A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

something doesn't look right between the snips of these 2 photo's.....

same buses, cars, players & people wandering about carpark in same but a covering on the west terrace, one black one white....

early photo shopping....

image.thumb.png.f188b5bce802b704510a4efb377c16b3.png

image.thumb.png.0524e6fcd642da679b04b10536462804.png

A wee sign at the site of the Ormiston railway station commenting on the football special which took spectators in from Lochore for a cup tie against Ormiston Primrose. Those were the days, special trains to very random football ties.

Station closed in 1965, platform now used for allotments, if you're remotely interested.

Ormiston Primrose have also been away for a good few years now. IMG_20210620_141437.jpegIMG_20210620_113353.jpeg

6 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A wee sign at the site of the Ormiston railway station commenting on the football special which took spectators in from Lochore for a cup tie against Ormiston Primrose. Those were the days, special trains to very random football ties.

Station closed in 1965, platform now used for allotments, if you're remotely interested.

Ormiston Primrose have also been away for a good few years now. IMG_20210620_141437.jpegIMG_20210620_113353.jpeg

Ormiston "merged" (I think there was some dubiety over the merger) with East of Scotland League Pencaitland to become Pencaitland and Ormiston, playing at Recreation Park. P&O then simply became Ormiston and now play at a new pitch next to the old Recreation Park pitch.

I read a 1928 copy of the Evening News once and saw an advert for a train from Dunbar to Dalkeith for a midweek game between Dunbar United and Dalkeith Thistle in August.

Also I've seen ad for a ferry taking Leith Athletic fans over to Kirkcaldy for a game against Raith!

On 19/06/2021 at 23:22, Ruggie 68 said:

something doesn't look right between the snips of these 2 photo's.....

same buses, cars, players & people wandering about carpark in same but a covering on the west terrace, one black one white....

early photo shopping....

image.thumb.png.f188b5bce802b704510a4efb377c16b3.png

image.thumb.png.0524e6fcd642da679b04b10536462804.png

That's exceptionally well-spotted, and you're clearly correct.

Notice that even in the version with West end roof the south west floodlight is throwing shadow on the pitch but not the roof.

On 17/06/2021 at 12:28, HibeeJibee said:

992424667cb377eaa8760fcd5e954c5e.jpg

Hampden-Park.jpg

29 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's exceptionally well-spotted, and you're clearly correct.

Notice that even in the version with West end roof the south west floodlight is throwing shadow on the pitch but not the roof.

Could be an artists impression of what it would look like with the roof on. 

Bobby Walker (1879-1930) pictured in 1901.

He scored 124 goals in 328 appearances for The Jambos between 1896 and 1919, collecting 29 Scotland caps along the way - scoring eight goals.

His fame was such, that when Hearts travelled to Norway in 1912 on a tour, King Haakon VII of Norway and the son-in-law of Edward VII of England, attended the game as Walker was apparently the King's favourite footballer.

Until Steven Pressley surpassed him, he was Hearts most-capped Scottish player.

WalkerBobbyHearts1901.jpg

39 minutes ago, RedEd said:

The McLean brothers all smiling at the same time. A rare event.

Tommy: Like the car, Willie. Where did you get it from? 

Willie: Jim gave me a loan of it. He confiscated it off a youth player for giving him backchat. 

10 hours ago, Meatwad said:

Bobby Walker (1879-1930) pictured in 1901.

He scored 124 goals in 328 appearances for The Jambos between 1896 and 1919, collecting 29 Scotland caps along the way - scoring eight goals.

His fame was such, that when Hearts travelled to Norway in 1912 on a tour, King Haakon VII of Norway and the son-in-law of Edward VII of England, attended the game as Walker was apparently the King's favourite footballer.

Until Steven Pressley surpassed him, he was Hearts most-capped Scottish player.

WalkerBobbyHearts1901.jpg

jamie-walker-hearts.jpg.8e50fe12a3714e0c0f75971f1019f26a.jpg

I believe Jamie Walker is a descendant. There's a similarity anyway. It's strange to think there's been Walkers at Hearts for more than a century. I wonder if any other clubs have similar pedigrees. 

14 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Any info on this?

Hampden was meant to get redeveloped in the 80s, and that was one of the designs, but Maggie Thatcher reneged on the grant for it so the whole thing was scrapped.

As far as my knowledge goes, Hampden was on the verge of being abandoned until Hillsborough and the Taylor Report made it necessary for it to be redeveloped, and funding was created to do so.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hampden was meant to get redeveloped in the 80s, and that was one of the designs, but Maggie Thatcher reneged on the grant for it so the whole thing was scrapped.

As far as my knowledge goes, Hampden was on the verge of being abandoned until Hillsborough and the Taylor Report made it necessary for it to be redeveloped, and funding was created to do so.

I was aware of the Tories pulling the plug. Rangers chairman Rae Simpson had bent the ears of government officials at a Jim Watt fight in Ibrox, suggesting there was no need to waste money on Hampden when their stadium was already upgraded and available. 

I don't remember ever seeing the above proposed design though. The original model of the rebuilt stadium from circa 1980 was pretty similar to what it is now.

On 05/06/2021 at 00:31, doogster said:

That is a brilliant photo of Souness staring Socrates down.  He genuinely looks like Yosser Hughes (or the other way round); Yosser was right all along! 😄

EC22089B-0DCB-4C23-8E1C-B20DD82DDC91.jpeg.f972273bed1fa01993ba493a8d8df26b.jpeg

I'll do a good job marking your players at corners