A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

16 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

It was Frank Mcavennie revealed it on sportsound a few weeks back that Souness had told him he new Ferguson was going to to it

Perhaps you shouldn't have stated it as fact at the top of the page if that was the quality of your source.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why did he pick him for the first two games then, given that Souness had taken the Rangers job back in the April?

Saw an interview with Souness recently talking about this, a bit of a myth that Ferguson dropped him for the Uruguay match, GS told how a combination of a stomach bug and the heat and altitude of the playing conditions in the first two matches saw him lose a stone in weight across both matches and, by his own admission contribute next to nothing... he said to Ferguson after the West Germany game he was toiling and didn't feel he had 90 minutes in him for Uruguay. 

You do wonder aloud though how much of a difference he would have made against what was, essentially a team of animals, although the flip side of that coin is that there is a fair possibility he would have been sent off. 

On 02/07/2021 at 18:26, Jacksgranda said:

It was rearranged from December when it was postponed due to weather and at that stage of the season a Saturday date was out of the question. The semi finals of the Scottish Cup were on the 13th of April, and as Celtic were playing in that (against Raith Rovers) it was probably arranged for the Monday to give them an extra couple of days to recover for the semi final.

On 02/07/2021 at 16:12, Northboy said:

Monday night football before Sky!

Monday was a common day for midweek games in decades after WWII anyway.

They didn't seem bothered for having 2/3 clear days between games like nowadays.

Not sure why. Get it out the way? Closer to fans payday the previous Friday?

To give some random midweek examples:

* Partick and Morton both made their home European debuts on Mondays during mid-1960s

* numerous Scottish Cup replays were on Mondays

* more Scottish clubs seem to have opened their floodlights on Mondays than any other night

* Monday night was the most common night used in the Anglo-Scottish Floodlight League of the mid-1950s

It was even more common down south: there'd be numerous matches in England on Monday nights during 1960s - sometimes more than on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

They didn't seem bothered for having 2/3 clear days between games like nowadays.

* Partick and Morton both made their home European debuts on Mondays during mid-1960s

* more Scottish clubs seem to have opened their floodlights on Mondays than any other night

* Monday night was the most common night used in the Anglo-Scottish Floodlight League of the mid-1950s

It was even more common down south: there'd be numerous matches in England on Monday nights during 1960s - sometimes more than on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

HJ is the proverbial mine of information.

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Image 1 - 1956/7 LEEDS UNITED v CELTIC (FLOODLIT FRIENDLY)

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

HJ is the proverbial mine of information.

5ajbeWB.gif

I'd noticed phenomenon before.

You also find unusual numbers of league games/local cup-ties on autumn Monday afternoons in 1920s & 30s - they were local holidays and of course pre-floodlights.

4d58df00725cc51fe83b3e262a409bd5.jpg

third-lanark-v-blackpool-195960-opening-

1961-62-Stirling-Albion-v-Birmingham-Cit     s-l300.jpg

Can't find good images online: but Hibs and Hearts opened v each other on Mondays in 1954 and 1957... East Fife v Leeds in 1955... Dunfermline v Sheffield Utd in 1959... Cowdenbeath v Celtic in 1966... etc. etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

You also find unusual numbers of league games/local cup-ties on autumn Monday afternoons in 1920s & 30s - they were local holidays and of course pre-floodlights.

Just to pick Raith Rovers as an example because I knew their history book shows the days of the week. This doesn't include holidays games at Christmas or New Year:

1919     Mon 6 Oct       Raith v Clyde (SFL)
1920     Mon 5 Apr       Raith v Lochgelly (Weymss Cup)
1920     Mon 26 Apr     Albion Rovers v Raith (SFL)

1920     Mon 16 Aug     Albion Rovers v Raith (SFL)
1920     Mon 20 Sep     Dunfermline v Raith (Penman Cup)
1920     Mon 4 Oct        Raith v Queen's Park (SFL)
1921     Mon 4 Apr        Raith v Middlesbrough (friendly)
1921     Mon 18 Apr      Hearts v Raith (Dunedin Cup)

