A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Looks like either penny Hope or Douglas Hope

We used to think they were bad but they are absolutely miles ahead of the clowns refereeing today.   They knew how to 'man manage' players, or probably were actually allowed to do so rather than today's clones.

I seem to remember some story about someone wanting to 'dance like Vic Kasule' but don't know anything other than that.

Think it's Dougie. I thought the referees then were poor, right enough, and I'm not too sure they were far better than today's batch.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtic v Dundee Utd 1974

7F4039B7-191E-4870-AB95-108EE369304D.jpeg

The stadium view has been up before from memory, but here's one from that match, three famous Scottish football characters on view.

1974.jpg.e95aabb2068d3b6611ed086af4c42466.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think it's Dougie. I thought the referees than were poor, right enough, and I'm not too sure they were far better than today's batch.

The stadium view has been up before from memory, but here's one from that match, three famous Scottish football characters on view.

1974.jpg.e95aabb2068d3b6611ed086af4c42466.jpg

Never knew they 2 played for Utd in that game. 

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Didn't Denis Law score the first goal, with Jimmy Johnstone getting the other two, the second an angled drive from the corner of the six-yard box at the Celtic end ?

You're right, I recall incorrectly.

My family moved to Dundee in late 1966 and I started secondary school in summer 1967. The  majority of pupils at my school were Dundee supporters, they’d won the league only 5 years earlier, and it stayed like that all through my school years. The relegation of Dundee in 1975 is something they have never recovered from, and probably never will. Point of interest, or name dropping, is that the only United fan that I can remember who was in my year at secondary was George Galloway.
What was George Galloway like back then?

6 hours ago, MeadowArab said:
On 05/04/2021 at 19:17, kingjoey said:
My family moved to Dundee in late 1966 and I started secondary school in summer 1967. The  majority of pupils at my school were Dundee supporters, they’d won the league only 5 years earlier, and it stayed like that all through my school years. The relegation of Dundee in 1975 is something they have never recovered from, and probably never will. Point of interest, or name dropping, is that the only United fan that I can remember who was in my year at secondary was George Galloway.

What was George Galloway like back then?

Not a lot different, but he did make me look good when we played football. However, what happens in secondary school stays in secondary school 

14 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtic v Dundee Utd 1974

7F4039B7-191E-4870-AB95-108EE369304D.jpeg

I was born in 1975 so wasn't attending matches during this era; however, the aspect that stands out for me is how grim the crowd looks, no colours just an industrial mass of humanity probably turned up straight from working in the morning. 

Although, I suppose their wouldn't have been much replica shirts back then and even scarves would have been in its infancy.

We do have a tendancy to remember the past fondly but that picture of the 1974 cup final looks grim.

Whilst the English FA Cup has went backwards as a spectacle, I actually think the Scottish version is at its peak presently. 

Actually, it would be interesting to see a comparison with the same view from the 1985,1988 and 2005 finals, although obviously the roof will be on in the latter... 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

15 hours ago, The Mantis said:

My first impression was Brian McGinlay but who knows...
I was at a Thistle v Caley derby in, I think, 1991.  Jim Leishman was the (short-lived) Thistle manager at the time and had just been caught drink-driving in Inverness. The story was that he left the boardroom to go and buy more bevvy after being trounced in a League Cup tie v Caley the previous midweek but was stopped by the polis. It was rumoured that they were tipped off by one half of the Caley fanzine duo.
Anyway the Caley support were in their element before the game with every possible licence-related song being utilised. I suppose you had to be there. But no sooner had the Leish songs dried up than the teams were announced, and the ref was... Brian McGinlay. Older posters will remember that McGinlay  was struck off the referees’ list for “personal reasons”.  So a new round of songs were started up...

I remember Brian McGinlay was outed as gay when people still cared about such things. Sadly he got a lot of homophobic abuse after that story came out. Early 90s as I recall. I didn't realise he was actually struck off the list for it- terrible if so.

He was a really decent referee, in the days when their town and full initials used to be published with every teamline.

Mr B.R. McGinlay (Balfron)

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Whilst the English FA Cup has went backwards as a spectacle, I actually think the Scottish version is at its peak presently. 

I used to post a lot on the Football ground guide forum and got tickets for 14 of the members for the 2014 final at Celtic Park. 

The English in the forum agree with the above point and some have been coming back every year as against the "commercial FA Cup final"

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was born in 1975 so wasn't attending matches during this era; however, the aspect that stands out for me is how grim the crowd looks, no colours just an industrial mass of humanity probably turned up straight from working in the morning. 

Although, I suppose their wouldn't have been much replica shirts back then and even scarves would have been in its infancy.

We do have a tendancy to remember the past fondly but that picture of the 1974 cup final looks grim.

