A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Sure he was capped while at Ayr yet never capped again after his move to Celtic. 

You are correct - It's usually the other way round. 😀😀 

While playing for Ayr United, he made his only appearance for the Scottish National Team on 17 December 1975 in a 1–1 draw with Romania - He even managed to get booked.  He was the first serving member of the Honest Men to play for Scotland since  Bob Hepburn in 1932; none have done so since.

1 hour ago, johan scott said:

Some real hard cases there!

7 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

E90F0A2C-8B7F-4B01-9F99-CBD344C50C08.jpeg

The picture above must've been taken just before the initial picture that was shown on here. Luigi Macari and Willie Morgan are caught off guard, Shades and Doyle seem doomed up before they fix half smiles for the main pic. Within 13 years of this pic being taken, both Schaedler and Doyle would be dead and those (last two far right bottom row) seem conscious of the fate that awaits them in this off guarded moment. Although more likely, they are both newbies with Scottish clubs outside the gruesomes, so they are probably of little interest to the Anglos and players who have been around the squad for awhile.

I never knew Tom McAllister had any involvement with the Scottish squad. He went on to spend the whole of the 1980s as Phil Parkes understudy at West Ham United. This is a very unlikely bunch of players assembled in 1973. Even George Graham was rarely with the Scottish squad. I wonder what game they are preparing for here. Perhaps one against Wales or Northern Ireland in the British Home Championship...

I'm surprised at how average in height Jim Holton looks compared to his fellow tall peers at the back row. I always thought Davie Hay was a 5'10 man...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

8 hours ago, scotfree said:
16 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Lou Macari to Willie Morgan "What do you call a Scotsman in the knockout stages of the World Cup? "A referee"

Macari has just noticed Morgan picking out a bogey.

It's an interesting squad. Of the 22 players pictured I reckon only 9/10 were in the World Cup squad the following year (and none of the 3 goalkeepers pictured). 

12 hours ago, scotfree said:

185177308_5815487088492296_2826642212395189611_n.thumb.jpg.362e459e10bae0ffb413f80342eef4df.jpg

If I'm being picky then I don't think football was on P302 by 1983 and I think the Ceefax banner might've been red instead of blue at that point. However, these Ceefax pages memorabilia has a nice retro feel if not particularly accurate.

I actually have a childhood memory of Ceefax (and it was definitely Ceefax rather than Oracle) which gives you an idea of what a sad individual I am. I loaded the Scottish Premier Division results page in December 1985 (I think, I'm pretty sure it was a postponed match from the Skol Cup final with Hibs) when the Dons were playing Clydebank at Kilbowie. I stood aghast as the result displayed Clydebank (Lanarch, Dickson) 2-1 Aberdeen (Black).

Edited by Bogbrush1903

22 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

5 hours ago, Northboy said:

It's an interesting squad. Of the 22 players pictured I reckon only 9/10 were in the World Cup squad the following year (and none of the 3 goalkeepers pictured). 

It's actually even less than that, from those 22 only 8 were on the plane to West Germany the next year:-

Jardine, McGrain, Bremner, Holton, Dalglish, Hay, Donachie and Schaedler.

An astonishing turnaround!

5 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

It's actually even less than that, from those 22 only 8 were on the plane to West Germany the next year:-

Jardine, McGrain, Bremner, Holton, Dalglish, Hay, Donachie and Schaedler.

An astonishing turnaround!

Morgan might also have been in the 1974 squad.

Makes you  wonder what the occasion was as the squad seems short of some obvious names from that time. 

15 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Morgan might also have been in the 1974 squad.

Makes you  wonder what the occasion was as the squad seems short of some obvious names from that time. 

Correct. Missed him off the list, must've been cause he wasn't looking :D

Harvey, Blackley, J Johnstone, Jordan, Lorimer, Allan, J Stewart, Buchan, Cormack, Ford, Hutchison, Law and McQueen are missing from the 74 squad.

The teams for the Home Internationals v Wales and N Ireland that year seem to include those players so must've been from the build up to them...

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scot-intres1975.html

Edited by Lurkst

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Correct. Missed him off the list, must've been cause he wasn't looking :D

Harvey, Blackley, J Johnstone, Jordan, Lorimer, Allan, J Stewart, Buchan, Cormack, Ford, Hutchison, Law and McQueen are missing from the 74 squad.

The teams for the Home Internationals v Wales and N Ireland that year seem to include those players so must've been from the build up to them...

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scot-intres1975.html

I think it must've been after they arrived back from Switzerland in June 1973 and in the lead up to a home match against Brazil. I think Peter McCloy's caps are the key to solving this mystery. Joe Jordan must've joined the squad later perhaps this photo was taken earlier in the week and Jordan met up with squad at the end of that week...

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong and Lurkst is correct. This pic was taken around the period of the Home International matches in May 1975

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/players/?pid=1336&lid=1

Edited by Bogbrush1903