A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 26/05/2021 at 07:33, Willie adie said:

Aye a rather lacklustre campaign, and that list of strikers,

Add in David Speedie, Charlie Nicholas, 

The likes of John Robertson, Eric Black, Billy Dodds, Keith Wright, Frank McDougall, Iain Ferguson, were all scored at domestic level but never got a sniff at international level,

Also McClair, and Sharp were disappointingly goal shy for Scotland

In 1986  Billy Dodds was 17, Keith Wright was playing for Raith, Iain Ferguson was at Clyde and Frank McDougall retired due to a chronic back injury. 

4 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

In 1986  Billy Dodds was 17, Keith Wright was playing for Raith, Iain Ferguson was at Clyde and Frank McDougall retired due to a chronic back injury. 

Indeed.

Some timelines are all over the place on this thread.

He might mean the other Ian Ferguson, but he was nowhere near consideration for the World Cup squad.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

Some timelines are all over the place on this thread.

He might mean the other Ian Ferguson, but he was nowhere near consideration for the World Cup squad.

Yeah. I got that one wrong; Ian Ferguson was at Clyde, I realise now he meant Iain Ferguson who was at Rangers at the time. But you're right, he wasn't near a Scotland shirt.

13 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Penis and John Kosmina prepare to do battle at the excellent but very rickety Olympic Park Stadium in Melbourne.

I recall a bit of trouble during the game possibly initiated from the expats.

Is the Souness thumb too far round for a normal handshake?

I think he had just arrived the day before, and not with the team due to Italian commitments. He looks a bit pale and tired...

DrdyCVnXgAAccDB.jpg.8adb5678d600d10f2b0627483e2a70fd.jpg

The referee looks like he's been told he has to walk home.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Everton fans voted him into their greatest ever team and he's their top goalscorer since Dixie Deans. He won 2 league titles, an FA Cup and a European Cup Winners Cup in 3 years.

Graeme Sharp could play.

Dixie Deans never played for Everton.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:
20 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Hadn't McClair been in the team for 5 or 6 years, before scoring his first goal against the C.I.S. in Sweden?

His goalscoring record was rubbish but his general forward and link-up play was often immense. He was a very underrated player, a guy that was hugely appreciated by fellow players and managers if less so by fans. Alex Ferguson would have had him cloned if he could.

In terms of trophies won McClair was probably the most successful Scottish player of his era.

Edited by Northboy
ETA "Scottish"

8 hours ago, Northboy said:

In terms of trophies won McClair was probably the most successful Scottish player of his era.

I doubt it to be honest.

The Man United he moved to, took years to start winning trophies.  The tail end of his career coincided with Man United starting to win everything, but he would have had several fallow years.

A Rangers player of the same era would have scooped more trophies.

On 27/05/2021 at 08:24, Arabdownunder said:

Yeah. I got that one wrong; Ian Ferguson was at Clyde, I realise now he meant Iain Ferguson who was at Rangers at the time. But you're right, he wasn't near a Scotland shirt.

I agree although he did have a pretty impressive European record of having scored against Internazionale, Barcelona and Bayern Munich for three different Scottish cubs....but apart from that, he's a proud knuckledragger always hanging about Govan and gives you the impression he thinks a lot more of his footballing talents than anyone else did...

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree although he did have a pretty impressive European record of having scored against Internazionale, Barcelona and Bayern Munich for three different Scottish cubs

That's a tremendous fact.

Never heard that one before.

21 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree although he did have a pretty impressive European record of having scored against Internazionale, Barcelona and Bayern Munich for three different Scottish cubs....but apart from that, he's a proud knuckledragger always hanging about Govan and gives you the impression he thinks a lot more of his footballing talents than anyone else did...

Iain Ferguson served me a pint in the Pot Still a few years back.

Was possibly the most skilful player I ever saw in the Tennent's Sixes, maybe only rivalled by Davie Cooper, in action for Motherwell below...

JS76492639.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

3 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Hearts lost a game of football here.
IMG_20210530_102929_1.jpeg

Edinburgh City drew a game of football there (lost on pens) but that's better than our noisy maroon neighbours so GIRUY Jambos.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Danny McGrain and Mark McGhee in the early 80's when Celtic v Aberdeen was the biggest match in an era when both clubs won 6 out 7 league titles between 79 and 86, two classic, sponsor free kits as well. 

FB_IMG_1622336966223.jpg

Mark McGhee looking like he has just remembered he forgot to turn the oven off before he left the house 

Edited by Forever_blueco

On 14/05/2021 at 11:21, jagfox BLM said:

The woman on the left is actually not from THe Chase and apparently used to go to all games home and away and used to stand in a similar location whatever ground she visited.

Groupies at the fitba thread for this pish