A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A close relative of mine is from the same village as a referee mentioned in this thread.

I don’t think Hugh Bonkle will appreciate you calling Dallas a village. 

36 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

There was an incident in St Enoch Square shopping centre toilets, was widely reported at the time. 

What’s the story here? 

Said referee used to be a regular on the after dinner (lodge) circuit and often boast that he’d never once awarded your mhob a penalty in the 20-odd Old Firm games that he’d officiated.

Edited by 8MileBU

McGinlay wasn't reffing in Scotland when I first started going to games (1986) and my mate alluded to a ref called McGinlay who'd been banned for unsavoury practices.

I think he was reffing elsewhere - somewhere like Cyprus or Malta - and was rehired by the SFA as the refs at the time were considered to be so bad. He might have done a couple of Meadowbank matches because I did see him ref games and thought he was quite good.

18 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

McGinlay wasn't reffing in Scotland when I first started going to games (1986) and my mate alluded to a ref called McGinlay who'd been banned for unsavoury practices.

I think he was reffing elsewhere - somewhere like Cyprus or Malta - and was rehired by the SFA as the refs at the time were considered to be so bad. He might have done a couple of Meadowbank matches because I did see him ref games and thought he was quite good.

I've been let down too often by refs and their habit of getting involved in unsavoury practices. 

I thought McGinlay of Balfron was one of the better referees until the lewdness intervened. I have a vague recollection of him refereeing at the much missed Aberdeen International Football Festival at Seaton Park during his wilderness years but that might be false memory. 

I use to think Vautrot of France was a great official and then stories emerged of his alleged corrupt behaviour. Every time I watch an old match that he's involved in on YouTube it now looks so obvious that there's something sleekit about him. 

Then there's the Tiny Wharton pic with the old funny handshake with Greig. 

I think to want to be a referee in the first place then there's a will ingrained in the psyche to dominate by rule book rather than physicality and to have the power to influence proceedings by misuse of the rules they are meant to be overseeing. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 15:34, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was sad to hear of Willie Whigham's death earlier this month, a keeper who served mainly at Brockville and Ayresome Park. The dirtiest player in any team he played for, Willie never used the team bath after matches, simply changing back into the clothes he'd arrived in after the game ended.

Willie-Whigham.jpg

I'm bumping this one back up for no reason other than that being a magnificent photograph.

I want that image on a T-shirt to celebrate real fitba.

Don't remember this chap at all...was this taken before he got the gig as the singer in Sham 69 ?

"If the kids...were Ayr United"..."We would never"...etc...

22 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was born in 1975 so wasn't attending matches during this era; however, the aspect that stands out for me is how grim the crowd looks, no colours just an industrial mass of humanity probably turned up straight from working in the morning. 

Although, I suppose their wouldn't have been much replica shirts back then and even scarves would have been in its infancy.

We do have a tendancy to remember the past fondly but that picture of the 1974 cup final looks grim.

Whilst the English FA Cup has went backwards as a spectacle, I actually think the Scottish version is at its peak presently. 

Actually, it would be interesting to see a comparison with the same view from the 1985,1988 and 2005 finals, although obviously the roof will be on in the latter... 

Excuse me, it was 1974 not 1874. Scarves were certainly not in their infancy. 

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I used the wrong word in "infancy', but I meant that it wasn't until the onset of the 1960s that the scarf became de rigueur for football fans. 

I’ll let you off, you young whippersnapper.

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Surely not since 2019? 😮

You're correct, the 2020 and 2021 Scottish Cup Finals won't be much of a spectacle, but hopefully a temporary blip and fans can return for the 2022 edition.

Although, I get the feeling certain quarters aren't overly concerned about the fans being locked out.

What's been evident throughout the pandemic that it is the spectators are the life blood of sporting events. The participants don't have to be elite, but if you have a big audience then drama  and excitement can unfold.

I have a dream that the fans return en masse again after the restrictions are lifted. Sell out crowds for every Scottish club at every game, a full Hampden for the Scottish Junior Cup Final, a return to the early-to mid 20th century of going to watch your local team....Obviously it won't happen but it's nice to dream.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

There was an incident in St Enoch Square shopping centre toilets, was widely reported at the time. 

In my recall, his last major match was in Glasgow, Hearts v Dundee United SC semi final (where he was terrible, yet I'm bound to say that), and the unsavoury episode occurred in St Vincent Street. Due to the  warning received from police, and the publicity, he withdrew from officiating at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico.

7 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

I'm bumping this one back up for no reason other than that being a magnificent photograph.

I want that image on a T-shirt to celebrate real fitba.

Don't remember this chap at all...was this taken before he got the gig as the singer in Sham 69 ?

"If the kids...were Ayr United"..."We would never"...etc...

Willie was a teddy boy, complete with the clothes and shoes, and quiff.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Excuse me, it was 1974 not 1874. Scarves were certainly not in their infancy. 

Scarves have been a big part of the game for as long as I can remember, which extends to the early 'sixties, maybe longer.....

