A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Sir Fergie of Govan clearly knows he is about to be on the receiving end of the 'hairdryer treatment' himself after being sent off for Falkirk at Brockville, unsure of the date, early 70's? 

FB_IMG_1619859361486.jpg

February 72 according to this...

https://the-football-archive.com/2020/01/06/fergie-in-boots-the-playing-career-of-sir-alex-ferguson/

On 29/04/2021 at 18:23, Flybhoy said:

Have you been to France the last few years? 

Ive been about 4 or 5 times watching Celtic and some of the 'facilities' in bars and service stations in particular are beyond horrific, the latter in particular would draw a reaction from most people akin to Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' painting...been at a few where it is literally a tiled floor with a hole in it, not even cubicled off... and unisex as well 😱😱😱

Been in a few pubs as well with unisex toilets... urinals right next to the cubicles the ladies use, pretty fucking grim.

I was picking grapes in south of France 79 ish and holes in the ground were the norm.  Quite frankly, you’d shit anywhere in the countryside rather than that.

Of all the non-league/lower league clubs to splash the cash perhaps the strangest one is Tarff Rovers from the lowly populated area of Kirkcowan in Wigtownshire who during their final years had players like Chic Charnley & Rowan Alexander on  their books before folding in 2003. Can't find any pictures of Charnley et al at Tarff  or from their victory over Alloa in the 1967 Scottish Cup so here's a random dump of stuff I found interesting. More stuff here

The Scottish Qualifying Cup winning team of 1969

http://www.kirkcowan.info/resources/_wsb_490x362_Winners+Qualifying+Cup+600px.jpg

Vs Montrose in the Scottish Cup in 2001

y5559.jpg
y5614.jpg

1961012801.jpg

1 hour ago, jagfox BLM said:

Firhill's old shed in construction around 1909.1221307770_Firhill1909.thumb.jpg.c1008940cf96983cc5e0880403cb950b.jpg

Was that one was replaced in the 'fifties? I seem to recall such a picture. I'm also thinking the perimeter wall was like that when I started going to away games in Glasgow, and for a good few years thereafter.

Thistle moved to Firhill in 1909, and there was a barrier collapse at a match v Celtic where injuries occurred not long after the ground opened.

For clarity, I first visited Firhill in the 'sixties.

condemned banking.jpg

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Of all the non-league/lower league clubs to splash the cash perhaps the strangest one is Tarff Rovers from the lowly populated area of Kirkcowan in Wigtownshire who during their final years had players like Chic Charnley & Rowan Alexander on  their books before folding in 2003. Can't find any pictures of Charnley et al at Tarff  or from their victory over Alloa in the 1967 Scottish Cup so here's a random dump of stuff I found interesting. More stuff here

http://www.kirkcowan.info/resources/_wsb_490x362_Winners+Qualifying+Cup+600px.jpg

y5559.jpg
y5614.jpg

1961012801.jpg

Edinburgh City had a memorable trip to Tarff Rovers in the Qualifying Cup.

Halfway through the second half two local neds made a comment to coach Ronnie Travers's daughter who turned round and thumped one of them. City won easily and as we left the ground an old wifie gave our bus the vickies!

I think it was a guy with Ayrshire Juniors connections had taken them over. It was the usual sad tale of a club from a village who'd coasted along happily enough for years gets taken over by someone who splashes the cash and when it runs out the club folds- the Gretna of the South of Scotland League I suppose.

From an old Blether with Brown in the Tully

Continuing tales regarding football referees, it was reported in 1978 that: “During the Berwick Rangers v Albion Rovers match, referee Bill Mullen sent a photographer packing when he joined in the players’ protests after a Berwick goal was disallowed”.

East-Fife-1970_35382329-Read-Only-564x56

East Fife 1970East Fife players take a break from training during their promotion-winning season in 1970-71.

Back row – Pat Quinn, Bertie Miller, John Bernard. Middle row – Johnny Love, Alex Jamieson, Colin McDonald, John Brown, Billy McPhee. Front row – Rab Cairns, Dave Gorman, Jim Finlayson, Brian McNicoll.

Five Dundee-based players are in the photo – Jamieson, McDonald, Brown, Finlayson, McNicoll.

First-team regulars of that stage of the season missing from the photo include Davie Clarke, Peter McQuade, John Martis, Walter Borthwick and Graeme Honeyman.

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Was that one was replaced in the 'fifties? I seem to recall such a picture. I'm also thinking the perimeter wall was like that when I started going to away games in Glasgow, and for a good few years thereafter.

Thistle moved to Firhill in 1909, and there was a barrier collapse at a match v Celtic where injuries occurred not long after the ground opened.

For clarity, I first visited Firhill in the 'sixties.

condemned banking.jpg

Not replaced. but the front of it was taken away and both end terraces moved to make way for a dog track in 1932. Hence the high wall that is there now was there in the 60's

Edited by thisal

21 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

y5559.jpg
y5614.jpg

1961012801.jpg

Who doesn't have a picture of Tarff Rovers with Chic Charnley in it?😀

FB_IMG_1620149165499.jpg

On 03/05/2021 at 15:22, Mark Connolly said:

Somewhere in the background of the top picture, there is a 5 year old me going absolutely fucking bonkers

I’m there as well. We were at the wall because of being with my 10 year old nephew.