A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

55 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is it Gallacher or Gallagher? What's the difference? Is one the Irish version and the other the Scots variant?

I think ex-St Mirren striker Brian Gallacher (or Gallagher) who scored a hat-trick against Hammarby was Kevin's cousin, and thus both related to Patsy, but yet here below is the two different variants from the same publisher (Panini) with different variants.

Brian_Gallagher.jpg.bda1443b177e7801eb6b77ddc794aaec.jpg

Panini-Football-1987-Sticker-No-500.jpg.882de37245ff13c6d7ce8c3c15ae1cce.jpg

One of the Celtic sites go into translations of Irish/Gaelic versions to Gallagher/Gallacher and discusses this very point. I recall reading elsewhere, nonetheless, that when the Gallagher/Gallacher family arrived from Ireland with Patsy as an infant, the spelling on documentation for their house, or perhaps the name stuck on the door of their new Clydebank home, used 'Gallacher'.

Brian's dad, ex footballer and journalist Tommy, used Gallacher as his surname spelling, and I reckon the Panini sticker simply got it wrong.

7 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Brian's dad, ex footballer and journalist Tommy, used Gallacher as his surname spelling, and I reckon the Panini sticker simply got it wrong.

I wondered how reliable the Panini spelling was too.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

ex footballer and journalist Tommy, used Gallacher

That’s just reminded me I met Tommy Gallacher a few times way back when. Ross’s Bar on the corner of  Arbroath Road and Baffin Street, Dundee was a favourite haunt of one my uncles and unless I’m imagining thing Tommy Gallacher used to there often with his old Dundee team mate, Pud Hill. 

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Actually, however you spell his name, a hat-trick against decent opponents away from is not to be sniffed at...

Here's him NOT scoring in Stockholm

Hammarby.thumb.jpg.3d7aeddd79e6613e532870ba83b26c3f.jpg

Here's his HT away to Hammarby

Edited by Arch Stanton

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

One of the Celtic sites go into translations of Irish/Gaelic versions to Gallagher/Gallacher and discusses this very point. I recall reading elsewhere, nonetheless, that when the Gallagher/Gallacher family arrived from Ireland with Patsy as an infant, the spelling on documentation for their house, or perhaps the name stuck on the door of their new Clydebank home, used 'Gallacher'.

He was Gallacher when he played for Dumbarton 

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I reckon the Panini sticker simply got it wrong.

You could be onto something, they've got Iain Ferguson as Ian Ferguson too!*

Although, you would've hoped that the St Mirren programme editor would've got to grips with his name ..

*Perhaps Ferguson was using a pseudonym and attempting to grow that ridiculous mouser in an attempt to confuse the Dundee fans that it wasn't their ex-player that had crossed the road...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I think immigrants especially Gaelic speakers were at the mercy of the registrar on the day to decide how their name was spelt.

Some people were given the name Ireland because the form filler couldn't understand them.

The thing is, Gallagher (pronounced with a silent "g")* is the variation seen in Ireland. Gallacher is rarely, if at all seen AFAIK. 

*So is Callaghan, by the way. 

Edited by Piquet

27 minutes ago, Piquet said:

The thing is, Gallagher (pronounced with a silent "g")* is the variation seen in Ireland. Gallacher is rarely, if at all seen AFAIK. 

*So is Callaghan, by the way. 

Now I'm going to have to find an old photo of Ralph CallaChan...

ut0PVW-pkOh5Cj-nHA1I2w75425

Killie's title winning skipper Frank Beattie takes to the field at Rugby Park before his testimonial in May 1971. 

The well wishing ended there with Celtic thumping a Kilmarnock XI 7-2. Particularly uncharitable was the young #9 by the name of Dalglish, who scored a double hat-trick. 

On 15/07/2021 at 21:43, Dundee Hibernian said:

Patsy Gallacher, the Mighty Atom, wearing the jersey of Ireland (the island), although he also turned out for Scotland, the Irish Free State, and went on tour with the 'Scottish FA' to Canada, games which weren't regarded as full international matches.

735420789_PatsyGallacher.thumb.jpg.2f3a1701de24a7b99c43272db14f92fd.jpg

A rumour of his time at Celtic was that he was 'retired' to save on his extravagantly high wages, and he went on to play six more seasons at Falkirk. 

That may have been the case, but he was 34 when he left Celtic, and in his early forties when he eventually did retire. Between his long spells at Parkhead and Brockville, he made appearances for New Bedford Whalers in the USA. Finally, he also pulled on the blue of Rangers to take part in a benefit match for Andy Cunningham, in 1922 against Newcastle United.