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

In my recall, his last major match was in Glasgow, Hearts v Dundee United SC semi final (where he was terrible, yet I'm bound to say that), and the unsavoury episode occurred in St Vincent Street. Due to the  warning received from police, and the publicity, he withdrew from officiating at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico.

He refereed at Rugby Park the night after the story had broken in the press. I'm ashamed to say now the abuse fired in his direction from the shed probably made up his mind to quit.

IIRC he returned to officiating a year or two later though.

33 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Scarves have been a big part of the game for as long as I can remember, which extends to the early 'sixties, maybe longer.....

I don't remember those days but before the mid-60s scarves etc were not sold by a club shop (there was no such thing) but made at home or bought, if the colours existed, in a department store. These scarves were not specific to clubs- a blue and white bar scarf would do just as well for Montrose as for St. Johnstone or Raith Rovers. There were all kinds of other eccentricities before the sixties- politician-style rosettes in club colours, wooden rattles in club colours, etc. A hipster start-up attempt to re-introduce rattles seems to have failed.

Club merchandising kind of took off in the seventies but more often than not a local sports shop would sell merchandise rather than the club itself. Club shops weren't really a serious thing until the late 70s / early 80s at bigger clubs. I remember it was the mid-1980s before you could buy a Montrose replica top, and some (then) second division clubs were later even than that in getting their merchandising off the ground. From my memory replica tops didn't really become popular (i.e. a common sight on the high street) until around Italia '90.

The irony about companies like TOFFS is that they sell faithful replicas of shirts that were never available commercially.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

A future Hearts coach in Soviet colours. Eduard Malofeev (far left) lines up for the USSR against North Korea at Ayrseome Park in Middlesbrough in July 1966. Malofeev scored twice in a 3-0 win and the Soviets made the semi-finals. (Long story on that here).

Malofeev was very unfairly characterised as a clown and buffoon by the Hearts support at the time, but this was typical Anglophone arrogance / ignorance.

He was on a hiding to nothing, a temporary coach with little English in a shambolically-run club and a very unhappy squad. He is a legendary coach who guided Dinamo Minsk to the 1982 Soviet title, when that really meant something, and several decent campaigns with them in European competition. He is still about and revered in Belarus and the wider Soviet world as one of the better coaches of the old days; even in his late seventies he spends most days at Dinamo coaching youngsters.

BiUNQX4CQAEpUqt.jpg

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

You're correct, the 2020 and 2021 Scottish Cup Finals won't be much of a spectacle, but hopefully a temporary blip and fans can return for the 2022 edition.

Although, I get the feeling certain quarters aren't overly concerned about the fans being locked out.

What's been evident throughout the pandemic that it is the spectators are the life blood of sporting events. The participants don't have to be elite, but if you have a big audience then drama  and excitement can unfold.

I have a dream that the fans return en masse again after the restrictions are lifted. Sell out crowds for every Scottish club at every game, a full Hampden for the Scottish Junior Cup Final, a return to the early-to mid 20th century of going to watch your local team....Obviously it won't happen but it's nice to dream.

Take it you aren't exactly up to speed with what's happened in the world of Junior football in recent times.

On 11 April 2021 at 18:52, Drew Brees said:

Celtic v Dundee Utd 1974

7F4039B7-191E-4870-AB95-108EE369304D.jpeg

Me at the very front the other side of the fence on the left.

The following Saturday was the Glasgow Cup Final with an add on of it being the city's 800th anniversary.

The game was played in a downpour and finished funnily enough 2-2.

There was no replay.

39 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I don't remember those days but before the mid-60s scarves etc were not sold by a club shop (there was no such thing) but made at home or bought, if the colours existed, in a department store. These scarves were not specific to clubs- a blue and white bar scarf would do just as well for Montrose as for St. Johnstone or Raith Rovers. There were all kinds of other eccentricities before the sixties- politician-style rosettes in club colours, wooden rattles in club colours, etc. A hipster start-up attempt to re-introduce rattles seems to have failed.

Club merchandising kind of took off in the seventies but more often than not a local sports shop would sell merchandise rather than the club itself. Club shops weren't really a serious thing until the late 70s / early 80s at bigger clubs. I remember it was the mid-1980s before you could buy a Montrose replica top, and some (then) second division clubs were later even than that in getting their merchandising off the ground. From my memory replica tops didn't really become popular (i.e. a common sight on the high street) until around Italia '90.

The irony about companies like TOFFS is that they sell faithful replicas of shirts that were never available commercially.

A gents outfitters at Bridgeton Cross in Glasgow was selling football scarfs in the early 1930s according to my late father.

The shop was still there in the 1990s.

55 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The first scarf that I ever had was a birthday present from my aunt and uncle in 1966. It had the club logo on it but no idea where they got it, probably in some clothes shop in Aberdeen. I still have it.

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The first scarf that I ever had was a birthday present from my aunt and uncle in 1966. It had the club logo on it but no idea where they got it, probably in some clothes shop in Aberdeen. I still have it.

Somebody out there is producing replica scarfs from the 1960s/1970s.

Funnily i was shown an Aberdeen version a couple of years back in Glasgow.

Admit I was mightily impressed or maybe it was just an overdose of nostalgic memories of the Beach End pre wooden benches.