A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 29/04/2021 at 12:37, Northboy said:

Probably something along those lines although Lambie from Queen's Park is only listed by surname. Were QP amateur in those days?

Corinthians were amateurs, the programme is English, so presumably the printers didn't know or care that QP were also amateur - or the Scots, when presenting their team, did not distinguish between pro and am.

It was a big thing in cricket, the Gentlemen v Players game survived into the sixties, with players on the same team leaving from different entrances, and listed in the programmes differently according to whether they were professionals (surname, or surname + initials) or amateurs (initials + surname).   So this programme is in the same pattern.  (There was once a tannoy announcement at a cricket match: "ladies and gentlemen, there is an error in your programmes.  F. J. Titmus should read Titmus F. J.")

Stanley Matthews said that his letter from the FA calling him up for his international debut began "Dear Matthews".

As an aside, there was obviously no policy then that a player had to be playing in Scotland to play for Scotland.

(Same old) Alloa (always cheating) at Ibrox 100 years ago, 1921. Cup, Alloa drew the first game 0-0, while the replay which was also played at Ibrox ended in a defeat for the Wasps (4-1).
72486763_AlloaatIbroxin1921.jpg.ca73dab5f4d7a3c65e5b5e28120b6828.jpg

Is that Paw Broon far right, in the bunnet?

On 04/05/2021 at 23:45, Flybhoy said:

Two Scotland internationals and a future Rangers/England captain in the picture during a match between Ipswich and Chelsea in 1979.

IMG_20210504_105343.jpg

Had trouble recognising the Chelsea player. The full head of hair confused me.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

When did they change the front to put in small bit of terracing?

Not sure. There was redevelopment when the dog track was put in. Maybe then so 50s.

21 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

There was once a tannoy announcement at a cricket match: "ladies and gentlemen, there is an error in your programmes.  F. J. Titmus should read Titmus F. J.")

I shared that with a former Boss of mine who told me that it was in August 1965  at Lord's,  Middlesex v Surrey and he was there!!

Dundee United line up before kick off in the first leg of the 1987 UEFA Cup final in Gothenburg, they went down 1-0 in Sweden before a 1-1 draw at Tannadice. 

The pitch at the Ullevi Stadium (where Aberdeen won the 1983 CWC incidentally) was a rutted, bobbly disaster that resulted in a few ankle knocks on the night and made any attempt at a passing game virtually impossible, a concert a couple of weeks previously, I think by Bruce Springsteen if memory serves me correctly was the culprit by all accounts. 

Edit... I was about ten years old at the time and recall how Kevin Gallagher was United's main man in that run to the final and one of the best players from Scotland of that era, just noticed he isn't in the starting line up so would have been a huge miss, can only assume he was injured? 

FB_IMG_1620333379122.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

On 05/05/2021 at 19:58, bluearmyfaction said:

Corinthians were amateurs, the programme is English, so presumably the printers didn't know or care that QP were also amateur - or the Scots, when presenting their team, did not distinguish between pro and am.

It was a big thing in cricket, the Gentlemen v Players game survived into the sixties, with players on the same team leaving from different entrances, and listed in the programmes differently according to whether they were professionals (surname, or surname + initials) or amateurs (initials + surname).   So this programme is in the same pattern.  (There was once a tannoy announcement at a cricket match: "ladies and gentlemen, there is an error in your programmes.  F. J. Titmus should read Titmus F. J.")

Fuckin' 'ell it's Fred Titmus!

(One for the Half Man Half Biscuit affecionados)

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Dundee United line up before kick off in the first leg of the 1987 UEFA Cup final in Gothenburg, they went down 1-0 in Sweden before a 1-1 draw at Tannadice. 

The pitch at the Ullevi Stadium (where Aberdeen won the 1983 CWC incidentally) was a rutted, bobbly disaster that resulted in a few ankle knocks on the night and made any attempt at a passing game virtually impossible, a concert a couple of weeks previously, I think by Bruce Springsteen if memory serves me correctly was the culprit by all accounts. 

Edit... I was about ten years old at the time and recall how Kevin Gallagher was United's main man in that run to the final and one of the best players from Scotland of that era, just noticed he isn't in the starting line up so would have been a huge miss, can only assume he was injured? 

FB_IMG_1620333379122.jpg

Gallacher was benched by McLean, and although he'd started in each of the three league games prior to the final, he'd also been a substitute for the away leg against Borussia Mönchengladbach. Wee Jim was very cautious and superstitious when it came to finals, unfortunately that was his undoing in almost all of them.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Morris Dancing at Hampden.

I think that is at Easter Road.....the old terracing opposite the main stand in the background. Possibly April 1973 when Celtic won 3 0 to clinch the league. Dixie Deans scored 2 that day.

Edited by Drewmc

6 minutes ago, Drewmc said:

I think that is at Easter Road.....the old terracing opposite the main stand in the background. Possibly April 1973 when Celtic won 3 0 to clinch the league. Dixie Deans scored 2 that day.

Seeing as Drew Brees posted it without any information (as per - he must assume that everyone who posts on here is a Celtic fan) I just assumed it was another Celtic cup win at Hampden. You are more than likely right

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Firs Park in the '60s.

Firs Park in the snow, 1960s.jpg

Firs Park in the snow, 1960s 2.jpg

When they took over Shire and moved them to Clydebank didn't the Steedman brothers move the floodlights from Firs Park to Kilbowie too? I'm sure I read that somewhere. Would the set in the picture be the lights that were moved?

(Note: ES Clydebank only lasted a season. After a court case Shire went back to Firs Park and Clydebank eventually took Third Lanark's place in the League)