvine Welsh also penned articles for the Hibs Monthly fanzine under the pen name "Octopus".

Despite being published in TAG myself I've never become a novelist. :(

Not yet, you mean. 

On 28/09/2021 at 20:46, Drew Brees said:

Was reading once how Ian St John never forgave him for that day, saying after the game he went into the dressing room and Haffey was in the bath, singing away to himself. 

Was it not the " Lawman " ?

He and Haffey met up in Oz ( Haffey was living there ) later in the sixties Haffey asked whether it was o.k. to return home to which Denis replied best to give it a few more years

Edited by Ewan8472

On 25/09/2021 at 09:19, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

What P&B looked like 35 years ago.

One of the proprietors earned a big money move to a national newspaper 

I wrote an article criticising Alex Miller for playing Andy Watson on the left wing , but it got " lost in the post "

Edited by Ewan8472