It's Gallagher according to his signature... (Apologies for the repeat - I posted this a long time back...

1939 _SFA Touring Team.jpg

Edited by House Bartender

10 hours ago, House Bartender said:

It's Gallagher according to his signature... (Apologies for the repeat - I posted this a long time back...

1939 _SFA Touring Team.jpg

Cheers for that, but the tour Patsy took part in was in the 'twenties. he'd have been in his late 'forties by 1939. Unsure which 'Gallagher' that is, but interested to see Bobby Bolt, listed by the SFA as a Falkirk player, claiming to be with Rangers, who I think he signed for after the tour.

55 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Cheers for that, but the tour Patsy took part in was in the 'twenties. he'd have been in his late 'forties by 1939. Unsure which 'Gallagher' that is, but interested to see Bobby Bolt, listed by the SFA as a Falkirk player, claiming to be with Rangers, who I think he signed for after the tour.

Did some googling and the signature is WG Gallagher (Waverley) of the Daily Record. Mentioned in first topic of this link, although not related to the tour.

http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690

Edited by Eednud

On 16/07/2021 at 12:11, Eednud said:

That’s just reminded me I met Tommy Gallacher a few times way back when. Ross’s Bar on the corner of  Arbroath Road and Baffin Street, Dundee was a favourite haunt of one my uncles and unless I’m imagining thing Tommy Gallacher used to there often with his old Dundee team mate, Pud Hill. 

No you are spot on Eednud, Pud Hill lived not far from Ross's and drunk in there often. Tommy Gallacher was in my opinion the greatest sports journalist to work for DC Thomson and one of the very best in Scotland. 

On 10/07/2021 at 14:11, johan scott said:

QP and Thirds. As close as Dundee and United?

I'm bored so I measured it on Google Earth.

Centre circle to centre circle - QP/Third Lanark 0.47kms.  Dundee/Dundee Utd 0.28 kms.

I mentioned Ralph Callachan (with a C and not a G) above. He played for Hearts, Hibs, Meadowbank Thistle, Newcastle and Berwick. I couldn't find a picture of him in a Thistle shirt but here is him in his Hearts and Hibs days

1669892330_ralphcallachanhearts.jpg.9ad3b079ef4db537288f4b25ad52c470.jpg

155936734_ralphcallachanhibs.jpg.a8b8dc0556a65d642222b81041a5eceb.jpg

45 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The Old Firm unite to unveil a floral display at Rugby Park and also launch a campaign promoting the slaughter of rare sea birds or something...

scanned-35mm-ally-mccoist-paul-mcstay-at

The floral arrangement looks like the kind of wreath you see at gangster funerals. Is there someone buried under those bricks?

On 30/05/2021 at 09:06, Drew Brees said:

the New York Giants v Celtic  at the Polo Grounds at Coogans Hollow N.Y 1931

9EA5A73F-7AA7-4BC3-B799-CF2C8D49B686.jpeg

This photo led me down an internet rabbit hole about that stadium and everything related to it. Scotland played here in 1935 and twice in 1939. Third Lanark beat Birmingham City 4-1 here in 1960 and later than year Bangu of Brazil beat Kilmarnock 2-0.

The stadium looks to have been an amazing place under a bluff at the north end of Manhattan, just by the East River, and so much sporting history took place there. So quirky was its layout that the exit for fans in the main stands was across the pitch!

Every time I come on this thread it takes at least 2 hours of my life. It's fantastic. I'm amazed that people keep finding and posting such great photos. 

Edited by GordonS

43 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This photo led me down an internet rabbit hole about that stadium and everything related to it. Scotland played here in 1935 and twice in 1939. Third Lanark beat Birmingham City 4-1 here in 1960 and later than year Bangu of Brazil beat Kilmarnock 2-0.

The stadium looks to have been an amazing place under a bluff at the north end of Manhatten, just by the East River, and so much sporting history took place there. So quirky was its layout that the exit for fans in the main stands was across the pitch!

Every time I come on this thread it takes at least 2 hours of my life. It's fantastic. I'm amazed that people keep finding and posting such great photos. 

Final of the International Soccer League.

Bangu toured Europe the following year and played Kilmarnock at Rugby Park as well as Crystal Palace, Everton and Sunderland.
BanguBrazil-Kilmarnock-nodate-L.jpg