A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

My first two Dons scarves. The club badges on the one on the left have worn off over the past 55 years.

6F437A25-ACA0-4235-8EF4-9C06CAD75CDC.jpeg

The one on the right is how I remember my Dad's Hearts scarf. The design at the end reminds me of the patches you used to be able to buy to sew on to a bar scarf.  Remember the V for Victory club patches?

22 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Regarding the scarves, these are in the style I recall from the 'sixties, although I can also mind the college style efforts.

scarves.thumb.jpg.1369bbf47c21735324b09e763862855d.jpg

The keeper is likely to be Roddy McKenzie, and I'm thinking that's the late Paul Jonquin, a great full back who played for Airdrie for many years.... but Neil Drake appears to have it right, as I doubted that was Broomfield.

image.gif.83690c7c4a92ef4920f8502caa19f778.gif

Where did you dig out that set of photos?

21 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I absolutely loved that shop. I was in my mid teens and after getting off the train from Dundee, I would always walk to Pittodrie past The Dons Shop and always go in. It was a complete novelty to have a club shop in those days, and I was upset when it closed.

Reminds me of the first two football kits I got before they became easily sourced and popular.

1. Primary 7 me and my mate got Airdrie kits, because no one else had them and they were very different. 

2. Secondary (1st year) - went on holiday to the north of Scotland, including Aberdeen, and got one of these  kits with number 4 on the back.

OJ on Twitter

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This Broons cartoon (copyright DC Thomson etc) is from 1960. 

IMG_20210413_220426506.thumb.jpg.55f5be9e6c800e367f427ce2279ac752.jpg

No printed scarves but Paw is looking for his "United scarf", the DAB.

ETA unless that's Cox's Stack in the background and he's a secret Lochee United fan. Two along the left from Paw is Ronnie Reagan oddly enough.

Auchenshoogle United shirley!

18 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Can I ask if the label is on either scarf? I seem to recall they were made of 'Terylene', and the company I mentioned from Linlithgow earlier on was the 'Signet Tie Company'. I've still got a Dundee United tie made by them, although this one is from the late 70s.

20210413_212426.jpg

Signet.jpg

The smaller one has no tag left on it at all. The bigger scarf with the silver stripes down it still has the tag “Macties of Scotland” with the drawing of a lion beside it.

20 hours ago, kingjoey said:

My first two Dons scarves. The club badges on the one on the left have worn off over the past 55 years.

I had the one on the right with an "Airdrie badge". My first before that, was the best, college style but lined. Lost in a fight with bouncers and Thistle supporters at Strathclyde Uni years later.

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This Broons cartoon (copyright DC Thomson etc) is from 1960. 

IMG_20210413_220426506.thumb.jpg.55f5be9e6c800e367f427ce2279ac752.jpg

No printed scarves but Paw is looking for his "United scarf", the DAB.

ETA unless that's Cox's Stack in the background and he's a secret Lochee United fan. Two along the left from Paw is Ronnie Reagan oddly enough.

I seem to remember one story from the WWII reprint annuals where Joe & Hen were arguing as one supported Celtic & the other Rangers.  Could be wrong.

On 13/04/2021 at 18:57, kingjoey said:

The one on the left is the same as mine.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The one on the left is the same as mine.

If you look closely at that one, both ends are extremely frayed. That is a reminder of lots of flicking at school both by me and against me being the only Dons fan, as far as I knew, in the whole school. 

Stevie Cowan scores for Hibernian at Ibrox in March 1986, Rangers goalkeeper Nicky Walker doesn't look too impressed.  I was surprised to read Cowan was the top goalscorer in Scotland that season, no mean feat considering Brian McClair,  M* J*hnst*n, Ally McCoist, Eric Black, John Robertson and Paul Sturrock were all in their prime that era

FB_IMG_1618510696755.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

Colin Cameron scores a penalty in the 2nd minute of the 1998 Scottish Cup final as Hearts beat Rangers 2-1 at Celtic Park, from memory the foul by torn faced *** Ian Ferguson was after about 30 seconds, the delay in taking the kick meaning the goal goes down as the second minute, certainly the quickest penalty goal in a SC final but I'm unsure of the quickest final goal ever in the history of the competition, any other posters know this one?

0_1032488.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Colin Cameron scores a penalty in the 2nd minute of the 1998 Scottish Cup final as Hearts beat Rangers 2-1 at Celtic Park, from memory the foul by torn faced *** Ian Ferguson was after about 30 seconds, the delay in taking the kick meaning the goal goes down as the second minute, certainly the quickest penalty goal in a SC final but I'm unsure of the quickest final goal ever in the history of the competition, any other posters know this one?

0_1032488.jpg

The 1976 Final I believe, the same two teams with the fat, diving, cheating arsehole Derek Johnstone with the goal in 42 seconds.

4 hours ago, EdmontonDandy said:

The 1976 Final I believe, the same two teams with the fat, diving, cheating arsehole Derek Johnstone with the goal in 42 seconds.

It was indeed, Hearts having been put into the final by Walter Smith (see previous page) conceded a goal from DJ that was scored before 3pm due to the ref starting the game a minute early....

a314c7c6e8c88a4f6776c92f9dbd5f2d.jpg

On 14 April 2021 at 13:09, Lurkst said:

Walter-Smith.jpg

45 years ago tonight, Dumbarton's Walter Smith bullets a header into his own net to give Hearts the lead in a Scottish Cup semi final replay. 

I was there that night 45 years ago. 

Front of the West Terracing (that's the old Sevco End to clarify for the so called neutrals)

On 15 April 2021 at 23:58, Lurkst said:

It was indeed, Hearts having been put into the final by Walter Smith (see previous page) conceded a goal from DJ that was scored before 3pm due to the ref starting the game a minute early....

a314c7c6e8c88a4f6776c92f9dbd5f2d.jpg

Hearts then played Celtic on the Monday night in a last game of the season fixture.

Hearts winning 3-1? in front of 10,000 fans.

I was there.