A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Tommy Gemmell scores for Scotland from the penalty spot in a 8 - 0 victory against Cyprus in a World Cup qualifier at Hampden Park in May 1969.  No defenders bothering chasing in the penalty, must’ve known their keeper was shit  

8835657B-0450-4C2B-97B3-AA9E150B364F.jpeg

As it was goal number 8, who could blame them?

9 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Been trying to get names for them

Haffey, MacKay, Cummings, Caldow, McColl, Evans, McCann, Leggatt, Young, St John, Law, Weir. 12 names for 11 players, not bad eh. Trainer might be Johnny Hubbard. 

Aaaargh! Haffey! There are so many Scots still suffering ptsd at the mention of his name courtesy of the low point of both his career and our following the national team. 

But some real class there too.

40 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Aaaargh! Haffey! There are so many Scots still suffering ptsd at the mention of his name courtesy of the low point of both his career and our following the national team. 

But some real class there too.

Was reading once how Ian St John never forgave him for that day, saying after the game he went into the dressing room and Haffey was in the bath, singing away to himself. 

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Trainer might be Johnny Hubbard. 

Hubbard would still have been in his 20s then so unlikely!

I think it could be from before this game...

(9th April 1960  (65th Home International Championship)
SCOTLAND - ENGLAND  1-1  (1-0)
Referee:   Jeno Sramko (Hungary)
Crowd:     129.193, Hampden Park, Glasgow
Goals:     1-0 Leggat (16), 1-1 Charlton (49) penalty
SCOTLAND:  (Manager:  Andrew Beattie)
Francis Haffey			     (Celtic) -
Duncan MacKay			     (Celtic)
Eric Caldow			     (Rangers) -
John Cumming			     (Heart of Midlothian)
Robert Evans [c]		     (Celtic)
Robert Johnston McCann		     (Motherwell) -
Graham Leggat			     (Fulham)
Alexander Young			     (Heart of Midlothian)
John (Ian) St John		     (Motherwell)
Denis Law			     (Manchester City)
Andrew Best Weir		     (Motherwell)

Edited by Lurkst

The beginning of foreign players influxing Scottish football in the late 1980's as Dunfermline's Hungarian striker Istvan Kozma (who would be signed by Graeme Souness for Liverpool a couple of years later and be found to be woefully out of his depth) tussles with Poland and Celtic defender Dariusz Wdowczyk at East End Park. 

IMG_20210928_224258.jpg

3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Tommy Gemmell scores for Scotland from the penalty spot in a 8 - 0 victory against Cyprus in a World Cup qualifier at Hampden Park in May 1969.  No defenders bothering chasing in the penalty, must’ve known their keeper was shit  

That was my 2nd Scotland game.   The Rangers fans in the Scotland crowd booed when Gemmell took the penalty instead of Colin Stein.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'll wager my published half page about Cuminestown Juniors was more erudite than your pish about Celtic :P

I miss TAG.

Nothing about Celtic, I did a piece on Stirling Albion and the years from near bankruptcy in the mid 80's to the plastic pitch years, sale of Anfield and the move to Forthbank and a few issues later a piece on Eric Cantona and the juxtaposition of his Kung fu kick on the mad Crystal Palace racist guy and the likelihood of such an event in Scottish football at the time and likely protagonists. 

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Went to that game with my Arab mate, and that was a decent United side back then.  We were so impressed by Ferguson's buddies that we went to the Motherwell/St Mirren game in the next round of the cup (which Motherwell won 2-0 I think).  Ferguson had Paisley buzzing back then.

You must have been one of the few people there. I’ve heard there wasn’t much of an away support that day.

Just now, Flybhoy said:

Nothing about Celtic, I did a piece on Stirling Albion and the years from near bankruptcy in the mid 80's to the plastic pitch years, sale of Anfield and the move to Forthbank and a few issues later a piece on Eric Cantona and the juxtaposition of his Kung fu kick on the mad Crystal Palace racist guy and the likelihood of such an event in Scottish football at the time and likely protagonists. 

I might still have those issues somewhere..

After my Cuminestown article it was downhill all the way to mere hack work on the Edinburgh City programme...!

3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Remember that game. IIRC I think we won 5-0 in the away tie too. Can anyone imagine Scotland putting 13 goals past any team without reply in two WC qualifiers these days?

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Was reading once how Ian St John never forgave him for that day, saying after the game he went into the dressing room and Haffey was in the bath, singing away to himself. 

Denis Law played in that game, said it was the worst point of his career.

When we were beating England 2-0 in 67 he wanted to humiliate them in the same way he felt humiliated 6 years earlier.

He was raging with Baxter and Bremner for taking the piss instead of going for the jugular.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

The beginning of foreign players influxing Scottish football in the late 1980's as Dunfermline's Hungarian striker Istvan Kozma (who would be signed by Graeme Souness for Liverpool a couple of years later and be found to be woefully out of his depth) tussles with Poland and Celtic defender Dariusz Wdowczyk at East End Park. 

IMG_20210928_224258.jpg

I had a drink with Istvan Kozma in Budapest around 20 years ago. Lovely guy with a stunning missus.