A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

18 hours ago, Eednud said:

In 1921 an Inverness Caledonian/Thistle select defeated FA Cup holders Spurs 6-3. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-58542543

image.jpeg.e0d9102bec12708d501d2b67b033e2fd.jpeg

I read earlier that The Caledonian Hotel in Inverness (apparently now a Mercure) was the place where the penalty shootout was invented. 

24 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I read earlier that The Caledonian Hotel in Inverness (apparently now a Mercure) was the place where the penalty shootout was invented. 

In 1970 apparently.

On 18/09/2021 at 13:09, Buddie Holly said:

spot on bud.we had just pumped dundee utd 4-1 in the Scottish cup after giving them a goal of a start.the utd fans also took a hell of a doing that day.

we won the league by pumping dundee 4-0 at dens later in the season

Never red dot, but I was there, and never 'took a hell of a doing'. Nobody I know who was at the game was involved in serious bother. Some kids ran back and forward on the terrace, that was about it. 

Generally, it was a good day out.

On 21/09/2021 at 19:33, Sergeant Wilson said:

Indeed, I cut quite the dash in first year.

Chocolate brown for me, with Levi sta-prest trousers and 'Terry' shoes, although I steered clear of Arthur Black shirts and V-neck Fair Isle jumpers.  I actually knew a guy who took a Gloverall duffle coat with him on a holiday to Majorca.  

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Not sure but Bobby Evans was 32 in 1959, though could’ve been an overage player. 

These things always intrigue me. Alex Young wasn’t capped until 1960 so guess it was a get together for some of the pre 1958 World Cup trial games in the link below. There are further links to reports for most of these games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_results_(unofficial_matches)

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

These things always intrigue me. Alex Young wasn’t capped until 1960 so guess it was a get together for some of the pre 1958 World Cup trial games in the link below. There are further links to reports for most of these games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_results_(unofficial_matches)

You've got some instantly recognisable faces there: like Alex Young, Ian St John, Denis Law and John Cumming. However this would not appear to fit any B international or U23 international in 1958, 1959 or 1960... but it doesn't seem to fit any Scotland XI match either.

I wonder if it is actually 1960 and not 1959. They were all involved in Scotland v Scottish League at Ibrox in February; admittedly St John for the Scottish League but he might have been a swap for a late injury (annoyingly there's no programme to check). They all played in Scotland v England at Hampden in April. Bobby Evans doesn't seem to have featured in either, though!

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 25/09/2021 at 09:51, Lurkst said:

Looking at the YouTube ident it appears United had a midget in goals, no wonder Saints romped it.

Went to that game with my Arab mate, and that was a decent United side back then.  We were so impressed by Ferguson's buddies that we went to the Motherwell/St Mirren game in the next round of the cup (which Motherwell won 2-0 I think).  Ferguson had Paisley buzzing back then.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

You've got some instantly recognisable faces there: like Alex Young, Ian St John, Denis Law and John Cumming. However this would not appear to fit any B international or U23 international in 1958, 1959 or 1960... but it doesn't seem to fit any Scotland XI match either.

I wonder if it is actually 1960 and not 1959. They were all involved in Scotland v Scottish League at Ibrox in February; admittedly St John for the Scottish League but he might have been a swap for a late injury (annoyingly there's no programme to check). They all played in Scotland v England at Hampden in April. Bobby Evans doesn't seem to have featured in either, though!

Been trying to get names for them

Haffey, MacKay, Cummings, Caldow, McColl, Evans, McCann, Leggatt, Young, St John, Law, Weir. 12 names for 11 players, not bad eh. Trainer might be Johnny Hubbard. 

Edited by Drew Brees

Tommy Gemmell scores for Scotland from the penalty spot in a 8 - 0 victory against Cyprus in a World Cup qualifier at Hampden Park in May 1969.  No defenders bothering chasing in the penalty, must’ve known their keeper was shit  

8835657B-0450-4C2B-97B3-AA9E150B364F.jpeg

Edited by Drew Brees