A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 23/05/2021 at 11:52, Otis Blue said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but the top pic ...... v Brazil 1974 WC in Germany? Bremner's miss at the back post? At that moment it dawned on me what life would be like as a Scottish fitba fan ...... 

And if anybody didn't take it in then, they only had to wait 4 years until Argentina.

16 hours ago, doogster said:

First pic v New Zealand WC 1982. Other two pics Zaire WC 1974.  A previous comment was spot on; looks like you'd get a hiding from every single one of them!

I might be in that one. (I think I was actually on the other side)

9 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Larry Hagman's career took a surprising turn.

Quite a difference in sentencing in those stories. 
taking a gas can to the game - 18 months

throwing it into a crowd - 4 years

Soldiers Caught on camera beating up civilians - 21 days and 10 days. 

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

IMG_8343.jpg

St Johnstone captain Jason Kerr holds aloft both the Scottish cup and League cup after becoming the first non old firm team since Aberdeen in 89-90 to complete a double.

Too colourful for this thread IMO.

IMG_8343.thumb.jpg.a45dc59629c2dc0901c4d0d2caaf0693.jpg.c7721c8a2ff1fd3f0067f241ee307d87.jpg

Celtic legend Jimmy McMenemy bandages the feet of Mohammed Salim, who played in a handful of games for The Hoops in 1936 as an amateur.

Though he never signed a professional deal, Salim was never forgotten at Celtic and when he was ill and subsequently died in 1980, the Celtic board sent his family money.

McMenemy's career was incredibly successful , he spent 18 years with Celtic, collecting several league and cup doubles before leaving to sign for Thistle, where he was part of the 1921 Scottish Cup-winning side at 41 years old.

Mohammed_Salim_(Indian_footballer)_having_feet_bandaged_at_Celtic_FC,_1936_photograph.jpg

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If there's one thing that'll help out in a potential disaster It's pelting others with coins.

6 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Hibs v Celtic carnage  from 87

3AC495EE-0C18-449E-A399-969EB29F4A31.jpeg

DDF2B2E7-F1B1-437B-B227-2A805655AF5C.jpeg

My old auntie lived next door to Joseph Donnelly in number 4 Ryefield Rd.

Was the talk of the steamie in the quiet cul de sac for about 3 weeks.

Although some clean cut dude about 3 doors away carried out a series of armed bank robberies about 15 years before. So a football hooligan was small change in an area where there had been a host of murders over the years, one with a Partick Thistle connection. Think the entire team came to the funeral.

Can't remember what became of 17 year old Joseph Donnelly, heard rumours but hey it's 34 years ago.

6 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Hibs v Celtic carnage  from 87

3AC495EE-0C18-449E-A399-969EB29F4A31.jpeg

DDF2B2E7-F1B1-437B-B227-2A805655AF5C.jpeg

I was at the game. Me and a mate bought tickets for the stand rather than the East Terrace where we usually went "as there's usually trouble when it's Celtic.." Two 15 year old laddies surrounded by the old, girning, "Grumpy Gibbies" of the North Stand

The game was stopped for about 20 minutes and Celtic went on to win 4-1, the turds. We were annoyed at the incident and also at the same time slightly amused that the CCS got gassed (we had no time for casuals. We were good c*nts)

Interesting to see the boy got 4 years up the High Court. Bugger would probably get Community Service these days.

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was at the game. Me and a mate bought tickets for the stand rather than the East Terrace where we usually went "as there's usually trouble when it's Celtic.." Two 15 year old laddies surrounded by the old, girning, "Grumpy Gibbies" of the North Stand

The game was stopped for about 20 minutes and Celtic went on to win 4-1, the turds. We were annoyed at the incident and also at the same time slightly amused that the CCS got gassed (we had no time for casuals. We were good c*nts)

Interesting to see the boy got 4 years up the High Court. Bugger would probably get Community Service these days.

I was there too, in the Shed with the wooden benches behind the goal.

The Judge was correct, it could have been much worse. As it was a few people got a fright and others left the stadium. Can't say as such the gas canister would been much use in crowd control since most of the crowd remained until the game finished.

