A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

I remember Jock Stein being interviewed after that match.

I can't remember a team Manager, either before or since, being so entirely honest when talking about the game we had just seen.

The gist of what he said was:

They were better than us, more skilled, faster to the ball, they played us off the Park. 

No excuses, no blaming the heat, the ref, the long domestic season, nothing.

Just plain stating it as it was. He was one of a kind. 

On 02/06/2021 at 20:41, Dundee Hibernian said:

These two Celtic v Leeds games, the socks worn by the away sides in each tie were unusual in that Celtic wore orange socks at Elland Road, while Leeds had red hose at Hampden. It's doubtful that they would do the same these days.

orange socks red socks.jpg

I'm sure I once read that when Celtic were asked to change socks, Leeds offered them a set of royal blue ones which clearly weren't going to be accepted. 

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I'm sure I once read that when Celtic were asked to change socks, Leeds offered them a set of royal blue ones which clearly weren't going to be accepted. 

Think that may be correct: I either watched the game on tv or listened via radio, and recall a commentator saying a member of Celtic's backroom staff (and now I'm possibly imagining, but Sean Fallon sticks in the mind) had been dispatched to a Leeds sports shop to buy socks for the players to wear .

6 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Fir park

E9089519-9721-4D21-B4DF-0BD2A47E695C.jpeg

Now I'm all "misty eyed" - my old papa collapsed and died on that terracing in a game against Airdrie. He was Airdrie through and through, my dad Motherwell daft. Fitting that he passed at that game 😢

vic-kasule-scotland-s-for-me_orig.thumb.jpg.6dbb29bc196e69c15d2ee0b7bd046b36.jpg

Victor Kasule in his Meadowbank days. 

Great player in a great strip. 

Mark Walters has been featured in the media talking of his experiences of racism when he signed for Rangers. As far as I know no-one has ever asked King Vic what his experiences were. Probably because the lazy football journalists have never heard of Vic. 

Some former Meadowbank fans met him at a BSC v Edinburgh City game a few years ago, he was coaching some BSC youth team. Good guy.

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

vic-kasule-scotland-s-for-me_orig.thumb.jpg.6dbb29bc196e69c15d2ee0b7bd046b36.jpg

Victor Kasule in his Meadowbank days. 

Great player in a great strip. 

Mark Walters has been featured in the media talking of his experiences of racism when he signed for Rangers. As far as I know no-one has ever asked King Vic what his experiences were. Probably because the lazy football journalists have never heard of Vic. 

Some former Meadowbank fans met him at a BSC v Edinburgh City game a few years ago, he was coaching some BSC youth team. Good guy.

He was brilliant. I remember him scoring  an unbelievable long range effort into the electronic scoreboard end at the stadium. 

Imagine a part time team paying £28,000 or whatever it was, for anyone! Changed days.

On 08/06/2021 at 13:33, speckled tangerine said:

He was brilliant. I remember him scoring  an unbelievable long range effort into the electronic scoreboard end at the stadium. 

Imagine a part time team paying £28,000 or whatever it was, for anyone! Changed days.

The transfer fees paid in days gone by are astonishing. Dumbarton received £40,000 for Kenny Wilson in 1972 and went on to spend that £40,000 on other players. In today's money that is £460,000!

On 05/06/2021 at 15:44, kennie makevin said:

EC22089B-0DCB-4C23-8E1C-B20DD82DDC91.jpeg.f972273bed1fa01993ba493a8d8df26b.jpeg

Souness must have really rattled him, they only put four past us !

Classic Souness/Yosser Hughes ...... classic ..... brilliant photo

Socrates was some unit though when you see that photo ...... sure he smoked about 60 a day too

An Ayrshire Derby in the mid 80's. If it is the game I'm thinking of we won 3-0, Kenny Ashwood scoring a debut brace.

Interesting to note the lack of crowd in the background. Whilst it was an horrendous day weather-wise,  poor crowds were common when we were both in the same league. It only really ignited again on 2nd January '89. Kick off was held back to let the near 9,000 crowd in to watch essentially a relegation battle.

64a80ac9e694ee3f27820cd37da1a141.jpg

4 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

An Ayrshire Derby in the mid 80's. If it is the game I'm thinking of we won 3-0, Kenny Ashwood scoring a debut brace.

Interesting to note the lack of crowd in the background. Whilst it was an horrendous day weather-wise,  poor crowds were common when we were both in the same league. It only really ignited again on 2nd January '89. Kick off was held back to let the near 9,000 crowd in to watch essentially a relegation battle.

Kenny Ashwood started his senior career at East Stirlingshire, I think, but don't recall his spell at Ayr lasting long. Later on he went to Victoria to play in Australia.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Kenny Ashwood started his senior career at East Stirlingshire, I think, but don't recall his spell at Ayr lasting long. Later on he went to Victoria to play in Australia.

I actually just looked him up! 17 games and 4 goals.

He certainly turned up at Falkirk twice at least, more's the pity.

PS Love that picture. Sums up 80's lower league football perfectly. That photo must have been taken near the start of the match because I bet the players were in some nick of glaur by half time.

4 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

It's either that or the previous derby at Somerset, both of which took place in 1985. That one was close to being called off due to absolutely horrendous rain not too long before kick off. A few Old Firm fans turned up at the match as Scotland's second derby had been postponed.