A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Frank, before he became a caricature. 

FB_IMG_1628436250162.jpg

I remember watching a segment on football focus (I think) when they took him around London’s east end asking hammers fans if they knew who he was cause when he started with West Ham there was a Tv highlights blackout. Not many did.  

Edited by Drew Brees

43 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I remember watching a sequent on football focus (I think) when they took him around London’s east end asking hammers fans if they knew who he was cause when he started with West Ham there was a Tv highlights blackout. Not many did.  

He was also a guest on Wogan.

Denis Law was kind of sent on with him to guide him through an excruciating interview.  McAvennie just spent the whole time grinning inanely and scratching his face nervously.  

Jonathan Watson must have been in heaven watching it.

[Tony Cottee his deadly pal there]

In a previous employment in Kent I met a young lady whose surname was Cottee.

I (hilariously) asked if she was related to Tony.

"Yeah, he's my uncle" she said, which put my gas at a peep. To be honest, there was a bit of familial resemblance.

I remember watching a segment on football focus (I think) when they took him around London’s east end asking hammers fans if they knew who he was cause when he started with West Ham there was a Tv highlights blackout. Not many did.  

Never had an English team growing up. Was always influenced by them having Scottish players. So, always looked out for Liverpool, loved watching John Robertson at Forest, exceptional player. McAvennie was the same. Always looked forward to watching that West Ham team on MOTD.

Hardly watch it now.....

By the way, some great historical chat in here over last few days. Your a knowledgeable bunch [emoji106]been a good read.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He was also a guest on Wogan.

Denis Law was kind of sent on with him to guide him through an excruciating interview.  McAvennie just spent the whole time grinning inanely and scratching his face nervously.  

Jonathan Watson must have been in heaven watching it.

IIRC Sir Terence wrapped up the interview along the lines of...

"Glad you're enjoying life in London Frank, regards to all your family back up in St Mirren."

NINTCHDBPICT000001497339.jpg

5 hours ago, resk said:

It's important to not rush into things.  

On a serious note, you've also got to find someone to play.  When Sheffield FC started, the club rules expected members to buy one red shirt and one navy shirt, so they could divvy up into ad hoc teams to play each other.  There was no thought of it being a spectator sport or a team becoming a representative side.  So Killie may have spent their rugby years never playing any other rugby teams - just playing games amongst the membership. 

Plus one of the things I noticed was that Dumbreck had only ever played one game, a 1-0 defeat.  Just dipping their toe in competitive action before Queen's Park put them to the sword in 1873.

Guest TheJTS98
7 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Plus one of the things I noticed was that Dumbreck had only ever played one game, a 1-0 defeat.  Just dipping their toe in competitive action before Queen's Park put them to the sword in 1873.

Maybe they were playing 'winner stays on'.

Edited by TheJTS98

7 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Plus one of the things I noticed was that Dumbreck had only ever played one game, a 1-0 defeat.  Just dipping their toe in competitive action before Queen's Park put them to the sword in 1873

Dumbreck were the opposition for Queen's Park on 25 October 1873 for the first match played at Hampden Park.

12 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

On a serious note, you've also got to find someone to play.  When Sheffield FC started, the club rules expected members to buy one red shirt and one navy shirt, so they could divvy up into ad hoc teams to play each other.  There was no thought of it being a spectator sport or a team becoming a representative side.  So Killie may have spent their rugby years never playing any other rugby teams - just playing games amongst the membership. 

Allegedly, when Notts County were formed - and with no rivals to play - the competition comprised married members versus unmarried members. A format that might be worth reviving.

15 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

[Tony Cottee his deadly pal there]

In a previous employment in Kent I met a young lady whose surname was Cottee.

I (hilariously) asked if she was related to Tony.

"Yeah, he's my uncle" she said, which put my gas at a peep. To be honest, there was a bit of familial resemblance.

She was a scorer, too?

IMG_20210815_223942372.thumb.jpg.bb3b8310176c76a4069d03ff6c849b57.jpg

The Tartan Army in San Marino, 2000.

San Marino 0 Scotland 2 (Elliott, Hutchinson)

My one and only Scotland Men's away trip so far (I've seen the wimmen in Wales and Netherlands). I've looked up the team and found that the current Edinburgh City manager played in the game 

At half time I passed Kenny Miller who was still an u-21 player back then and was tempted to ask him the Dunbar United score. Why? Because his dad Jocky was the Dunbar manager at the time.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

IMG_20210815_223942372.thumb.jpg.bb3b8310176c76a4069d03ff6c849b57.jpg

The Tartan Army in San Marino, 2000.

San Marino 0 Scotland 2 (Elliott, Hutchinson)

My one and only Scotland Men's away trip so far (I've seen the wimmen in Wales and Netherlands). I've looked up the team and found that the current Edinburgh City manager played in the game 

At half time I passed Kenny Miller who was still an u-21 player back then and was tempted to ask him the Dunbar United score. Why? Because his dad Jocky was the Dunbar manager at the time.

Italy in September, fantastic we thought. Hotel on beach in Rimini, check. Swim shorts in bag, check. Suntan lotion packed, check. It was absolutely baltic at that game. 5 day trip and never on the beach once. Highlight of the week was phoning home on day 3 to hear the wife tell me that the Dee had signed some Argentinian that was causing a bit of a storm. I think his name is Caneeja or something like that. Locals confused at me dancing about in a phone box.