A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

Also, provided Holland beat Ireland then Scotland would go through. 

Ireland's equaliser in that game would make you weep 

and then once the news came over that England had gone ahead, Gullitt and McCarthy had a brief chat, and the rest of the game was "after you Ruud.....  not at all, Mick, after you" 

On 05/07/2021 at 13:01, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was there. An absolute nightmare.

Got sold a pup by booking a coach trip laid on by Tartan Army con man John Grigor. About 3 days to get there. Accommodation supposedly 2 hours from venue, he missed out a 1 at the start of that. Attended all 3 games in the same circumstances and must've spent more than half of a 16 day holiday on a bus.

There was an alcohol ban in Genoa and Turin, but you could drink if eating or if an Italian con man let you in his pub. Invariably this meant his cousin would watch for the approaching police and call for you to finish your drinks, before shouting they had passed by and we could re-order...you get the picture.

I've had ordinary guns pointed at me, hit with batons and been detained, but the machine gun the Italian copper used to persuade me to leave a pub was particularly convincing. It was the opening gambit, not an excuse me or anything. Just a tap on the shoulder, look round in to the barrell.... "Aye, fair enough, I'm going"!

I don't know if we were on the same bus. but I a had the same package and schedule. We were on the same bus but in a different hotel to the United/dee contingent. They were eventually thrown out of the hotel after several warnings. The final straw being drag racing mopeds along the hotel corridor. For the Costa Rica game we topped up enough cola bottles based on a trip to Blackpool and back. That was tanned when we were only half way there. So some one passed round the joints, you could smoke on a bus then so it was fine. The Police got on the bus at a toll outside Genoa looking for drink, it was well gone but they didn't seem bothered by the cloud of hash they were disappearing into.. The journey after the game was the worst 6 hours of my life. Beaten by Costa Rica, no drink, toilets backed up and the hangover from hell already kicking in.

On 07/07/2021 at 12:28, tamba_trio said:

Also, provided Holland beat Ireland then Scotland would go through. 

Ireland's equaliser in that game would make you weep 

Harry Kane esque

3 hours ago, thisal said:

I don't know if we were on the same bus. but I a had the same package and schedule. We were on the same bus but in a different hotel to the United/dee contingent. They were eventually thrown out of the hotel after several warnings. The final straw being drag racing mopeds along the hotel corridor. For the Costa Rica game we topped up enough cola bottles based on a trip to Blackpool and back. That was tanned when we were only half way there. So some one passed round the joints, you could smoke on a bus then so it was fine. The Police got on the bus at a toll outside Genoa looking for drink, it was well gone but they didn't seem bothered by the cloud of hash they were disappearing into.. The journey after the game was the worst 6 hours of my life. Beaten by Costa Rica, no drink, toilets backed up and the hangover from hell already kicking in.

He definitely ran a few buses and I remember at least one Thistle supporter on mine. I was with my ex-wife. (I knew how to show her a good time !). I also remember the police being in the bus, but I suppose they went on them all.

The tour guide at our digs in Cattolica was furious when I pointed out she was from Airdrie and her Dad had a chip shop, rather than the more stylish Italian image she was trying on.

A wee sign at the site of the Ormiston railway station commenting on the football special which took spectators in from Lochore for a cup tie against Ormiston Primrose. Those were the days, special trains to very random football ties.

Station closed in 1965, platform now used for allotments, if you're remotely interested.

Ormiston Primrose have also been away for a good few years now. IMG_20210620_141437.jpeg.4d9366b69f8232623c60106cd457cea0.jpegIMG_20210620_113353.jpeg.f256ca18a8d8385a3d8542c1749fac88.jpeg
I love the football special railway posters. Originals in decent condition are like hens teeth and sell for big money.

Grigor still does his trips. A couple of my mates were on his bus in 1998 , and i think their experience was pretty much the same as yours.
I once hitched a lift from the airport into Warsaw city centre on his bus, but I think that's as far as I would go with Grigor Travel. 
There were 5 of us on the Brazil trip 1998. Absolute shambles from start to finish. Buses left from the St Andrew's hotel in Ayr....about 4 hours after the scheduled time and that set the tone. Accommodation was a formula 1 motel by a motorway about 40 miles from Paris. Bus back something happened with the drivers and they did it from Dover without stopping which was a nightmare.

Ah the '90 world cup.  I was 15 turning 16 on the 20th June, the Brazil game.

My friend at high school at the time won 3 tickets to the said Brazil game, which I thought I was going to be one of the 3 his dad being the other.  He ended up taking his 7 yo sister.  Never forgave him.

Onto the Brazil game and my birthday, I was at a house party and had a few to drinks and spewed my load out the front garden.  Problem was I had just eaten some supernoodles and they got stuck in my throat on the way back up, thought I was going to die.

16 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He definitely ran a few buses and I remember at least one Thistle supporter on mine. I was with my ex-wife. (I knew how to show her a good time !). I also remember the police being in the bus, but I suppose they went on them all.

The tour guide at our digs in Cattolica was furious when I pointed out she was from Airdrie and her Dad had a chip shop, rather than the more stylish Italian image she was trying on.

Yes. 4 of us travelled 2 Thistle and 2 lapsed Rangers fans.  There was also a good few Motherwell  boys there as well. The bloke on the bus that organised things was also a Thistle fan that knew Grigor from previous Scotland away games. Felt sorry for him he was getting belters about the lack of Brazil tickets. Someone on one of the busses bought what he thought was 4 Brazil tickets from a Swede at a service station. Turned out it was a Brazil ticket with 3 Sweden Costa Rica tickets.

I remember an Airdrie chap with his missus. Some  people will do anything to get the table seat on the bus.

2 hours ago, thisal said:

Yes. 4 of us travelled 2 Thistle and 2 lapsed Rangers fans.  There was also a good few Motherwell  boys there as well. The bloke on the bus that organised things was also a Thistle fan that knew Grigor from previous Scotland away games. Felt sorry for him he was getting belters about the lack of Brazil tickets. Someone on one of the busses bought what he thought was 4 Brazil tickets from a Swede at a service station. Turned out it was a Brazil ticket with 3 Sweden Costa Rica tickets.

I remember an Airdrie chap with his missus. Some  people will do anything to get the table seat on the bus.

Looks like we've met. I look exactly the same as I did in 1990. Except for my hair, weight and a different wife.

On 09/07/2021 at 09:11, Black Pennel said:

Did you die though ?...or did you just think about it ?

We've all been there.

No, I didn't die, but I was choking like f**k and someone had to stick their fingers down my throat to dislodge the noodles. Pulled them out my throat as to say.

On 02/07/2021 at 16:32, Dylangt7 said:

was bored at work and wondered why it was a Monday night...as with most internet searches, i got bored and ended up down a different path...anway..

what I did find was this match report. I've never seen teams listed like that before Haffey, Mackay and Kennedy...McNeill and Price . Anyone care to explaing the formation / positions?

jgl5X4zxaSrcQrUrdikQ-A314137

I wish papers these days would name the players most susceptible to simulation.