A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

The whole reason we got there was the Johnston/McCoist partnership firing in goals left and right.
Cue the team news and Alan McInally coming in.  Even the 12 year old me was like 'WTF.....this is a bad call'.
Amazing the amount of players over the years, that were great for their club and absolutely shite for Scotland. Archibald and Sharpe to name 2

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was there. An absolute nightmare.

Got sold a pup by booking a coach trip laid on by Tartan Army con man John Grigor. About 3 days to get there. Accommodation supposedly 2 hours from venue, he missed out a 1 at the start of that. Attended all 3 games in the same circumstances and must've spent more than half of a 16 day holiday on a bus.

There was an alcohol ban in Genoa and Turin, but you could drink if eating or if an Italian con man let you in his pub. Invariably this meant his cousin would watch for the approaching police and call for you to finish your drinks, before shouting they had passed by and we could re-order...you get the picture.

I've had ordinary guns pointed at me, hit with batons and been detained, but the machine gun the Italian copper used to persuade me to leave a pub was particularly convincing. It was the opening gambit, not an excuse me or anything. Just a tap on the shoulder, look round in to the barrell.... "Aye, fair enough, I'm going"!

Grigor still does his trips. A couple of my mates were on his bus in 1998 , and i think their experience was pretty much the same as yours.

I once hitched a lift from the airport into Warsaw city centre on his bus, but I think that's as far as I would go with Grigor Travel. 

2 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Grigor still does his trips. A couple of my mates were on his bus in 1998 , and i think their experience was pretty much the same as yours.

I once hitched a lift from the airport into Warsaw city centre on his bus, but I think that's as far as I would go with Grigor Travel. 

There was a crowd of Dundee United supporters on my bus who would have stolen the eyes out your head, but they were willing to share from every shop they ransacked on the way there and back. That helped keep the costs down. There was some shenanigans from Grigor looking for more money than he'd already charged for tickets for the Brazil game. The issue was resolved by one of the United guys nutting him.

The bus had left from Aberdeen, via Dundee. I got on at George Square and the contents of the toilet were coming to meet me then...only 3 days to go!

I bumped in to Michael Forsyth after the Costa Rica game.

I was there. An absolute nightmare.
Got sold a pup by booking a coach trip laid on by Tartan Army con man John Grigor. About 3 days to get there. Accommodation supposedly 2 hours from venue, he missed out a 1 at the start of that. Attended all 3 games in the same circumstances and must've spent more than half of a 16 day holiday on a bus.
There was an alcohol ban in Genoa and Turin, but you could drink if eating or if an Italian con man let you in his pub. Invariably this meant his cousin would watch for the approaching police and call for you to finish your drinks, before shouting they had passed by and we could re-order...you get the picture.
I've had ordinary guns pointed at me, hit with batons and been detained, but the machine gun the Italian copper used to persuade me to leave a pub was particularly convincing. It was the opening gambit, not an excuse me or anything. Just a tap on the shoulder, look round in to the barrell.... "Aye, fair enough, I'm going"!

I had similar but it was through AT Mays. The bus left from Glasgow on Saturday night (the Costa Rica match was on Monday) I was staying in London at the time but they wouldn’t do any pick ups on the way so I had to get the train up to Glasgow to get the bus back south. In the first 24 hours I had only actually traveled about 50 miles from where I was living.
We arrived in Genoa early Monday morning,I think it was a 5pm KO and the city was dry.
The accommodation was in Rimini on the other side of Italy and we didn’t get there till the Tuesday morning.
Other than that I had a great time and the Sweden game was one of the best atmospheres at any match I have been at.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The whole reason we got there was the Johnston/McCoist partnership firing in goals left and right.

Cue the team news and Alan McInally coming in.  Even the 12 year old me was like 'WTF.....this is a bad call'.

Interesting bit in the interview Roxburgh gave to Chick Young a couple of weeks back where he touches upon some of his more controversial Scotland line-ups. Was more the manner in which he said it than what was said, but he was quite strident that in almost every case where he's been questioned over a seemingly bizarre omission it was down to the fact that his squad was meeting at the end of a league season, and the players in question weren't anywhere near as fit or healthy as the standard he deemed necessary. He also pointedly brought up the fact that this is never acknowledged by the public when they bring these things up with him. 

8 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:
9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Amazing the amount of players over the years, that were great for their club and absolutely shite for Scotland. Archibald and Sharpe to name 2

Graeme Sharp, 

David Speedie,

Brian McClair.

Alan McInally.

Gordon Durie.

The total caps count, compared to the goal return is noticeable.

17 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Graeme Sharp, 

David Speedie,

Brian McClair.

Alan McInally.