1921     Mon 15 Aug     Celtic v Raith (SFL)
1921     Mon 5 Sep        Albion Rovers v Raith (SFL)
1921     Mon 19 Sep     Airdrie v Raith (SFL)
1921     Mon 3 Oct         Raith v Bradford City (friendly)
1921     Mon 3 Apr         Raith v Rangers (SFL)
1922     Mon 10 Apr       Hibs v Raith (Dunedin Cup)

1923     Mon 2 Apr           Raith v Hibs (SFL)
1923     Mon 16 Apr         Hibs v Raith (Dunedin Cup)
1923     Mon 30 Apr         Cowdenbeath v Raith (Fife Cup)

and so it continues each season.

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

In 1998 Edinburgh City won a Monday Scottish Cup replay against the Shire.

I don't remember any Monday games after that apart from when the Juniors were trying to get their season finished!

They still happens. Didn't you play Forfar and Brechin on Mondays at Meadowbank?

It's because after 2 attempts you have to retry twice-per-midweek e.g. Monday+Wednesday.

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Unrelated to domestic league and cup calendar but since it's the Monday club, I remember coming home from school one summer's Monday afternoon in 1990 to watch this horror show delivered by a Costa Rican called Juan Cayasso...

Juan-Cayasso-v-Scotland.jpg.07bc810c481cceb3d5733066161952b3.jpg

I either took a half day or was on holidays, think it must have been a half day. What a waste of a half day...

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Unrelated to domestic league and cup calendar but since it's the Monday club, I remember coming home from school one summer's Monday afternoon in 1990 to watch this horror show delivered by a Costa Rican called Juan Cayasso...

never noticed before but it looks like some fans just watched from what i assume was the stairwell. 

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I either took a half day or was on holidays, think it must have been a half day. What a waste of a half day...

I was there. An absolute nightmare.

Got sold a pup by booking a coach trip laid on by Tartan Army con man John Grigor. About 3 days to get there. Accommodation supposedly 2 hours from venue, he missed out a 1 at the start of that. Attended all 3 games in the same circumstances and must've spent more than half of a 16 day holiday on a bus.

There was an alcohol ban in Genoa and Turin, but you could drink if eating or if an Italian con man let you in his pub. Invariably this meant his cousin would watch for the approaching police and call for you to finish your drinks, before shouting they had passed by and we could re-order...you get the picture.

I've had ordinary guns pointed at me, hit with batons and been detained, but the machine gun the Italian copper used to persuade me to leave a pub was particularly convincing. It was the opening gambit, not an excuse me or anything. Just a tap on the shoulder, look round in to the barrell.... "Aye, fair enough, I'm going"!

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was there. An absolute nightmare.

Got sold a pup by booking a coach trip laid on by Tartan Army con man John Grigor. About 3 days to get there. Accommodation supposedly 2 hours from venue, he missed out a 1 at the start of that. Attended all 3 games in the same circumstances and must've spent more than half of a 16 day holiday on a bus.

There was an alcohol ban in Genoa and Turin, but you could drink if eating or if an Italian con man let you in his pub. Invariably this meant his cousin would watch for the approaching police and call for you to finish your drinks, before shouting they had passed by and we could re-order...you get the picture.

I've had ordinary guns pointed at me, hit with batons and been detained, but the machine gun the Italian copper used to persuade me to leave a pub was particularly convincing. It was the opening gambit, not an excuse me or anything. Just a tap on the shoulder, look round in to the barrell.... "Aye, fair enough, I'm going"!

But apart from that...

12 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The whole reason we got there was the Johnston/McCoist partnership firing in goals left and right.

Cue the team news and Alan McInally coming in.  Even the 12 year old me was like 'WTF.....this is a bad call'.

The whole reason we got there was the Johnston/McCoist partnership firing in goals left and right.
Cue the team news and Alan McInally coming in.  Even the 12 year old me was like 'WTF.....this is a bad call'.
Amazing the amount of players over the years, that were great for their club and absolutely shite for Scotland. Archibald and Sharpe to name 2