Actually, it would be interesting to see a comparison with the same view from the 1985,1988 and 2005 finals, although obviously the roof will be on in the latter... 

I've been to three Scottish Cup Finals, 1970, 1985 & 2005. In 1970 i was nine years old, stood with my dad on the section of terrace pictured in this thread with an attendance of around 109,000 and saw little or nothing of the game.  I did however see plenty of men pishing in empty beer cans.  Got  a stand ticket for 1985 so obviously got to see the game but no great spectacle. By 2005 Hampden all seated and great spectacle but rubbish match. Certainly more sense of occasion brought to the day by the authorities as the years have gone by. However, nothing like the hype that use to accompany the FA Cup Final back in the day. For those too young to recall think coverage of Prince Phil's death transposed to a game of football.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I have a Dons' scarf from the mid 60s

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I have a Dons' scarf from the mid 60s

I started going to Dens regularly in 67 and always had a Dundee scarf  plus a tammy in the winter months. I'd say 99.9% of supporters up to about the age of 20 did as well. My old man on the other hand never wore a scarf and that was the case with the majority of adults. Might have been something to do with going out straight after the game, the pubs closed at 9:30 back then

6 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

I've been to three Scottish Cup Finals, 1970, 1985 & 2005. In 1970 i was nine years old, stood with my dad on the section of terrace pictured in this thread with an attendance of around 109,000 and saw little or nothing of the game.  I did however see plenty of men pishing in empty beer cans.  Got  a stand ticket for 1985 so obviously got to see the game but no great spectacle. By 2005 Hampden all seated and great spectacle but rubbish match. Certainly more sense of occasion brought to the day by the authorities as the years have gone by. However, nothing like the hype that use to accompany the FA Cup Final back in the day. For those too young to recall think coverage of Prince Phil's death transposed to a game of football.

The initial post about how grimy and colourless it all seemed then made several good points as does yours from being so young for a cup final. It made think of the finals I have been at: my first was as a neutral 16 yr old in 1964 when I think Rangers beat Dundee and scarves were about all that distinguished the fans. Later I attended Airdrie finals in 1975/92/95 and of course lost them all but there was an increase in the gear being worn and the general sense of people having more time and money to see a Cup final as an occasion to smarten up. I was invited by a Hearts sponsoring company to attend the 1986(?) final where they lost to Aberdeen and I had to wear something maroon and settled on a maroon tie. They lost as well. My one triumph came with my Dundee Utd supporting son in law and an "Arab" top somehow appeared, against Ross County-at least I saw them win as I feared I was a Jonah.   The onset of replica shirts has been huge and I confess to wearing them to some of our Challenge Cup wins , but never on a non footballing occasion.

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The initial post about how grimy and colourless it all seemed then made several good points as does yours from being so young for a cup final. It made think of the finals I have been at: my first was as a neutral 16 yr old in 1964 when I think Rangers beat Dundee and scarves were about all that distinguished the fans. Later I attended Airdrie finals in 1975/92/95 and of course lost them all but there was an increase in the gear being worn and the general sense of people having more time and money to see a Cup final as an occasion to smarten up. I was invited by a Hearts sponsoring company to attend the 1986(?) final where they lost to Aberdeen and I had to wear something maroon and settled on a maroon tie. They lost as well. My one triumph came with my Dundee Utd supporting son in law and an "Arab" top somehow appeared, against Ross County-at least I saw them win as I feared I was a Jonah.   The onset of replica shirts has been huge and I confess to wearing them to some of our Challenge Cup wins , but never on a non footballing occasion.

Tommy Walker's 1975 Scottish Cup Final jersey was sold for £740 at McTear's Auctioneers in August 2020. It looks a dead weight, imagine having to run about in that thing for 90 minutes in a sweltering May afternoon. The drought that caused the 1976 heatwave began in November 1974 and the Cup Final day looks like it was played in sunshine.

I was curious as to who Airdrie had defeated en route to the '75 Cup Final and see that they had beaten Motherwell after a replay in the semi-final!

A very impressive record for Airdrieonians I would say, with three Scottish Cup Finals between 1975-1995. Coincidentally, I was watching the 1995 Cup Final last night.

I did attend one match during their 1992 cup run when they beat Huntly 3-1 away from home in match played with an undercurrent of violence throughout.156302-0-medium.thumb.jpg.345d961f7dadf7180e5d7562fc7217ac.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A close relative of mine is from the same village as a referee mentioned in this thread.

They DEFINITELY confirm this unnamed referee was known to be iffy and was not surprised when he did indeed eventually get caught up to no good.

There was an incident in St Enoch Square shopping centre toilets, was widely reported at the time.