A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Possibly Dens Park but I'm sure someone will work it out. On the right of the terrace Sunny Jim has escaped from the Vital Spark I notice. 

3 hours ago, aaa said:

It's not Dens, maybe Brockville.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Not Brockville. I thought Tynecastle.

Well, we'll get there eventually...

On 08/05/2021 at 10:01, Bogbrush1903 said:

I have that book too, purchased in the 1980s before the new builds started polluting its pages... I think Archibald Leitch's gable end is mentioned on nearly every page. 

Yeah, great book that, I've got it too .... great for old codgers like me reminiscing....

^^^^^ Inglis certainly was impressed by Archibald Leitch's designs ....... not to be confused with the Archibald Leach lawyer played by John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda ...... although I did wonder at the time....

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^^^ Inglis certainly was impressed by Archibald Leitch's designs ....... not to be confused with the Archibald Leach lawyer played by John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda ...... although I did wonder at the time....

Or the English actor who became Cary Grant. 

The John Cleese character in a Fish called Wanda was named after Cary Grant's original name.

Cary Grant was born in Bristol.

Talking of names Alf Wight needed a pseudonym for his book of memories of his time as a Yorkshire vet due to Royal Vets Society rules and having seen a football match on telly involving Birmingham City pinched the name of their Scottish goalie- James Herriot.

Herriot the vet lived in Glasgow as a child and studied to be a vet there. Herriot the goalie played for Dunfermline, Hibs, St Mirren, Partick and Morton.

On 14/05/2021 at 09:08, Eednud said:

Although this is a moving picture and Australian it’s about Scots and football in Australia. Includes a mention of Ayr United and words from Fergie, former Albion Rover Tom Sermanni, Lawrie McKinna ex Darvel and Killie. 

McKinna was a decent player during a dreadful era for Killie...

_48026513_mckinna_sns282.jpg

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The John Cleese character in a Fish called Wanda was named after Cary Grant's original name.

Talking of names Alf Wight needed a pseudonym for his book of memories of his time as a Yorkshire vet due to Royal Vets Society rules and having seen a football match on telly involving Birmingham City pinched the name of their Scottish goalie- James Herriot.

Herriot the vet lived in Glasgow as a child and studied to be a vet there. Herriot the goalie played for Dunfermline, Hibs, St Mirren, Partick and Morton.

Great stuff about Herriot. 

Picking up on the Bristol link, I worked in Bristol for a couple of years and a taxi driver (once he realised he had a jock in the car) told me that Joe Jordan had a house up in Clifton (the posh, expensive part) - he'd given big Joe a lift and said he was a smashing guy, nothing but praise for him. 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I can't find any pictures but Wikipedia confirms his practice of putting boot polish under his eyes to reduce glare. I remember the weird look but I had thought it was mud he used.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I can't find any pictures but Wikipedia confirms his practice of putting boot polish under his eyes to reduce glare. I remember the weird look but I had thought it was mud he used.

American Footballers and Baseball players have been doing it for years. Not sure if it is boot polish they use, though. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Hibs goalie Tommy Younger used to do it , I always assumed it was greasepaint that they used 

I used boot polish, when I played rugby league in Australia, everyone was doing it, I looked odd without it.  Didn't make a slightest bit of difference. 

@Eednud that clip about Australian fitba, I'm sure I've been in that bar/pub in Newcastle, nursing a pint while a horrific storm was happening outside.

Alex Stuart, probably season 1960/61, the first league derby at Tannadice sincen the 1946/47. Looking towards the Arklay Street end. 

Knew he went to United for a short while then Montrose as player manager/manager but forgot that he managed Ayr United and in 1975/76 season his record against Dundee was P 6 W 4 D 2 L 0 (SPL W 3 D 1, Lg Cup W 1 D 1). Ayr avoided relegation by 1 point above  Aberdeen, Dundee United and relegated Dundee. 

From an old Blether with Brown in the Tully

“I knew at that time there was interest in me from other clubs and I received a call from Aberdeen chairman Dick Donald.

“He told me his manager Billy McNeill was leaving Pittodrie to join Celtic and would I meet him for a chat in Perth.

“This I did and he offered me the Pittodrie job at 2,000 a year above the 10,000 salary I was on with Ayr.

“Around the same time, my former club Dundee also offered me the manager’s job but at a salary 2,000 below what I was currently getting from the Honest Men.

“I mulled over both the offers and decided to stay with Ayr.

“A few days later, Fergie was appointed manager of the Dons.

“I’ve often wondered what might have happened if I had accepted the Aberdeen job and what would have happened to Fergie’s career if he hadn’t got the call at that time from Mr Donald.”

image.jpeg.2b49a3081a10c856fc18e2a87b02a01f.jpeg