3 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I was there too, in the Shed with the wooden benches behind the goal.

The Judge was correct, it could have been much worse. As it was a few people got a fright and others left the stadium. Can't say as such the gas canister would been much use in crowd control since most of the crowd remained until the game finished.

There were fences on the East Terrace at the time as this was two years before Hillsborough so come to think of it there might have been a worse situation- maybe 4 years wasn't so harsh after all.

6 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

1-0 to Feyenoord, assuming the picture is from the home leg. It probably is the home game judging by Cruyff's wet looking fringe, it was pishing that night.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1983&GameID=198309140

I'm telling complete lies.

It was St Mirren v St Etienne i was at.

Edit.

Hey Senior moment, feck it just been told by a mate i was there with him, pishing rain etc.

4 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I'm telling complete lies.

It was St Mirren v St Etienne i was at.

Edit.

Hey Senior moment, feck it just been told by a mate i was there with him, pishing rain etc.

That game finished 0-0 at Love Street. Platini did not play in that game, but played in the return leg which Saints lost. 

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198010220

There is some great footage of both games on YouTube.

Edited by Guest

Paul McStay and a blurry looking Roy Aitken in the background as Scotland draw 0-0 with Bulgaria in a European Championships qualifier in 1986, our first match after the Mexico World Cup and Steve Nicol missing that fucking sitter against Uruguay that would have put us through which I still haven't forgiven him for.

The band around the shorts was much panned back then but I personally loved that kit...had both home and away strips as a 9 year old.

Scotland huffed and puffed in this group, going out tamely with a lack of goals being our undoing....summed up with a 0-0 draw v Luxembourg, quite a bizarre failure of the national team in that era given the quality of strikers we had to choose from then... Sharp and Gray, Archibald, Sturrock, Johnston, McCoist, McClair and others were all rattling in goals at a high level but couldn't reciprocate the form for the national team. 

This rather 'meh' campaign is probably best remembered for Gary Mackay scoring a late winner in the final match away to Bulgaria in Sofia to eliminate the home side and enable the Republic of Ireland to qualify for their first ever international tournament under Jack Charlton. 

IMG_20210525_205238.jpg

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Paul McStay and a blurry looking Roy Aitken in the background as Scotland draw 0-0 with Bulgaria in a European Championships qualifier in 1986, our first match after the Mexico World Cup and Steve Nicol missing that fucking sitter against Uruguay that would have put us through which I still haven't forgiven him for.

The band around the shorts was much panned back then but I personally loved that kit...had both home and away strips as a 9 year old.

Scotland huffed and puffed in this group, going out tamely with a lack of goals being our undoing....summed up with a 0-0 draw v Luxembourg, quite a bizarre failure of the national team in that era given the quality of strikers we had to choose from then... Sharp and Gray, Archibald, Sturrock, Johnston, McCoist, McClair and others were all rattling in goals at a high level but couldn't reciprocate the form for the national team. 

This rather 'meh' campaign is probably best remembered for Gary Mackay scoring a late winner in the final match away to Bulgaria in Sofia to eliminate the home side and enable the Republic of Ireland to qualify for their first ever international tournament under Jack Charlton. 

IMG_20210525_205238.jpg

Aye a rather lacklustre campaign, and that list of strikers,

Add in David Speedie, Charlie Nicholas, 

The likes of John Robertson, Eric Black, Billy Dodds, Keith Wright, Frank McDougall, Iain Ferguson, were all scored at domestic level but never got a sniff at international level,

Also McClair, and Sharp were disappointingly goal shy for Scotland

Graeme Sharp in particular was a huge disappointment, talisman for that great Everton side under Howard Kendall that won two league titles, an FA Cup and the ECWC in the space of three years, not to mention runners up in the other major trophies in that spell....yet couldn't hit a barn door for Scotland.  The only thing I ever recall of him playing for Scotland was his mullet being grogged on by a filthy Uruguayan in the aforementioned match at Mexico 86.