A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If Old Firm semi is option 1 and there are options 2 and 3 as well. The first time around you have:

1 (1 in 3 or 33.3333% chance)

The next time to have it happen twice in a row:

1 1 (1 in 9 or 11.1111% chance. That is 3 to the power 2.

1 2

1 3

2 1

2 2

2 3

3 1

3 2

3 3

The next time to have it happen three times  in a row:

1 1 1 (1 in 27 or 3.7037% chance. That is 1 in 3 to the power 3.

1 1 2

1 1 3

1 2 1

1 2 2

1 2 3

1 3 1

1 3 2

1 3 3

2 1 1

2 1 2

2 1 3

2 2 1

2 2 2

2 2 3

2 3 1

2 3 2

2 3 3

3 1 1

3 1 2

3 1 3

3 2 1

3 2 2

3 2 3

3 3 1

3 3 2

3 3 3

So by 8 times in a row there is a 1 in 6561 (3 to the power 8 ) probability of it happening by chance rather than fraudulently.

If you don't believe me there are websites that explain this sort of stuff in more depth:

https://www.calculator.net/probability-calculator.html?cal4pa=0.33333&cal4par=8&cal4pb=0.3&cal4pbr=3&calctype=series&x=79&y=18#series

You've ludicrously overcomplicated this, and as a result got it badly wrong. The odds of them avoiding each other in every draw are 2/3. Therefore the odds of them avoiding each other in 8 consecutive draws are (2/3)^8 = 0.039.

34 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Definitely fixed, imhauo. C****

Messed that one up on the odds but still unusual enough to be suspicious when it happens to be the two clubs that would provide the largest final gate share to the cup organising organisation in question.

On 21/04/2021 at 17:01, Dundee Hibernian said:

The second replay was on the Monday night following a Wembley Scotland v England game: I mind getting off the train that night coming back from London, and not even knowing a Scottish Cup Final was getting played.

I was reading a paper from the day after the 2nd replay and it mentioned that there was a murder on a Glasgow to London train on the Friday before the 1979 match with the Auld Enemy at Wembley on the Saturday. A 20 year old from Cumnock was killed on an overcrowded BR football special...Any recollection of a febrile atmosphere on the way down to London in 79? Has there been a P&B thread on Auld Enemy recollections? I think that would be great thread...

Untitle1d.thumb.png.c1e5ace59192d8a9d8d832edf5bc08b5.png

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was reading a paper from the day after the 2nd replay and it mentioned that there was a murder on a Glasgow to London train on the Friday before the 1979 match with the Auld Enemy at Wembley on the Saturday. A 20 year old from Cumnock was killed on an overcrowded BR football special...Any recollection of a febrile atmosphere on the way down to London in 79? Has there been a P&B thread on Auld Enemy recollections? I think that would be great thread...

I've no recollection of a murder, but was on an overnight train which departed from the east. It was packed when I alighted, and after a pile of drink I managed to fall asleep in the luggage rack. Mind little about the game, apart from Clemence playing well, and spent the Saturday and Sunday nights somewhere in Essex.

On the early afternoon return journey quite a few Scotland fans looked like they were on a holocaust journey, some missing basic items of clothes such as shoes. Quite a few claimed to have been in court that morning, in an effort to cadge fags and booze.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

'79 was my first visit to Wembley, went with my old man. He vowed never to go back after witnessing quite a few unsavoury incidents involving Scotland fans, typically exposing themselves to females. That was bad enough but when they had bairns with them in the car then that was a step too far for him. For all the drunkeness, and I was pished all weekend, I never saw much trouble. '83 however was an entirely different story

3 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

'83 however was an entirely different story

Don't keep us in suspense then Mr Dee, give us some tales from 83 please...83 was played in midweek in attempt to ward off Scottish hordes descending on London

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I've no recollection of a murder, but was on an overnight train which departed from the east. It was packed when I alighted, and after a pile of drink I managed to fall asleep in the luggage rack. Mind little about the game, apart from Clemence playing well, and spent the Saturday and Sunday nights somewhere in Essex.

On the early afternoon return journey quite a few Scotland fans looked like they were on a holocaust journey, some missing basic items of clothes such as shoes. Quite a few claimed to have been in court that morning, in an effort to cadge fags and booze.

Meanwhile, up in Scotland on Saturday May 26th 1979, Loch Lomond was hosting Scotland's young punks...

Lomond.thumb.png.45348ada6ce46e504353563477065f54.png

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Meanwhile, up in Scotland on Saturday May 26th 1979, Loch Lomond was hosting Scotland's young punks...

Lomond.thumb.png.45348ada6ce46e504353563477065f54.png

Going (staying?) off topic, I've seen most of these bands apart from Dave Edmunds Rockpile, especially Dr Feelgood, well into double figures, and the Average White Band, them mostly in their earlier years. Both bands still going, although the Feelgoods have had a completely different lineup these days.

Reflecting on today's music, that was a great weekend bill, and in many ways this thread is on a similar vein, reminiscing on what some may see as better times for Scottish football. 

Getting old right enough, but the alternative is death. ☠️

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I've seen most of these bands apart from Dave Edmunds Rockpile, especially Dr Feelgood, well into double figures

Unfortunately, I only saw Dr Feelgood the once, at the Renfrew Ferry, early 90's I think - Lee Brilleaux was just awesome, sadly he passed away not that long after.  Some band ....... the business.  RIP Lee.

18 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

View from the North Stand of the 1955 Scottish Cup final between Celtic and Clyde. Looked like a great vantage point although anecdotal evidence I've heard states that it was a pish stained coup of a place...

0ba14639ee72501db6523c43db071119.jpg

I can indeed confirm that it was a pish stained coup of a place - used to go quite a lot in the 70s/80s before reconstruction.  Used to wear the worst clothes/shoes I owned.  Was always some guy re-filling his lager can behind you when a goal was scored ....... you can imagine the rest.  Also can never forget the 1976 European Cup Final (Bayern v St Etienne) and getting through the Mt Florida end turnstiles along with loads of female St Etienne fans to be faced with the sight of hundreds of guys pissing on the walls cos the toilets were jammed full - can still remember the horror on the faces of those French fans - they clearly thought they had travelled back in time a couple of centuries.  Happy days!

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I can indeed confirm that it was a pish stained coup of a place - used to go quite a lot in the 70s/80s before reconstruction.  Used to wear the worst clothes/shoes I owned.  Was always some guy re-filling his lager can behind you when a goal was scored ....... you can imagine the rest.  Also can never forget the 1976 European Cup Final (Bayern v St Etienne) and getting through the Mt Florida end turnstiles along with loads of female St Etienne fans to be faced with the sight of hundreds of guys pissing on the walls cos the toilets were jammed full - can still remember the horror on the faces of those French fans - they clearly thought they had travelled back in time a couple of centuries.  Happy days!

Great anecdote but somehow I don't think you'll be invited to appear on one of those "wasn't football better in the old days" shows...

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Great anecdote but somehow I don't think you'll be invited to appear on one of those "wasn't football better in the old days" shows...

Ha ha!  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the big games at the time - and it was what we were used to, it was "of its time" - there weren't any fancy stadiums in Scotland then.  It wasn't what the French mademoiselles were used to though that's for sure.

Just now, Otis Blue said:

Ha ha!  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the big games at the time - and it was what we were used to, it was "of its time" - there weren't any fancy stadiums in Scotland then.  It wasn't what the French mademoiselles were used to though that's for sure.

The most important question is, of course, were they wids?!