A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

The first scarf that I ever had was a birthday present from my aunt and uncle in 1966. It had the club logo on it but no idea where they got it, probably in some clothes shop in Aberdeen. I still have it.

A price list from 1973 from 57 Nelson Street...

IMG-20210218-WA0001.thumb.jpg.2369ff046d83e5dff8a636cdef714039.jpg

36 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree with what you say but replica tops with kids were very popular in the 1980s. I must've had at least 30 strips (sometimes just the top) of variety of clubs in the1980s along with my Aberdeen and occasionally Scotland tops. And I was by no means alone amongst the kids at my school... Perhaps the adult market didn't kick off until around Italia 90

For kids, sure. I can remember Shoot!, Match and other magazines being full of adverts for replica strips in the 1980s. For adults c. 1990 is probably correct.

From memory my first replica top (not Montrose) was around 84/85.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

35 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I agree with what you say but replica tops with kids were very popular in the 1980s. I must've had at least 30 strips (sometimes just the top) of variety of clubs in the1980s along with my Aberdeen and occasionally Scotland tops. And I was by no means alone amongst the kids at my school... Perhaps the adult market didn't kick off until around Italia 90

Adults were more sensible in those days ....

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

A future Hearts coach in Soviet colours. Eduard Malofeev (far left) lines up for the USSR against North Korea at Ayrseome Park in Middlesbrough in July 1966. Malofeev scored twice in a 3-0 win and the Soviets made the semi-finals. (Long story on that here).

Malofeev was very unfairly characterised as a clown and buffoon by the Hearts support at the time, but this was typical Anglophone arrogance / ignorance.

He was on a hiding to nothing, a temporary coach with little English in a shambolically-run club and a very unhappy squad. He is a legendary coach who guided Dinamo Minsk to the 1982 Soviet title, when that really meant something, and several decent campaigns in European with them in European competition. He is still about and revered in Belarus and the wider Soviet world as one of the better coaches of the old days; even in his late seventies he spends most days at Dinamo coaching youngsters.

BiUNQX4CQAEpUqt.jpg

I remember an inteview, I'm sure at Parkhead, when Malofeev was head coach at Hearts and he was ridiculed by the Scottish media because of his delivery via a translator.

The Scottish media has a long recent past of ridiculing coaches and it creates a climate for these coaches to fail in. The supporters are less patient when they read and hear journalists and pundits criticising the non-Scottish coach's 'methods' or 'ideas'. I'm sure this is instigated by the ex-players who manage and want the Scottish game to be a closed shop for those that have played in our own domestic league.

The feed us the line about the excellence of the Largs set-up and the coaches it produces whilst our game falls a little further behind technically with each passing season and we have to digest the 'agricultural' style so beloved by the Scottish based philistines.  

Totally agree. Hearts haven't exactly had a fusilade of league-winning ex-international coaches to call upon down the years. And there very much is an old boys network of players that ensures that the same mediocrities get club gigs time and time again; a mixture of insular familiarity and risk-averseness characterising the leadership of most SPFL clubs.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The first scarf that I ever had was a birthday present from my aunt and uncle in 1966. It had the club logo on it but no idea where they got it, probably in some clothes shop in Aberdeen. I still have it.

Scarves in the late 60s and 70s were often not the woollen bar scarves but a cotton/cloth variety with club badges and logos. When bar scarves came out I was keen to get one, and funnily enough a woman at my work bought me a real cracker which was red/white/black bars from a St Mirren shop in Paisley. To that point they had been mainly two colours.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

That's probably the same type I have/had.

10 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Scarves in the late 60s and 70s were often not the woollen bar scarves but a cotton/cloth variety with club badges and logos.

Aye, had a couple of them. Think they were polyester, in a similar style to club ties which were also available at the time. As I recall a business in Linlithgow was one of the companies which made them. 

I think the correct term used was college scarf. My mum and dad both had one( Ayr and Hearts respectively). Club badge or a design of some sort at either end and club colour stripes the length of the scarf.

This reminds me of an old episode of Taggart.  Mark McManus looks at his new sidekicks Uni scarf with a pained expression and asks " Whit ffitba team dae you support?"

Edited by paulbrucerick

58 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Scarves in the late 60s and 70s were often not the woollen bar scarves but a cotton/cloth variety with club badges and logos. When bar scarves came out I was keen to get one, and funnily enough a woman at my work bought me a real cracker which was red/white/black bars from a St Mirren shop in Paisley. To that point they had been mainly two colours.

Like this. 

Savile Rogue Red, Black and White Minibar Cashmere Rugby Scarf

I learned recently that guid hoanest laddie & shroo ball enthusiast John 'Yogi' Hughes nickname comes from another John 'Yogi' Hughes known for his lengthy service to Celtic & being part of the Lisbon Lions squad albeit not taking part in the final.

hughes.jpg

Picture is from his swansong Celtic game against Airdrie on September 25th 1971. Hughes would then move onto Crystal Palace then Sunderland where his career ended due to injury. After playing Hughes had a spell coaching defunct junior team Baillieston then a season at Stranraer & lastly a role as the first ever manager of the SJFA international team. Internationally Hughes collected 8 caps & scored once for Scotland plus 6 appearances & 4 goals for the Scottish League XI.

If anyone could id the Airdrie players to sate my curiosity that'd be sound.

Edited by GNU_Linux

41 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I learned recently that guid hoanest laddie & shroo ball enthusiast John 'Yogi' Hughes nickname comes from another John 'Yogi' Hughes known for his lengthy service to Celtic & being part of the Lisbon Lions squad albeit not taking part in the final.

hughes.jpg

Picture is from his swansong Celtic game against Airdrie on September 25th 1971. Hughes would then move onto Crystal Palace then Sunderland where his career ended due to injury. After playing Hughes had a spell coaching defunct junior team Baillieston then a season at Stranraer & lastly a role as the first ever manager of the SJFA international team. Internationally Hughes collected 8 caps & scored once for Scotland plus 6 appearances & 4 goals for the Scottish League XI.

I am pretty sure the ground is Love Street and the player is Cammy  Murray of St Mirren 

Brian McGinlay is a c**t of the cuntiest order. In the last minute of extra time in a Scottish Cup semi-final replay he awarded a goal to Rangers (1872) which the St. Mirren players were adamant didn't cross the line. The game wasn't televised, there were no fans at the Mount Florida end due to reconstruction and therefore no recrimination for the p***k cheating.

Still, Aberdeen pumped the currants in the final so the cheating came to f**k all.

Regarding the scarves, these are in the style I recall from the 'sixties, although I can also mind the college style efforts.

scarves.thumb.jpg.1369bbf47c21735324b09e763862855d.jpg

47 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

hughes.jpg

The keeper is likely to be Roddy McKenzie, and I'm thinking that's the late Paul Jonquin, a great full back who played for Airdrie for many years.... but Neil Drake appears to have it right, as I doubted that was Broomfield.

image.gif.83690c7c4a92ef4920f8502caa19f778.gif

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
forgot to add photo, and correction on Hughes photo