A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Wondered about the badge on the Leeds keeper’s jersey. From “Goalkeepers are different” website -

Two Leeds United goalkeepers wore international jerseys for first team games during the 1970s. Gary Sprake set the trend by wearing an Italy shirt for the club's European Cup semi-final against Celtic back in 1970 while David Harvey wore a red Scotland international jersey during a league match against Leicester City in 1978.

Pretty sure there was a photo of St Mirren a few pages back with Billy Thomson wearing a Norway top. 

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was only 14 at the time, but I remember thinking that Celtic had it won when it turned out to be a Dutch team in the final. I don’t think that any Dutch club side or the national team had done anything of note up until  that point. Boy, did things change very, very quickly.

Ajax had made the final as well the year before.

20 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Six years before I was born, my dad was at the game and tells me how the English media totally wrote off Celtic in the build up to the tie which, I'm sure is a surprise to absolutely no one.

Conversely, Celtic by all accounts did similar in the final and totally wrote of Feyenoord. 

I remember the Leeds games.  Don Revie's side were drooled over by the English media back then (some things never change) as some kind of invincibles.  Although obviously not an OF fan I remember the pride we all felt at school that a Scottish side had bested the much vaunted Leeds both away and at home - and of course back then you could have that collective pride as the team was (as it was in 67) essentially full of Scots unlike the travelling kiss-the-badge mercenaries that largely populate our top sides nowadays.  The Hampden game I think hosted a massive crowd (north of 130,000 perhaps) too.

As you say the Feyenoord game was a big let down.  Watched that on TV (pretty sure I didn't see the Leeds games - were they televised, not sure) and still remember the agony of Feyenoord's extra time winner.  Of course I think we were probably all a bit disrespectful of Dutch football then, and particularly were probably lulled into a false sense of over-confidence by the media in having seen off Leeds.  To be fair, that game probably marked the start of a renaissance in the Dutch game and the great Cruyff and Neeskens inspired Ajax side followed soon after.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

........ Ah, right ....... I had it in mind that Feyenoord had made the final before Ajax .......  My memory is shit these days though. 🙄

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was only 14 at the time, but I remember thinking that Celtic had it won when it turned out to be a Dutch team in the final. I don’t think that any Dutch club side or the national team had done anything of note up until  that point. Boy, did things change very, very quickly.

Ajax got to the European Cup final in 1969 and slaughtered Bill Shankley's  Liverpool a few years before that. 

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
8 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

8A91A575-54E8-4644-B941-FA78D3465EF8.jpeg.4b1a1fc56b5ca2d09ea234a0c1ee5e0d.jpeg

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the old North Stand from the outside before. Rickety looking stairwells anyway!

I was a steward in the old North Stand back in my student days ....... it was indeed as "rickety" as it looks in this picture!

21 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Six years before I was born, my dad was at the game and tells me how the English media totally wrote off Celtic in the build up to the tie which, I'm sure is a surprise to absolutely no one.

Conversely, Celtic by all accounts did similar in the final and totally wrote of Feyenoord. 

One other wee bit of useless trivia from a personal point of view, my mates dad, George Connolly scored Celtic's goal in the first leg at Elland Road. Couple of years ago David asked me if I could rehang a radiator in the hall that had been knocked off by a sofa delivery guy or something.... he was at work but, as it was a quite big radiator his dad would give me a lift with it.  Felt quite bizarre and truth be told I was a little starstruck at a Celtic legend such as George Connolly helping me hang a radiator, absolute gem of a guy too.

Was meant to be one hell of a player, his brother played for Cowden in the late 60s.

2 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

I’d forgotten about that. I knew that Ajax won the next three after Feyenoord to make it Dutch winners for the first four years of the 70s.

13 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I was a steward in the old North Stand back in my student days ....... it was indeed as "rickety" as it looks in this picture!

Was in this wonderful edifice for WC qualifier v. Sweden,1981 ish.Crowd was 80k plus,I think.Never felt 100% safe.

On 01/06/2021 at 08:53, Drew Brees said:

ADC65E35-775C-4FE2-989B-F68AD83734B4.jpeg

AA8D12F5-7BEB-40AF-B801-E224A54BAA05.jpeg

EC22089B-0DCB-4C23-8E1C-B20DD82DDC91.jpeg

03A3D887-ABCC-4962-89DB-F9A91E77DB9F.jpeg

EE975A18-1BDB-48FA-BCE5-D5F85C232C6F.jpeg

That 1982 World Cup squad...

Imagine these days Scotland going to a major tournament with a squad of players that would win 20 European medals between them over their careers before and after the tournament.

This squad really was good enough to get out of the group stages, though it did have two very good opponents in it, USSR and Brazil).

Jim Leighton, Alex McLeish, Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan (Aberdeen 1983 Cup Winners Cup)

Alan Brazil, John Wark (Ipswich UEFA Cup 1981)

John Robertson (Nottingham Forest European Cup 1979 and 1980)

Frank Gray ( Nottingham Forest European Cup 1980)

Allan Evans (Aston Villa European Cup 1982)

Steve Archibald (Tottenham Hotspur UEFA Cup 1984)

Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Kenny Dalglish (European Cup 1978, 1981,1984)

The Others

Joe Jordan and Frank Gray (LeedsUnited European Cup runner up 1975, Cup Winners Cup runners up 1973)

Paul Sturrock, Dave Narey (1985 European Cup semi-finalists)

Jordan played for AC Milan, Archibald was a big signing for Barcelona and Souness played for Sampdoria.

On 02/06/2021 at 19:09, Otis Blue said:

As you say the Feyenoord game was a big let down.  Watched that on TV (pretty sure I didn't see the Leeds games - were they televised, not sure) and still remember the agony of Feyenoord's extra time winner.  Of course I think we were probably all a bit disrespectful of Dutch football then, and particularly were probably lulled into a false sense of over-confidence by the media in having seen off Leeds.  To be fair, that game probably marked the start of a renaissance in the Dutch game and the great Cruyff and Neeskens inspired Ajax side followed soon after.

The Dutch commentary on the winning goal (by Wim Hogendoorn & Theo Koomen) was released as a single and got to no. 21 in the Dutch charts in June 1970.

Three places below them were The Humblebums.

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

The Dutch commentary on the winning goal (by Wim Hogendoorn & Theo Koomen) was released as a single and got to no. 21 in the Dutch charts in June 1970.

Three places below them were The Humblebums.

Brilliant 👏

Hampden Park burns amidst a riot stemming from the belief among both Celtic and Rangers fans that the 1909 Scottish Cup Final between the two sides was being deliberately fixed to line the pockets of the SFA blazers.

The cup was withheld that season after the riot and the press compared it to The Battle of Langside that took place nearby in the 15th century.

I wrote about it in more detail here.

GP22709702.jpg

7 hours ago, Meatwad said:

Hampden Park burns amidst a riot stemming from the belief among both Celtic and Rangers fans that the 1909 Scottish Cup Final between the two sides was being deliberately fixed to line the pockets of the SFA blazers.

The cup was withheld that season after the riot and the press compared it to The Battle of Langside that took place nearby in the 15th century.

I wrote about it in more detail here.

GP22709702.jpg

"Unlike now where Rangers hold the sway over league titles"

Dead Rangers?