Gordon Durie.

The total caps count, compared to the goal return is noticeable.

You could add Frank McAvennie (5/1), Charlie Nicholas (20/5), Steve Archibald (27/4), Robert Fleck (4/0), John Spencer (14/0), Frank McGarvey (7/0) and Paul Sturrock (20/3)

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

There was a crowd of Dundee United supporters on my bus who would have stolen the eyes out your head, but they were willing to share from every shop they ransacked on the way there and back. That helped keep the costs down. There was some shenanigans from Grigor looking for more money than he'd already charged for tickets for the Brazil game. The issue was resolved by one of the United guys nutting him.
The bus had left from Aberdeen, via Dundee. I got on at George Square and the contents of the toilet were coming to meet me then...only 3 days to go!
I had my photo taken with Fish from Marillion before the game. Other than that, my trip was nowhere as eventful as yours - my parents were going on holiday to the Nice area so I tagged along and milked the bank of mum and dad. Genoa was roasting, it was chucking it down in Milan and we didn't make the Sweden game (the only game we won).

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Flymo got into trouble in the papers for reported shenanigans drinking with notorious bone idle shagbag Jim Bett at World Cup 1990.

Anyway a few weeks later a chap who looked like Mo turned up to a sparsely attended Meadowbank pre season friendly and one of the Thistle fans phoned the Daily Record and got ten quid for the story that Mo Johnston was watching Meadowbank!

McCoist only scored twice in the qualifiers.

You could add Frank McAvennie (5/1), Charlie Nicholas (20/5), Steve Archibald (27/4), Robert Fleck (4/0), John Spencer (14/0), Frank McGarvey (7/0) and Paul Sturrock (20/3)
5 in 20 isn't bad for cocaine charlie, surely? (unless he scored a hat-trick against some minnows)

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I had my photo taken with Fish from Marillion before the game. Other than that, my trip was nowhere as eventful as yours - my parents were going on holiday to the Nice area so I tagged along and milked the bank of mum and dad. Genoa was roasting, it was chucking it down in Milan and we didn't make the Sweden game (the only game we won).

I thought it was Turin. I wouldn't swear to it though.

I laboured under the illusion for 40 years I had been to Wrexham for a Scotland game. I only found out this summer it was Cardiff.

49 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I thought it was Turin. I wouldn't swear to it though.

It was most definitely Turin. Another hard luck story. The spill by Leighton and the cute finish crushed our hopes. Not sure it was a great idea having Leighton in goals as he was scarred by his FA cup experience by being dropped by Fergie.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

5 in 20 isn't bad for cocaine charlie, surely? (unless he scored a hat-trick against some minnows)

Better than some but I don't think 1 in 4 is that great for a striker.

I think it's a bit hard on Fleck only 4 caps perhaps id excuse that,

Nicholas probably more of a creator than a goalscorer in the era when Dalglish, Archibald, Johnston,  and probably Brazil were ahead of Charlie in the pecking order,

Notably Mark McGhee had a 50 % scoring record, 4 caps and scored on his debut and last appearance for the national side, 

I was always a Sturrock fan.

Archibald and Spencer should have far better records

Edited by Willie adie

On 03/07/2021 at 22:05, HibeeJibee said:

Monday was a common day for midweek games in decades after WWII anyway.

The Rangers programme against Ayr United on 19th September 1959 (which Ayr won 3-0, by the way), has the following snippet - " on the Monday - September 28 at 3 pm to be precise - we encounter them (Partick Thistle) in the Glasgow Cup Final at Hampden. This is the Glasgow Autumn Holiday."

And here's another Monday match

Image 01 - Hibs V Morton League Cup Semi final replay programme 1963 

And the 1960/61 Glasgow Cup Final, also on a Monday - $_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

ETA: Presumably this was also the Glasgow Autumn Holiday

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

On 05/07/2021 at 07:40, Bogbrush1903 said:

Unrelated to domestic league and cup calendar but since it's the Monday club, I remember coming home from school one summer's Monday afternoon in 1990 to watch this horror show delivered by a Costa Rican called Juan Cayasso...

Juan-Cayasso-v-Scotland.jpg.07bc810c481cceb3d5733066161952b3.jpg

I was there too. 

Gough, McLeish, McPherson and Aitken all starting seems crazy to me. Particularly Aitken, as he'd left Celtic by this point and I don't really understand why he was still a regular in the Scotland midfield. 

Having said that, Mo Johnston missed a sitter in this game. And, he continued his SMASH THE BALL STRAIGHT AT THE KEEPER technique in the last minute against Brazil, which was equally costly. And there were about 3 results in other games which went against us too. We really should have got out the group stages that year.