A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 03/08/2021 at 06:49, HibeeJibee said:

No bother.

Consulted:

Record of Post-War Scottish League Players (CD-ROM)     http://www.pmfc.co.uk/postwar.html

NASL a Complete Record of the North America Soccer League (book)     https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Record-American-Soccer-1989-08-25/dp/B01K3K48E0

plus

https://www.nasljerseys.com/Players/T/Thomson.Dave.htm

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/clyde/clyde.html

A RECORD OF POST-WAR SCOTTISH LEAGUE PLAYERS

VERSION 7 NOW AVAILABLE (1646-47 to 2017-18)

1646-47? Wow, Scottish football has a longer history than I thought....

Guest TheJTS98
3 hours ago, Myles Offside said:

A RECORD OF POST-WAR SCOTTISH LEAGUE PLAYERS

VERSION 7 NOW AVAILABLE (1646-47 to 2017-18)

1646-47? Wow, Scottish football has a longer history than I thought....

And just think, the league survived perfectly fine without any Old Firm games for the first 44 years.

So much for Armageddon.

Take that, Doncaster.

(I should have put the key:

1. year of foundation;

2. membership;

3. home ground;

4. nearest station;

5. changing facilities (in England, most of them seem to have been at a local pub);

6. code played;

7. club secretary;

8. colours;

9. results of matches;

10. goal difference.

5 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

A bit of prehistory - some of the Scottish teams from the Charles Alcock Football Annual for 1873.  The team at the top left is Callander.

Interesting that some teams wore a guernsey. That’s still used for Aussie Rules shirts.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Out of interest what do the asterixes beside Dalhousie, Dumfries, Glasgow University, Kinmount and Madris signify?

That the details were repeated from the previous year's edition, as none of them had sent in the form at the back of the book for inclusion in the 1873 edition.  So it's a warning that the data are possibly out of date.

One thing that stands out is rugby union was much the bigger code in England and Scotland - and the Sheffield code was probably bigger than association as well in England, certainly in the north (although association and Sheffield often went together, northern teams would switch to association when playing in the south, but very few switched between rugby and football).  There's the famous thing that Queen's Park didn't lose a match for about ten years but it becomes less impressive when you realize that for about half of that time they had about four games per season against external opposition.  It was partly QP's evangelism and partly the FA Cup that kickstarted association above rugby. 

And at the top right you can see Kilmarnock were still a rugby side then.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Were all of the Celtic players in their own half?

I assume they must’ve been. By the look of it the were in front of the jungle. 

Edited by Drew Brees

Found this about it. 

Match is infamous for that the referee allowed Rangers to kick-off fast after Celtic had scored and not allow Celtic to celebrate. Caused a bit of a stoosh. In truth It was quick thinking by Rangers players, and it could have been avoided if one Celtic player had kept one foot in the opposition half. Wasn't really worth a hoo-haa.

Andy Payton (2019) "Yes I got the winner & yes this actually happened one of the most bizarre decisions I’ve ever seen on a football pitch, at least 6 players were celebrating in front of the jungle when the referee allowed Rangers to kick off . 

it ended a 45 game unbeaten run for rangers so you see their sense ot urgency  

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Found this about it. 

Match is infamous for that the referee allowed Rangers to kick-off fast after Celtic had scored and not allow Celtic to celebrate. Caused a bit of a stoosh. In truth It was quick thinking by Rangers players, and it could have been avoided if one Celtic player had kept one foot in the opposition half. Wasn't really worth a hoo-haa.

Andy Payton (2019) "Yes I got the winner & yes this actually happened one of the most bizarre decisions I’ve ever seen on a football pitch, at least 6 players were celebrating in front of the jungle when the referee allowed Rangers to kick off . 

it ended a 45 game unbeaten run for rangers so you see their sense ot urgency  

"Bizarre decision" = ref doing his job.  Aye right enough Andy. 

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I kinda wish Rangers had scored.  

Just now, resk said:

"Bizarre decision" = ref doing his job.  Aye right enough Andy. 

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I kinda wish Rangers had scored.  

But they didn't.  Traditionally the sporting thing is let both sides line up - maybe he was peeved with something or just wanted to be the hero of the day.

I wonder if there is another occasion this happened?

1 minute ago, Eder said:

But they didn't.  Traditionally the sporting thing is let both sides line up - maybe he was peeved with something or just wanted to be the hero of the day.

I wonder if there is another occasion this happened?

When does a team ever celebrate a goal in their own half?  The ref restarts the play when both teams are in their own halves.  The Celtic players fucked up, and the ref did the right thing.