A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Yes, Souness could play it either way. 

I remember in, I think, '84, against Everton in the League Cup Final and replay. 

The first day, he kicked everything that moved ( and other things until they moved) and the second day, he gave an exhibition. Putting his foot on the ball  or spraying it around as necessary, he played Everton off the park. 

Truly  Jekyll and Hyde (and sometimes in the same game.)

Yes, Souness could play it either way. 
I remember in, I think, '84, against Everton in the League Cup Final and replay. 
The first day, he kicked everything that moved ( and other things until they moved) and the second day, he gave an exhibition. Putting his foot on the ball  or spraying it around as necessary, he played Everton off the park. 
Truly  Jekyll and Hyde (and sometimes in the same game.)

In his autobiography he tells the story of a European cup game where a guy threatens him so he broke his leg and then in the tunnel before the second leg someone else told him he was getting it as revenge. He broke his ankle. All in between running the games.

15 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

In his autobiography he tells the story of a European cup game where a guy threatens him so he broke his leg and then in the tunnel before the second leg someone else told him he was getting it as revenge. He broke his ankle. All in between running the games.

He certainly broke the jaw of Dinamo Bucharest captain Lica Movila with a punch. He was a cowardly thug throughout his career.

On 26/06/2021 at 20:23, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Souness was an absolute thug, but at least when wearing the dark blue he was OUR thug.

Wish we had him on the pitch against Uruguay in 86, yet another example of Ferguson cutting off his nose to spite his face, 

Souness told players Ferguson told him he would be dropped for the game  because Souness had  taken the Rangers manager job

On 28/06/2021 at 17:50, Willie adie said:

Wish we had him on the pitch against Uruguay in 86, yet another example of Ferguson cutting off his nose to spite his face, 

Souness told players Ferguson told him he would be dropped for the game  because Souness had  taken the Rangers manager job

Why did he pick him for the first two games then, given that Souness had taken the Rangers job back in the April?

Image 1 - Glasgow Cup Final Celtic v Third Lanark Football Programme 08/04/1963Cover of the programme for the Glasgow Cup Final 1963, which Third Lanark won 2-1, to lift the Cup for the fourth - and last - time. 4 years later Thirds went bust and Celtic won the European Cup.

53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Image 1 - Glasgow Cup Final Celtic v Third Lanark Football Programme 08/04/1963Cover of the programme for the Glasgow Cup Final 1963, which Third Lanark won 2-1, to lift the Cup for the fourth - and last - time. 4 years later Thirds went bust and Celtic won the European Cup.

Monday night football before Sky!

was bored at work and wondered why it was a Monday night...as with most internet searches, i got bored and ended up down a different path...anway..

what I did find was this match report. I've never seen teams listed like that before Haffey, Mackay and Kennedy...McNeill and Price . Anyone care to explaing the formation / positions?

jgl5X4zxaSrcQrUrdikQ-A314137

36 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

was bored at work and wondered why it was a Monday night...as with most internet searches, i got bored and ended up down a different path...anway..

what I did find was this match report. I've never seen teams listed like that before Haffey, Mackay and Kennedy...McNeill and Price . Anyone care to explaing the formation / positions?

jgl5X4zxaSrcQrUrdikQ-A314137

2-3-5
170px-2-3-5_(pyramid).svg.png

or

W-W (variation on W-M)
170px-3-2-2-3_formation.svg.png

formation

Divers Chalmers Murdoch Craig Brogan
McNamee McNeill Price
MacKay Kennedy
Haffey (GK)

or

Divers Murdoch Brogan
Chalmers Craig
McNamee McNeill Price
MacKay Kennedy
Haffey (GK)

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Northboy said:

Monday night football before Sky!

It was rearranged from December when it was postponed due to weather and at that stage of the season a Saturday date was out of the question. The semi finals of the Scottish Cup were on the 13th of April, and as Celtic were playing in that (against Raith Rovers) it was probably arranged for the Monday to give them an extra couple of days to recover for the semi final.

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why did he pick him for the first two games then, given that Souness had taken the Rangers job back in the April?

It was Frank Mcavennie revealed it on sportsound a few weeks back that Souness had told him he new Ferguson was going to to it