A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

50 minutes ago, neildrake said:

I am pretty sure the ground is Love Street and the player is Cammy  Murray of St Mirren 

Yep, definitely not Airdrie as terracing too big and strip not 'diamond enough'. Also it's never the wrong time to remind everyone that the John Hughes of exposing himself fame is not deemed worthy enough to merit an original nickname.

5 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A price list from 1973 from 57 Nelson Street...

IMG-20210218-WA0001.thumb.jpg.2369ff046d83e5dff8a636cdef714039.jpg

I absolutely loved that shop. I was in my mid teens and after getting off the train from Dundee, I would always walk to Pittodrie past The Dons Shop and always go in. It was a complete novelty to have a club shop in those days, and I was upset when it closed.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I learned recently that guid hoanest laddie & shroo ball enthusiast John 'Yogi' Hughes nickname comes from another John 'Yogi' Hughes known for his lengthy service to Celtic & being part of the Lisbon Lions squad albeit not taking part in the final.

hughes.jpg

Picture is from his swansong Celtic game against Airdrie on September 25th 1971. Hughes would then move onto Crystal Palace then Sunderland where his career ended due to injury. After playing Hughes had a spell coaching defunct junior team Baillieston then a season at Stranraer & lastly a role as the first ever manager of the SJFA international team. Internationally Hughes collected 8 caps & scored once for Scotland plus 6 appearances & 4 goals for the Scottish League XI.

If anyone could id the Airdrie players to sate my curiosity that'd be sound.

Grand Master and Deputy Grand Master respectively.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Regarding the scarves, these are in the style I recall from the 'sixties, although I can also mind the college style efforts.

scarves.thumb.jpg.1369bbf47c21735324b09e763862855d.jpg

image.gif.83690c7c4a92ef4920f8502caa19f778.gif

That's the ones I remember from the 60s.

So was mine except it was red and white and had "Aberdeen" on it.

I used to have a fantastic Dons one with two length-wise “silver” stripes and a list of trophies. To give you an idea of the age the last “trophy” win on the list was the 1971 Dryburgh Cup!

20 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Tommy Walker's 1975 Scottish Cup Final jersey was sold for £740 at McTear's Auctioneers in August 2020. It looks a dead weight, imagine having to run about in that thing for 90 minutes in a sweltering May afternoon. The drought that caused the 1976 heatwave began in November 1974 and the Cup Final day looks like it was played in sunshine.

I was curious as to who Airdrie had defeated en route to the '75 Cup Final and see that they had beaten Motherwell after a replay in the semi-final!

A very impressive record for Airdrieonians I would say, with three Scottish Cup Finals between 1975-1995. Coincidentally, I was watching the 1995 Cup Final last night.

I did attend one match during their 1992 cup run when they beat Huntly 3-1 away from home in match played with an undercurrent of violence throughout.156302-0-medium.thumb.jpg.345d961f7dadf7180e5d7562fc7217ac.jpg

Thanks for the post. I knew about Tommy Walker's shirt and as you say how heavy those ones were. He was one of my favourite midfielders and a few of my friends worked beside him in HMRC before he went south , and they all speak highly of him. 1975 was a sunny day and I was on the uncovered North enclosure . I was at the Huntly game and arrived just in time having misjudged our travelling time. I don't recollect any violent stuff at that game but I was never a Section B follower. I think Huntly's goalie was John Gardiner who was in my school football team in my early teaching days in Easterhouse-a great guy. These finals were good but losing is always painful.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

My first two Dons scarves. The club badges on the one on the left have worn off over the past 55 years.

6F437A25-ACA0-4235-8EF4-9C06CAD75CDC.jpeg

Can I ask if the label is on either scarf? I seem to recall they were made of 'Terylene', and the company I mentioned from Linlithgow earlier on was the 'Signet Tie Company'. I've still got a Dundee United tie made by them, although this one is from the late 70s.

20210413_212426.jpg

Signet.jpg

This Broons cartoon (copyright DC Thomson etc) is from 1960. 

IMG_20210413_220426506.thumb.jpg.55f5be9e6c800e367f427ce2279ac752.jpg

No printed scarves but Paw is looking for his "United scarf", the DAB.

ETA unless that's Cox's Stack in the background and he's a secret Lochee United fan. Two along the left from Paw is Ronnie Reagan oddly enough.

Edited by tamthebam
Because

7 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I learned recently that guid hoanest laddie & shroo ball enthusiast John 'Yogi' Hughes nickname comes from another John 'Yogi' Hughes known for his lengthy service to Celtic & being part of the Lisbon Lions squad albeit not taking part in the final.

hughes.jpg

Picture is from his swansong Celtic game against Airdrie on September 25th 1971

It's Love St, a 3-0 win for Celtic on 29/03/1969.

Cammie Murray and Jim Thorburn are the St. Mirren players.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1968&GameID=196903290

Edited by Arch Stanton

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This Broons cartoon (copyright DC Thomson etc) is from 1960. 

IMG_20210413_220426506.thumb.jpg.55f5be9e6c800e367f427ce2279ac752.jpg

No printed scarves but Paw is looking for his "United scarf", the DAB.

ETA unless that's Cox's Stack in the background and he's a secret Lochee United fan. Two along the left from Paw is Ronnie Reagan oddly enough.

Alan Bennett and Nigel Kennedy also at the gemme. 

(Humour aside some brilliant caricatures of the Scottish populace of the time in there).

Edited by Lurkst

6 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Alan Bennett and Nigel Kennedy also at the gemme. 

(Humour aside some brilliant caricatures of the Scottish populous of the time in there).

(Populace)

Dudley D Watkins was a genius of an artist. I love those 50s and 60s Oor Wullies. I have a lot of the old books my dad collected.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

(Populace)

Dudley D Watkins was a genius of an artist. I love those 50s and 60s Oor Wullies. I have a lot of the old books my dad collected.

Correct, thanks sub-ed ;)

And 100% agree re Watkins.